3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on twisting strings before I start?  (Read 565 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on twisting strings before I start?
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Just finished building a flemish sting board. I have two spools of BCY 500, a server and serving. I even have some earth scented string wax(season opens in a few weeks  :thumbsup:  ). I have watched Doin the twist twice, and plan a third time tomorrow while the boy naps. I have researched and read everything I can find on flemish string making.Then I think Im gonna jump in with both feet.
I dont know though...somehow I think it seems...too easy? Did I just jinx myself?
I also plan on building an endless loop jig and trying that too...

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on twisting strings before I start?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I bought 3 rivers dvd on flemish strings. Watched it and thought " nothing to it." I was right . nothing to it. It is fun shooting with a string you made yourself. You'll enjoy it.
Jim

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Jamie,
I've been making endless loop strings since the early 70's. Started twisting flemish strings around 1981. Most guys don't realize how easy string making is. Don't over think the process, just make the string. After you finish the first one you'll pretty much have learned 98% of what you need to know to make a working string. The other 2% is getting a feel for having the length turn out where you want it consistently. I've always thought the hardest part of string making is getting the right tension set on the server.

Remember one thing, if you tell everyone you made your own string, before you know it you'll be making them for everyone! ( Now you've gone and done it!)

Good Luck!

Offline Big-un08

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
Jamie, The only advise I can offer here is to try and be consistent. The tightness of your twists can vary the overall length of the string.
Experience is something that you do not get until right after you need it!!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »
I'd pick up doing the twist, dont need it but it WILL take you from beginner to perfection in just a string or two...all the lil tricks are there!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »
Dan, Dan, Dan... Ishi here said that he was about to watch it for the third time. Good advice, though, and it was this video that reinforced what I had guessed at all along. There is a lot of detail in there that will help you get the string of your dreams.

And that 2% thingy is right! I made about six strings getting one the right length. Then the next one cae out right, but I had to finagle it by making the second loop   just big enough to wriggle over the lower nock. Of course I tell folks that's on purpose so that the string won't fall off while the bow is unbraced.   ;)

I should have it licked within four more strings...
Have fun, Jamie! Hey, where did you get that "dirty" string wax?
Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Youtube has some short videos from three rivers and other folks on twisting strings,,
TGMM

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
:rolleyes:  

So Im thinking 16 strands is way too thick of a string...
Im also having an issue with it untwisting before I can wrap it back towards me. I think I need better wax...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I always (4 strings) have trouble with the second loop and keeping the twists right. Should probably get the "doing the twist" dvd to get the secrets.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
razor, just curious what you're doing on the 2nd loop that is wrong?  Have a friend having this problem, he does get on here and might see this thread (or might not dunno) but he lives a ways away from me so I cant fix the problem, ugg!

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
B50 doesn't hold twist like the FF materials.  Wax will help.  

It IS simple.  So simple it's dang near impossible to explain in words.  It's the concept that's important, not so much the technique which can be unique for each individual.  In the most basic terms, each lay is twisted in one direction.  Then when combined together twisted in the other direction simultaneously untwisting each but wrapping around each other.  Again, too simple to put into words.  I don't "twist" the whole string for example, just the loops.  I do put about 20 turns reverse twist into the lays though, which is the critical step, BEFORE you start the second loop.  

You don't need a "jig" to measure the stands either.  Just lay one on the braced bow, wrap it around the nock extending an appropriate lenght back onto itself to allow for joining the loop.  Leave about 2" extra for the twist factor, then stagger the stands about 1/4" each.  

There's a certain knack to it you develop after a while, like most manual tasks.  It's great fun at first but has become a burden for me actually after countless dozens.  

I did twist up a little lenght of cordage for my dotter in the yard one spring day, from stalks off a dead hybiscus plant.  I just twisted the stalks and beat the bark off the fibers rough like and went to reverse twisting.  Took maybe 2 minutes while she watched, and it was admittedly ugly but she was much impressed by the strenght of it when finished.  She's older now, and at 14 it takes a lot to impress a girl!  LOL

Reverse twist cordage is a primitive skill perhaps unrivaled in it's role in advancing civilizaton, imho.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
If you don't get it figured out in a couple weeks we'll twist a string or two in camp  :)

I normally make my B50 strings with 12 strands (~60# @30" bows) can't remember if BCY's material is the same diameter as Brownell's or not.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
OK better wax helped a ton! Im making one up, but had to pause for baby duty. It wont be pretty, but would work...if I had a 90# 60" bow.  :biglaugh:
                         -Jamie

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Make that a 50" bow....not sure what happened there, unless I messed up building the board. Anyway, it is a string. Doubt it will ever be used, but it is a string. LMAO.
                         -Jamie

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
12 strands is ok for the poundages that you are gonna shoot. The more you make strings the easier it gets, took about 5 or 6 before I said ,"why have been buying stings"; take your time you 'll do fine!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Problem I have is the reverse wraps on the second loop. Never seem to have enough of those. By the time I get to the end of the second loop it is all balles up and doesn't want to twist right. Akdan, havn't got it fixed yet but havn't done many strings either.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
My second one came out much better! Sadly, I think it is way too short, unless B500 stretches about five inches when it is all said and done.
I think I need to tweak my homemade flemish board and build a few more. Overall...Im liking it. Easy once you find your...whats the word....system?

Any of you thinking about trying it, go for it. I think it is yet another skill that will come in handy.
                         -Jamie

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
it all balls up? hmmmmm...now that aint right LOL.  I never heard of counter twisting till I met Chad and never had them ball up while twisting....that's one I'd love to see too!  Dognabit, I live to far ugg!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »
I've just started too, and use a jig bought from Kustom King. Using that, I haven't yet had a problem with string length. They've turned-out the right length. Now, I just need more practice getting the twists tighter...
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 06:16:00 AM »
Every time I make one, one of the bundles always end up about 1-2 inches longer after making my first loop.  Not sure what I am doing wrong, but need to find a copy of doing the twist I guess.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©