3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow moose, Wrangell Mtns, 2009  (Read 4172 times)

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow moose, Wrangell Mtns, 2009
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine bull be waiting for the story and more pics.

Terry

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Awesome!  Can't wait to hear the details!

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Just got back home from the shop, so a quick summary for now.  

Several folks have asked about the rack size.  It was 60" or maybe 61" depending on which point you measured from.  Certainly not the biggest we saw but a nice one never the less.

The very tired fellow packing that rack is my good friend and hunting buddy Steve Kenesie.  The bull was 2 miles and 700 vertical feet below the Cub strip where he fell.  Dividing the 600# of boned-out meat into six 50# loads each we hauled meat for 12 miles, walked back for 12 miles, and added another trip for the rack and gear.  Total of 14 miles under load and 14 miles returning for load, not counting the 2 miles each day to/from camp.  We broke the haul down into three stages which fairly equally divided the days into terrain-based logical sections.  

The photo of Steve with the last load (by Alaskan law the rack MUST be the final load) was taken on the 19th.  Today on the 24th even my eyelids are still sore from all the carrying.  Call me a wimp if you wish, but it was a tough haul.

We saw 40 bulls in 8 days and stopped looking after this one went down.  Undoubtedly we would have seen more if we had continued to look.  I'd estimate that about 25 of those sightings were of unique bulls and the remainder were duplicate sightings.  We had two other close opportunities at two other bulls but neither resulted in meat.

Here's Steve with the bull where he fell:

Here's Steve with the rack and his beloved Pittsburgh Steeler ACS:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Very nice.  Thanks for the pics.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Awesome bull congrats on a great hunt!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Wow!! Too cool John!  :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Here's what the view from the ridge looked like:

This is a nice griz that was munching berries up behind our camp.  I digiscoped him from a distance of about 3/4 mile:

This is a digiscoped image of a very large bull we called "Mr. Big".  Just about 1 hour after taking this photo of him we got within 35 yards of him but he did not offer Steve anything other than a partially shielded frontal shot, so he got away.

This is a view of our camp from behind it a bit higher on the ridge:

One of the nice sunrises we enjoyed:

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
John, you show good sound judgement. Doing it the hard way, and hanging w/ a Steelers fan.   :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
Wow, what a neat neat deal. Great job! That is my dream hunt...someday.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Awesome stuff there, John! Thanks for sharing it!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Great pictures and a super story !!!

I believe that next year I'd go grouse hunting, you can eat 'em on the spot.........

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
Pat, you have probably killed more pounds of hog than Steve's moose in the past year.  You are a regular hog-killing machine.  But you're absolutely right about grouse (or ptarmigan in the case of this location) being easier to haul back to camp than a moose!

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
:campfire:      :coffee:    Congrats and thanks for sharing your story! I just love stuff like that!!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Great pics! I remember that Steelers ACS.

John, your right Pat's a hog's worse nightmare  :D
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
what a great picture! congratulations, can't wait for story...ooops, just read story

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
Now John; there is more too this story then the readers digest version.

Let's here the details.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Mike, I suppose you're talking about how we actually got within shooting distance?

We had been watching this bull for about an hour from on top of the ridge (a distance of about 1.4 miles as the crow flies) while he was running off two smaller bulls.  During this same time I captured almost 15 minutes of digiscoped video of two LARGE bulls fighting.  They were at a distance of about 2.5 miles and were really putting on a show.

Anyhow, the key to chasing a bull like this one is to have a good idea about where he will be when you bail off the top of the ridge and cover a mile and a half getting close to him.  If it looks like he's going to be moving on then you're wasting your time going after him.  He can and will cover a lot of ground in the hour or so it takes you to get close enough to call.  The bottom line is we liked our chances with this bull.  He had run off two smaller bulls, was surrounded by 4 cows, and looked like he was going to settle down where he was.  Off we went.

An hour or so later we're about 150-200 yards from where we last saw him and his cows.  Lo and behold, laying on top of the tundra at my feet, is a moose scapula from what looked like a winter kill.  I already had one but just out of serendipity I picked up this extra one and put it in my pack.  We set up at this location and I raked and grunted.  No response but I did see a cow move briefly about 200 yards away, across an open burn area.  We picked up and moved closer.

I got within about 75-90 yards of where I previously saw the cow and was busted by one of the 4 cows.  I was in complete Optifade camo from Sitka Gear including a balaclava (hope this stuff works!) and crouched down.  I raked a willow with my scapula and she immediately relaxed and started feeding.  We set up again.  I raked and grunted.  I moaned like a cow being run around by a bull she didn't like.  I used both scapulas together to sound like two bulls sort of lightly sparring.  In short, I tried every trick in my moose calling book.  Nothing.  Then Steve sees the bull and cows walking away.  We thought the jig was up but decided to walk over to where they had been (about 90 yards).  

Once we arrived there we saw the bull's palms shining.  He was laying down about 80 yards from us.  I put the binocs on him and actually watched him close his eyes.  I raked and grunted and he wouldn't even look my way.  The cows were convinced that Steve and I were just another interloper too small to come in and challenge the big guy, so they just went about feeding in a circle around the resting bull.

Finally I got tired of his lack of response and thought to myself - "desperate times call for desperate measures".  I took out both scapulas (it must have been fate that led us to the second one), leaned my bow up against a tree and then said to Steve:  "nock an arrow, get right on my a**, move when I move and stop when I stop.  We're going to walk right up to that SOB and shoot him."  We were in the middle of a completely open burn (the area burned in 2002 and is just beginning to recover with scattered willows and berry bushes) and had ZERO cover.

I held each scapula up against the sides of my head and started slowly waving my head side-to-side like a displaying bull.  Grunting with each second step I/we started walking directly toward the bull, weaving around blow-downs as necessary.  We closed the distance from 80 yards to 40 yards, walking directly between two cows who were looking at us wondering if we were a better bargain than the bull they were with.  The larger of the two we walked between was beginning to make me uncomfortable since I thought she was staring at me with "come hither" eyes.

At 40 yards the bull got up, started grunting and raking his antlers on a nearby willow.  He moved in our direction.  At 30 yards I whispered to Steve "are you ready?". He said "yes".  I stepped aside and Steve drilled the bull.  After going 75 yards or so he was stone-cold dead.

I'm sure it has been done before, perhaps lots of times.  But that's the first time I have ever impersonated a bull and walked directly up to one in order to shoot it.  And besides the arduous carry out of the meat, that was that.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Great story and great bull John....congrats.  :thumbsup:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Excellent!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
That is an awesome story and a toad of a bull!

Love the brows on that bad boy!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©