3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: g 5 Magnum. Anyone?  (Read 249 times)

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
g 5 Magnum. Anyone?
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Just tried some of the new G-5 magnum broadheads out of my Predator. They fly like darts, 1 1/2 wide, out penetrate my Snuffers and no fliers. And o so crazy sharp. Did i say sharp?sharp. Anyone using them? I no replaceble blades are frowned on but these seem like they will smoke anything and keep on going.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: g 5 Magnum. Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
max,  they are great heads and I've shot them in my wheelie bow, but unless you're getting some serious KE with your set-up I would look for a head with a ratio closer to 3:1  The G5 Mags have such an abrupt angle that it will really hinder your penetration with a traditional set-up.  I've never shot them with a stick so can't say for sure, but if it were me I wouldn't use them unless I was getting around 50 ft lbs KE, JMO.
Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
i agree with kenneth.. stay away from them. they're good heads for sure, i know a few deer that have fallen to them. with compounds..

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
You'll be fine bud,,Have fun with'em. I shoot a muzzy , Although I did a little test with a dry tanned peice of deer hyde. At first my muzzy took a lot of preasure to push through the hyde. I sharpened the Troctar tip till it was sharp and now they punch threw that hyde as well as any cut on contact head,, I have even seen glue on muzzy's    :campfire:  .

Looks pretty deadly to me,,

TGMM

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I agree STAY AWAY. I shot an elk at 15 yards and the penetration was extremely bad. Thank God I had a couple of backup eastmans in my quiver.
j yenney

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
I used them on my compound killed 3 deer with them and 1 turkey. They worked fine not as good a blood trail on the deer like my Simmons heads makes but OK. All the heads were destroyed though they were completely unusable after passing through the animals. LCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©