3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't laught too hard ;)  (Read 487 times)

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't laught too hard ;)
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
Well the little 2 - 3 acre chunk of woods I hunt is right in the middle of about 100 acres of corn and it's loaded with coons.  So I got a few kids coonskin caps to safety pin to my camo once the leaves drop thinking that the deer wouldn't be as skittish if they caught movement and saw the coons.  Well the synthetic material seems to almost glow to me now that I've got a chance to mess with it so I'm gonna try to track down some real coon furs.  Am I crazy or do you think this just may help me get away with a little noise or movement?

thanks and don't laugh too hard,
Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't laught too hard ;)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Watch out for hawks! I considered attaching a squirrel tail to my hat for the same purpose - then thought better of it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Funny, Yes. Never know what might work.  

Once I hung dirty socks on a fence to funnel deer to me.  They passed up every fence crossing and passed within 10 yards of me.  Too bad I was greedy and only hunting big bucks.  Still to this day have to kill one with a bow.

I've realized to crawl before I walk.  This is my year!

Good luck with the coons   ;)  

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
LOL!!  I don't feel too bad now Charlie!  ;)   I've hung socks around my garden but never thought about using them for hunting like you described.

Shaun,  not too many hawks where I hunt but I'll definitely keep an eye out for em' OUCH!!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Indians, some mountainmen, & buffalo hunters wore animal skins to hunt. Don't get shot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
i dont think its a good idea...why draw unneeded attention to yourself...be still, play the wind, and shoot straight.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
jacob, I'm not trying to draw attention but when the leaves are off where I hunt you pretty much have to be invisible to draw without being seen.  Figured looking like a family of coons would buy me enough time to reach anchor and release.

straitera,  I'm usually the only one there so shouldn't be a problem, but I'll leave them in the truck if I see anyone else parked there.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I read an article a while back about a guy that attached crow decoys to branches near his stand. He stated that the deer would see the outline of the crows and not spook if it caught any movement.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Seem to work for Dannle Boone

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Yaa i think adding the coon skin cap would be a nice touch.Through in a little coon purring if they get suspicious and some coon scent would be good.Might as well throw in the Crow decoys amd maybe a great horned owl as a finishing touch.Might as well go all out.That would be crazy but hey it might work.

Before you know it they may be selling these desception kits at bass pro or cabelas for hundreds of dollers.They could call it puppet show up a tree

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
If you can use a printed silhouette blind (such as a cow, antelope, or bison) to stalk up to a bison or antelope, I don't see how you could cause yourself any problems using coon skins to try and hide or disguise movement in barren trees. I've spotted hunters in barren trees a half mile off with no problems because of movement. If I had no problem picking up the movement I'm sure a deer would catch it quicker than me. Sounds like a workable plan to me. Give it a shot and keep us posted.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Built a monkey nest around your treestand,, or hunt from the ground.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline woodsman 365

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I don't think your crazy but the racoon with the bow.... please post how it worked out. RAY

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
I already use coon urine as a cover scent and it works well.  This is a little 3 acre parcel of woods and there are probably 20+ coons living there and I pretty much have to fight them out of my stand every morning as it is so I figured it would put the deer at ease because they're so used to seeing them.  As soon as I get some skins and the leaves drop, I'll let you know how it works.  I may even try to see how much movement I can get away with (after my freezer is full though  ;)  )

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Sounds like a coon hunt is in order.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Pretty funny, but on a serious note I had a Redtail Hawk take my bow right out of my hands. I was using Beaver Balls for silencers and I guess he thought they were easy prey. The bow fell about fifteen feet into a Multifloral Rose bush, unscathed. I screamed like a little girl when it happened. Didn't hear or see it coming. So be aware that you may not know what may be hungry. Big Ed---------->
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
Hope a coon doesn't come out above you and think your a rival.
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
Hey, it's worked for Ron LaClair (fur hat) so why wouldn't it work for you?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
If nothing else you have a good supply for those the skins you want.
Keep us posted, small wood lots are a tough hunt.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
I've got another idea for you. I actually stole it from John Harvard sort of. Get yourself a buddy, a Holstein outfit and walk right up to the deer and shoot 'em.   :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©