3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Never been much for treestands but...  (Read 290 times)

Offline NORCO55

• Trad Bowhunter
Never been much for treestands but...
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
I've always been on the ground. But this year elk hunting I could see the need for just seating and waiting for the elk to come to me. NW area is really brushy. So which is a better wa to go? Climber, Fixed, or saddle type? Thanks for the help.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Never been much for treestands but...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
You'll get lots of opinions on that question, but being a whitetail hunter, 99% of my hunting is out of trees.  Climbers have their place, but all in all, fixed stands have the edge.  My favorite is one that Lone Wolf makes.  VERY light, and comfortable.  I do not have any experience with the saddle or sling type stands, but I know that many people swear by them.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
I like fixed stands with LW climbing sticks, great combo for tree hunting. Knees and climbers aren't getting along well these days. Watch out for climbers on wet or frosty days also. JMHO.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I think it is great that you are thinking outside the box a little.

I have friends that pass up some killer elk ambush spots because they can't stand to sit still for a couple hours.

Climbers are a little bulky for my taste and require a tree with no limbs,at least up as high as you want your stand.

The saddle stands are good but usually require screw in steps to get in the tree.These take some effort and a little commotion to get in and some places,it would be a no-no to use the screw ins.

I don't own one yet but if it were me,I would take a hard look at the Lone Wolf Assault and a set of their climbing sticks.I hear nothing but good stuff about them.Climbing sticks are easy and quiet to put up and take down and easy to use.

Don't forget a good safety harness and a rope or cord to pull your bow up after you are settled in and harnessed up.You may want some kind of hook to hang your pack and bow on.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I'd echo what these guys say.  We've taken quite a few elk using tree stands here in MT, and they are very effective....in fact our success rates with them far exceed more "traditional" styles of hunting elk.  

Climbers for us here in MT are'nt really good choices, and we prefer hang-on type, like the Screaming Eagle style.   I've used a sling style for many years also, and they can work well, especially in trees that may not work for other type stands.  They also are great if you have to pack in a ways.   But they have their limits too....one being that you will not last as long on stand in one, compared to a more fixed stand.  Too much weight on your knees against the tree, and on the steps you need to stand on.  Having said that, they will work well for a couple hours.  Good luck.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Another high quality stand/climbing ladder is made by Family Traditions Treestands, made in Michigan.
It's not cheap, but the highest quality never is.
 http://www.familytraditiontreestands.com/LockOn.html

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
If you are hunting elk in Washington, I would advise a climber.

I hunted out of them this past elk and deer seasons.  They give you the ability to pack in and hunt easily, but you can also relocate easily.  A hang-on with sticks is just harder to manage in my opinion.

With a climber I can find a hotspot with fresh sign and be hunting (up the tree) in less than 15 minutes.

Brett

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Cary one of those foldable saws like a "Gerber". Cheap and cuts those small limbs out of the way in a hurry so you can get the climber to the right height.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©