3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Update...Has anyone heard from Whip? ... Short Story and Pic's Added  (Read 1465 times)

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Update...Has anyone heard from Whip? ... Short Story and Pic's Added
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Beautiful buck, and some great pictures.  Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Congrats on the buck Joe!

Looking forward to the next chapter in NM.....

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
CONGRATS WHIPPER! Nice buck and love the tipi.But ya need a bigger fire.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Nice story, great pics.   I can't wait to hear about the Elk!  :whatnot:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CBergeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Nice buck!  :thumbsup:

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Great story and great buck,,JB
TGMM

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
What a deer! Congratulations!!!
Steve.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Whip,

I am glad to see you got that mule deer monkey off your back this trip.  And with style...  nice deer.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
My plan was to be in New Mexico to set up camp on the 12th, so I used the time between to visit with friends in the south west CO area.  First up were a couple of days with Shaun Webb and Jim Gilmore who were elk and bear hunting west of Durango.  Their camp was on a beautiful mountain side just across the road from the ranch of the late Louis L'Amour, the prolific western writer.

I had hunted a ranch north of Delores a number of times in the past but it had been a number of years since I had been there.  I had friends that were hunting it this year, so as long as I was close I made it a point to stop for an over night visit.  It sure was good to be back and relive some of my fondest memories in a classic elk hunting camp setting.

Mesa Verde National Park is between Durango and Delores, and although I had been in that area a number of times before, I had never taken the time for a visit.  This was a perfect opportunity for me to finally see one of the best restored examples of ancient South American native cultures.  What a treasure of history!!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Now that is cool!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
My week of "vacation" from hunting past quickly, and soon it was time to head to New Mexico.  My hunting partner for this trip was Ohne Raasch, a long time friend from my hometown.  I headed up the mountains a couple of days early to establish our camp and secure a good site for our hunt.

The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad winds through the Carson National Forest between Antonito Colorado and Chama New Mexico.  Its route pass just across the canyon from our camp, and we could hear its whistle daily as it made its way up the mountains.  I took a ride one day and found a large group of people with cameras and video gear waiting for the train.  Apparently the engine being used this day had some special historical significance and attracted quite a crowd to witness its journey.  It definately harkens back to a different time in our countries history.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I do enjoy your stories, Joe.
Conny

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Our tags weren't valid until the 16th, and we used the days prior for scouting and laying plans.  It seemed that everywhere we went we found elk, and they were bugling early and late in the day.  Things were looking good for the opener, and anticipation was high!

When we actually started hunting we continued to see elk, but we were also running into lots of hunting pressure.  It seemed there were hunters everywhere we went, and we wondered how long it would take for the elk to be pressured out of the area.  But we continued to see elk nearly every time out, and remained optimistic.

The best form of practice for me is stumpshooting, but around home my "stumps" consist of fallen leaves and tufts of grass.  One thing I love about hunting in the mountains are the abundant targets nature provides.

On the evening of the third day I decided to hunt a small ridge to the north of our camp.  I parked the truck and made my way up the ridge, easing along an old abandoned roadway.  Glancing to my left I could hardly believe my eyes - not 30 yards away were two cow elk, and they were so busy with devouring the bushes they never noticed me.  I sunk to my knees and waited.  

Eventually the largest cow grazed her way to within 20 yards perfectly broadside, but some low bushes covered the bottom half of her body and I passed on the shot.  She fed past a spruce tree between us and when she cleared the other side was quartering away at a hard angle 25 yards away.  It was starting to look like this might all fall apart.  But a slight turn presented a better angle, and my arrow was on the way.  It struck directly behind the front leg, but low, and with minimal penetration, and fell out immediately.  As she crashed off I wondered whether I had just hit the leg itself.  

The noise from her flight stopped, followed by two loud crashes.  Had she fallen, or simply resumed running after a brief pause?

I could see the arrow sticking up out fo the brush, and eased ahead to check it for blood.  The front 6" were covered, and looking in the direction of her flight I could immediately see an ample blood trail.  It was quickly apparent that the hit had been good in spite of the minimal penetration, and I followed the best blood trail I had ever seen in my life.  I didn't think the standard 30 minute wait would be necessary....

Warning!  The following photos are graphic!!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Dontcha just hate when you can smell your way down the blood trail? LOL! Sweet trip so far. Nice velvet buck and now a cow elk for the real eatin'. Geeze, I wanna be retired! Great job Joe! Well deserved for a fine fella.!  :thumbsup:

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
It just has to be all those   HATS causing all this success....Don't ya think   :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Littlefeather:
Dontcha just hate when you can smell your way down the blood trail? LOL!  
You've got that exactly right CK - this was literally a blood trail that blind person could have followed just by the odor alone!

It's kind of strange the way blood loss from a hit can vary so much from one animal to another. On the mule deer, the arrow passed completely through the deer exiting the opposite shoulder.  Very minimal exterior blood loss.  On the elk, I got no more than six inches of penetration when the broadhead hit the opposite leg bone and fell out.  But more blood than your average horror flick.  Both hits were good, but with vastly different results.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Way to go Joe. That was a great hunt.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement