3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spine Problem  (Read 168 times)

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
Spine Problem
« on: September 25, 2009, 02:33:00 AM »
I am having a bit of a problem with a Custom Longbow I just got here in Australia .
  It is about 65# at my draw ,, I tried some arrows that fly great out of my 55# Recurve (bear Grizzly )  and they shot way left .  Now wouldnt that indicate that they are too stiff ?  Which is strange  as they shoot fine from my 'curve .. I know the 'curve is center shot and the longbow isnt .
 Some of the advice I got on another forum ,, was to shoot an arrow that is spined 10# HEAVIER than the bow    :confused:    To me , that is wrong , or is it ?
  In a last ditch attempt to hit the spot .. I grabbed some 55# spined woods and they hit the spot , although it was with a nock left hit ,, so they may be a bit too soft . And they are a bit too light for the bow .
  So ANY input would be appreciated fellas .

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spine Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
Coachy, sounds like they're too stiff to me. Heavier points might straighten them out. Depending on how each of the bows is set up, the longbow just might need a weaker shaft.

Nothing like bare-shafting to get the nocking point and spine right.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Cheers ,, I'll keep plugging away at it , I wont be beaten  :D

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
centre shot can make a huge difference in spine. i think that is what you found out. you confirmed they are to stiff when you shot a lighter spine and they flew better.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
It also depends on your draw length and the length of the arrow. I know I was trying a tomahawk longbow at 3rivers one year(great bow, I almost bought it)and I had a whole bunch of different spined arrows to shoot. My draw is 28 inches on a regular longbow. The arrows were about 29" long. The ones that shot the best for me were spined 5 pounds lower than the weight of the bow. Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©