3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sent control clothing  (Read 581 times)

Offline 36bound

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sent control clothing
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Wow- I must have all the olfactory-challenged deer behind my house. I'm absolutely convinced that the stuff works, and works well. It doesn't "eliminate" scent per se', but it certainly helps to minimize the "eminent danger" radius of your down wind scent. What I'm saying is this: On many, MANY occasions I've had deer walk past and down wind of me and react to my scent as though they were smelling danger that was 100-200 yards away instead of 15-30 yards away. FACT! And I might add, a fact that would be easy enough to demonstrate with a piece of dental floss, a video camera and a deer passing by downwind relative to the blowing dental floss.

It's almost a waste of words to say "hunt the wind". HOW ELSE would one hunt?

NOT dissimilar to washing our clothes in baking soda; or using scent free deodorant after taking a scent free shower, or avoiding smoke infested greasy-spoon diners before heading to our stands, or storing our clothes in airtight containers- scent containing clothes do, to some degree HELP MINIMIZE, albeit not totally "eliminate" our downwind scent.

Anyone who buys the stuff believing that they can "ignore the wind and just hunt" DESERVES the result they get.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
If anyone really believes that this stuff works (carbon trapping scent molecules) then please explain this to me....

Why does every single manufacturer and retailer sell the stuff with absolutely no packaging to prevent it from becoming scent saturated before it is even purchased?  I mean there is scent in the manufacturing facility, the warehouse, the semi trailer, the retailers sales floor etc.  Couple that with the fact that there is absolutely no truth to the line that you can 100%, hell 20% even, remove those scent molecules in your dryer and you have just bought into the multimillion dollar lie that the manufacturers want you to.

Stop looking for SHORT CUTS and learn how to be a better hunter or there will always be the next best gadget out there to take you in and empty your wallet.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline 36bound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
Kwazy Wascal,

You mean like compound bows, or CNC machined, $1,000-$1,300 laminated "traditional" bows, or sights, or tree stands, or pop-up blinds or food/sex attractant lures, or baiting (where legal) or GPS units or aerial maps or...

Short cuts like that? Easy there big fella.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
I like the earth scent spray.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
I THINK WE AS HUNTERS SHOULD USE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR US INDIVIDUALLY,AND NOT TELL EACH OTHER WHAT TO USE OR NOT USE.I STAY WITH WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME.YES I USE SCENT CLOTHES EARLY AND GO TO WOOL  AFTER IT COOLS DOWN.MY CLOTHES ARE 4 YRS. OLD.IALSO PLAY THE WIND TO MY ADVANTAGE.BUT SOME PLACES I HUNT YOU DONT HAVE THE OPTION TO GO IN TO HUNT INTO THE WIND.SO SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO CHANCE IT.EVEN IF IT ONLY WORKS PSYCOLOGICALLY I FEEL BETTER ABOUT GOING IN.AT LEAST I CAN HUNT.INSTEAD OF GOING HOME.I USAULLY KILL 2-3 DEER A YEAR,SO IM STAYING WITH IT. SORRY SO LONG...CHRIS

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by 36bound:
Wow- I must have all the olfactory-challenged deer behind my house. I'm absolutely convinced that the stuff works, and works well. It doesn't "eliminate" scent per se', but it certainly helps to minimize the "eminent danger" radius of your down wind scent. What I'm saying is this: On many, MANY occasions I've had deer walk past and down wind of me and react to my scent as though they were smelling danger that was 100-200 yards away instead of 15-30 yards away. FACT! And I might add, a fact that would be easy enough to demonstrate with a piece of dental floss, a video camera and a deer passing by downwind relative to the blowing dental floss.

It's almost a waste of words to say "hunt the wind". HOW ELSE would one hunt?

NOT dissimilar to washing our clothes in baking soda; or using scent free deodorant after taking a scent free shower, or avoiding smoke infested greasy-spoon diners before heading to our stands, or storing our clothes in airtight containers- scent containing clothes do, to some degree HELP MINIMIZE, albeit not totally "eliminate" our downwind scent.

Anyone who buys the stuff believing that they can "ignore the wind and just hunt" DESERVES the result they get.
I agree 100% with you.  I use it sometimes in difficult areas to hunt and small properties with limited possible entry points.  I hunt high pressured deer in areas with a lot of hunters.  They are used to avoiding hunters at distances, but can be lax if they think you are a ways off.  Always use the wind the best you can.  If you are very detailed with scent control and hunt in areas where distant human scent is not a major alarm factor to the deer in the area, you can make them think you are a safe distance away.  

I have shot several deer down wind of me while on the ground.  They have either totally ignored me or looked past me and smelled the air only to relax or keep walking while I killed them.  I had a day a couple years ago when I had my jacket open and spooked a doe down wind only to close up and shoot a buck 30 minutes later in exactly the same place with no wind change.   He was totally relaxed.  Last year I had the largest buck of the year catch me mid day 4’ off the ground climbing a tree.  He ran right past me.  Then he circled me and came in to 10 yd.  He picked up my scent and looked right past me into the distance.  He watched the area for a while then snuck off with little hast.  Without scent control he would have blown out as soon as he went past me.  

If I hunted larger properties with a lot of options and much less pressure I wouldn’t bother.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Everyone has their own opion, here is mine;

The hunting industry has alot going for them; the technology is far ahead of what it used to be; the bowyers of yesterday didn't have access to the modern materials that are present today which allows our traditonal bows to be made alot better; no difference with everything else; clothes,boots,gloves and the list goes on and on; BUT here is the problem as I see it;

The hunting industry has used and is using a BIG tool that makes all hunters believe that they MUST buy certain products to be "successful"; the tool is advertisment; the magazines, the so-called hunting shows,the so-called "celebrities" all do one thing over and over, they advertise! they hunt places that the general public will never hunt; they carry,wear,shoot,all kinds of things that in the real world of hunting is useless BUT because of big dead bucks and what they used to kill that big buck does one thing..it sells;

With all that said, if one believes that he/she will become a better hunter by using what has been advertised to the hill, then that is their own business; as for me,the "must have" camo,scent-lock clothing,bows shooting 400 fps,broadheads that open up to 3 inches,and everthing else,I'll just let them have it all;

I will take my longbow, my wool clothing{when cold} my worn out hat,my wood arrows with a good sharp,solid broadhead, and be happy with shooting does and not so big bucks and be thankful for the God given blessing of hunting...thanks for letting me rant....  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I haven't used mine in 2 years, just not worried about it. It is lighter weight, so it can be worn in warmer weather or under heavier clothes. I'll give you a good price on it, if you want.

-Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©