3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Outa foam..?  (Read 548 times)

Offline RaybowTx

• Trad Bowhunter
Outa foam..?
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Not gonna pay 70-90 jack for a target for my broadhead tunning.  So does anyone have a cheaper alternative?  Would like to know as I have wanted to spend more time shooting broad heads through out the year and not just before season.  Thanx...........Ray...........
na

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Outa foam..?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
I bought one at wally world for 37.00
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:43:00 AM »
Depends on the broadhead, a two blade with a taper on the back of the head will pull out of hay bales fairly easy. Like zwickey or mangus, a three blade or two with the back of the blade square is hard to pull out.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
Sandpile or sandy river bank.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
I go to my local hospital and get the foam that comes in some of the boxes they receive the stuff is normally thrown out. I just got the white tight foam 24'x24' about 10 pieces and I used 5 at a time and duct tape then together like a block.Works great use it inside as well.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
A garbage can, a garbage bag and a couple of cans of expanding foam insulation.  Open the bag into the can, spray in the foam and let sit overnight to cure.  Pull out the bag and shoot.  Throw it back into the can when no longer usable or fill the voids back up with more foam insulation.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I built a nice foam pig last week to tune broadheads I'm taking on a pig hunt.    Cost me less than $40.   Here's some photos of how I did it:

http://oldpharttsarchery.com/shooting-adventures/bigbadwolf/makingherman/makingherman.html
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
Nice target Dick. How does she hold up?

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Christopher,  How large was the garbage can? how many cans of foam did you use?   Jim

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
Drew Foam targets at Walley World for $17.00...bought two for the whole season...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
I have a box full of shrink wrap a buddy saved from a warehouse.  Not sure how it will hold up to broad heads.  I balled up a bunch of small balls of shrink wrap and filled the box, taped it shut and was good to go. My field points pull out with 2 fingers. Since the balls move perhaps it will catch broad heads without being difficult to remove.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
www.dinksfeathershop.com     :thumbsup:  
 Great Broadhed targets
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
I think the shrink wrap will play heck with your broadheads bud.  I bought a turkey decoy and filled it with that great stuff and it took like 3 cans to fill that thing so I would think it would take a lot of great stuff to fill a trash bag.  I would just spring for a good target bud  It should last a long time.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
Mystic Guido....

Re the target, it seems to be holding up pretty good, getting cut up, of course, but how long it will last is going to depend on how well you shoot.   If you spread the hits out a lot, the cutting up will be everywhere.  If you hit primarily in the kill zone area, most of the cutting up will be there and easy to refill with Great Stuff foam.   Since I'm deliberately shooting from within 15 yards (as advised by the hunt organizer), I'm keeping the shots fairly well together.  It hasn't got a deep enough hole in it to shoot with foam yet, and I'm just kind of guessing, but I'd say if I repaired it a couple of times a year it'd last a long time.

Obviously, another factor would be the proportion of field point vs. broadhead use you give it.   It's going to have a rough go for awhile with me, as i have another pig hunt coming up in Jan.   After that, it will likely get almost all field point us and last a really long time between fixes.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Herman Rules!   :saywhat:
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Get the foam blocks from Lowes or Tractor Supply that they use the between the trailers in shipping.  They work great and you can get them for free.  I have a stack of them in my garage and use them for broadheads.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
I use a straw bale.  Just pull the fletch through.  Works well with 4" feathers but I still keep dedicated practice arrows for this.  With my 50-55# bows and 3 blade heads they usually stop before the fletch so I have un-screwed the head and pulled out to avoid running the fletching through the bales.  Results will very based on how tight the bales are, how fast the bow is, and how big the head is.  A lot better than leaving chunks of expensive foam all over the yard.

We use sand pits at our archery club and they work great.  Sink a couple posts and string two pieces of wire between them.  You can hang a cardboard siloutte between the wires.  Just keep a small brush to clean off the arrow.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Dirt banks and big ant hills 8^).

I also use the cut end of a hay bale.  It only takes a few shots since mine shoot where my other arrows shoot.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
cheapo yellow bag from wally word, 25.00 and no effort.  have shot the hell out of it with broadheds and keep it in the back of my truck for warmups at lunch. its "bleeding" scraps of heavy felt(the stuffing) all over now but still stops a broadhead. may have to stitch some blue tarp sctaps over the face to save it for the rest of the season.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
JMATT1957l,
A normal 50 gallon plastic can and two cans of foam is enough.  It isn't necessary to fill the can but cover the bottom heavy.  The plastic bag will let you remove it from the can.  But it may take a couple of days for the foam at the bottom to solidify.  
Anymore, though, I just use an old large round hay bale for the broadheads.  Once a bale gets too old the livestock won't eat it, anyway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©