3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bleating?  (Read 427 times)

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
Bleating?
« on: September 23, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
You guys use the Bleat call?  I'm new and looking for all the odds in my favor I can get.  Just read about the grunt tube.  Don't have one yet, but sounds like I need one.

Anyways - the bleat can-  What's the deal?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bleating?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Deadly during the rut. I can mess with does and fawns with it before the rut kicks in though.

I use it in combination with the grunt tube during the rut. Three bleats, about a ten second pause, then 10-15 short grunts...I try to move the tube around so it deflects some. I have shot numerous bucks using that combo.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I have bleated in a lot of bucks during the rut. When you get their attention you have to stop. No bleat call, just with my voice, Blaaa like a sheep, but more high pitched.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
Plug your nose and say, "Blaaaa"  Or "Maaaaa" both are great bleat calls and the price is good.  Better yet, you never forget to bring it into the woods.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I used "The Can" bleat call and had a coyote come into it last season. Nearly got him at 15 yards! Other than that, no luck. Never even seen a deer using it, but have grunted in two young bucks.

-Charlie

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
For quite a few years I put the smack down on the bucks and does with one.  Then the cans came out and everyone has one.  The last couple years I get no response or they sneak in later to check back. Last year I may as well been saying "here deer" for all the good it did.  I would get a buck's attention, he would look, and head the other way.  The grunt was no better.  I think there are too many people using them now in the heavily hunted areas where I am.  The deer have wised up to them I think just like tree stands.  I will be using them again this year, but with much less use.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
I've used the can to call in both bucks and does. The fawn bleat will bring in does like nobody's business. Last year I had a nice eight point come in at a trot to a can call. Then my cell phone vibrated just as I was about to draw on him. It isn't loud, but he sure heard it. I didn't pick me out, but he just kind of ambled on out of the area without giving me a shot.

I messed around with a doe last year using the grunt tube. I called her in three times. The first time I saw her on a trail about 75 yards away through the timber. I couldn't tell at that point if it was a buck or doe, just a deer, so I grunted a couple of times and she made a beeline for my stand. When she was almost in range the wind switched a bit, and she winded me and trotted off 30 yards or so. She couldn't pick me out. I was in a tree and was wearing my Cabela's Wooltimate camo. The second time she came in kind of stiff legged but snorted and blew out at a run. When she stopped about 50 yards away, I gave a couple grunts, and much to my surprise she came right back in. I had her inside of 15 yards each time, but she never gave me an angle I felt comfortable with. The last time, I actually drew on her. One more step and the arrow would have been on its way. She just had to clear a sapling, but she caught my movement and the jig was up. This was a nice mature doe, not a yearling. It sure was fun, even though I never took a shot. I couldn't believe she came back the first time, much less another.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Fawn in distress bleat works on does for sure, and will sometime even bring in a buck. In my experience, the buck will show up and look around out of curiousity, but the does are looking to come save the fawn from whatever has it in it's clutches.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
I have a True Talker tube, and the fawn call does work well on does, it seems.   Not just in the rut either.
During rut, I only grunt and rattle.  I used to think rattling was a waste of time, till one day I was close enough to a fight, and could even make it out thru the brush.  The larger of the 3 bucks (that I could see) was really giving another one of them a hard time.  I thought that would have been a good time to to try and sneak in and get a shot, but I figured I'd make too much noise in the tree.

But the Sound-the sound of those antlers as two hit each other was astounding!
LOUD!  and so this all plays out, I didn't get a single shot at any of them-but that was one of those "teach me to fish, and I eat for a lifetime" moments.  You see, when I first heard it, shortly after, I had heard something going thru the brush, and not quietly or cautiously, but "all out".   After seeing all this and pondering over what had happened later that night I realized-the two had started, and what I had heard was ole #3 had come in-cause he had heard the combat.   I was about 50 yds away, but in the woods that sound carried forever, I can only imagine the concussion being generated there.  so now when I grunt, I follow that a few minutes later with HARD rattling.  Works pretty good.
Sorry to hijack,

Farmer

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
At the very start of rut last year I pulled out my can call.  I was shocked when I had 3 deer run in on me.  I never got a clear shot at any.  I had one straight behind me and 2 up front.  I wanted to call again to bring the 2 up front in more.  But I figured the guy behind me would see the movement.  I was sold on that call from then on!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©