3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I am confused  (Read 537 times)

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I am confused
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Well said Jason.

There are people that want to know "why" and people that don't. One of those groups is wrong?    Really?

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
I'm with Jason on this...I think George should try lowering or raising his braceheight to do a little fine tuning.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
jacobsladder, my brace height is fine son...thank you though 8^).

Jason, I've read Horace Ford, have you?  Have you read Klopsteg?
Thomas Forbes?  Walter Perry?   And lastly, go back and read my post...particularly the very last line.  The whole post was tongue-in-cheek, and I'm sorry you couldn't see that.  Perhaps that's another aspect of us old archers that's not much understood....we have a sense of humor and don't take life so seriously.  

I don't really care about such drivel, but I think it's good for folks to know such things.  Things, by the way, which were discussed by my generation back forty years ago or more.  So please excuse my levity if it offends you in any manner.  It's a cross I must bear.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
anytime George....  :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Oh....just one more thing, if an inch of brace height, either way, sends your arrow tuning into oblivion, you are dancing on the line of dimishing returns with the spine of that arrow.
A well tuned arrow should tolerate a lot of dynamics from the bow without being unduly affected.
I agree with George here. I am shooting exactly the same arrow setup from both my 46# Kanati and my 53# Kota, so I don't see how an inch of brace height is going to make that much difference. BTW - I get great arrow flight from both.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
I would be willing to bet that Mr. Stout has forgotten more about archery than some of us know and I Kinda like to see just what he's gonna say next. Seems like a guy I could hang out with and gain some wisdom. I know he always make me laugh...

:biglaugh:
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
For folks who need to make a set of arrows they have work and can't afford or are to frugal to buy a new dozen, understanding how the mechanics work can make a marginal arrow flight(read wounded as opposed to dead game)into acceptable arrow flight. One needs never apologize for questing for knowledge and understanding in this pursuit of our's.

George one can only read the typed word, inflection is easily lost on the WWW.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
George, I've read Horace Ford (loved it), haven't most of the others you mentioned, but will at some point.  I only have so much time chasing 3 kids around.

If most of your posts are intended as tongue-in-cheek, fair enough.  I'll remember that from now on.  I've just been picking up on many of your posts (and a fair number of others) a fairly negative attitude on those interested in analyzing things.  It's very hard to pick up on tone in emails and on the web.  I usually pick up the phone after a couple of electronic exchanges to figure out what's going on, unfortunately we don't have the luxury of that here.  I rarely get offended so no worries.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
George, one of my bosses in a past life was fond of the phrase, "Reinventing the wheel". It's taken me a few years to get to the point where he was at the time, but now I understand more fully. I think you do, too. Don't worry, these young whippersnappers will get there, eventually. They might even develop a little more tolerance and sense of humor along the way.

The "old" literature reveals much... and I don't mean the TradGang archives.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hogdgz:
I always thought that raising the brace height (ie- from 8 - 8 3/4) would stiffen the spine b/c it caused shorter length of travel for the string, and that lowering the brace height would increase arrow speed and therefore weaken the spine.

Am I correct on all this?
Thanks
Above is the original post. All we're doing is answering his question and trying to explain our answers so this man can get a better understanding of how things work. And, to defend our answers as there are differences in what some of us believe to be true. So all we're really trying to do is to separate fact from fiction. One way is correct and the other is not, period. It's not a matter of opinion but a matter of finding out the only correct answer so that someone can save time through trial and error. Isn't that what we're here for? To help our brother find the best way to gain knowledge so he can enjoy this wonderful journey we call traditional archery? So, this is why we explain what we believe to be true, so people can gain a better understanding of the science of a simple, yet sometimes complex, machine we call a stick and a string.

By the way, jacobsladder's second post contains the correct answer and explanation.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
The knowledge and understanding of "properly" tuning archery equipment is helpful to most people. If you understand how something works, it makes it easier to diagnose problems and find solutions. Through minor adjustments such as brace height and point weight, I have been able to use arrows when a lot of people would be buying more AND they fly great...Great question Chase, good luck with your shooting...
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
the world according to george is a very scary place.  we live in an information packed time.  the thirst for knowledge and greater understanding of our simple passion is important!  i hope we all continue to ask why in an effort to better our shooting.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Wow! So many words in response to a simple question!

Jacobsladder answered it with both a short and long version. Take your pick.

I'm now realising that my tuning process has been a bit out of order, and I shouldn't be messing with the BH at all after finding the point where my bows shoot the quietest. After going through this batch of arrows that are now a tad too short due to my lack trad gear tuning knowledgge, I will start tuning the arrow to the bow. In the mean time, I need to adj. the BH to get the arrows I have flying correctly without changing the point weight.
Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©