3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ANOTHER Elk Story w/Pics  (Read 1446 times)

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
ANOTHER Elk Story w/Pics
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Hi all.  I told myself I was going to take more pictures this year on my elk hunt so here are a few with some narration to go with them.  This was a DIY in an OTC unit in Colorado.

Steve (Colotrad) and myself took off the last week of season to go on a Sat - Fri elk hunt up at my cabin.  Here is a pic of the cabin that me and my Dad built one summer that provides endless enjoyment and access to Nat'l Forest that is a little tough to get too from the public side.

We got in Saturday afternoon in time for an evening hunt.  We headed out on a trail on a dark north slope tha leads to some nice parks/meadows in the south side of the basin.

Steve at one of the parks.

We set up on a park at the far end of the basin and cow called a bit.  We heard some noise above us almost immediately and this is what eventually came in.

The next morning we headed to the north side of the basin.  We started hearing bugling as we started our climb.  There were two bulls bugling good and maybe a third further off.  Very encouraging.  We started moving in on the two bulls and as it started getting light we could see some cows high above us on the ridge across the small drainage from us.  We could hear the bulls fighting and decided to move in and try cow calling one of them in.  We had to cross a clearing in the bottom of the drainage to do so but we made it across without being seen.  Steve set up to call and I moved in another 70 yds or so.  It sounded like the herd was moving up over the ridge so Steve started calling to try and bring them back.  Nothing, the bugles became more distant.  Steve moved up to me and we decided to keep after them and had just started climbing when we heard a bugle right above us.  We stopped in the wide open and here came some antlers.  A nice 5x5 cruised by us at about 50 yds and he wasn't stopping for anything (he must have been the loser in the fight).  We then kept after the herd and got within about 60 yds of some cows but they were on the move to their bedding area.  We remained in the area they bedded hoping the bull would start talking again in the evening.  The weather turned wet, light rain/sleet/snow and we took cover under some big trees waiting it out (Steve below).  Heard one distant bugle that evening.

The next day was even wetter and it snowed hard in the morning, a wet snow that didn't stick around long.

Steve and I split up in the north side of the basin.  I spotted a bear and had a tag.  He was feeding on choke cherries and I decided to stalk in.  I got to within 25 yds and decided that seemed plenty close to get to 300lbs of teeth, claws, and muscle.  I have never stalked bears before and I was a little nervous.  He finally came into a clearing but was facing me, no shot.  He never saw me but sensed something because he just turned and walked away.  No elk encounters at all on this Monday.

Tuesday we split up and went into the east end of the basin and about 8:30 I heard a bugle up high.  We met up and decided to go up after them.  We climbed.

We got to a high bench and found fresh tracks in the snow from a herd.  We followed until we figured we were close and decided to wait it out and hopefully hear the bull in the afternoon.  We tried to nap on the snowy wet ground in the wet snow and actually managed to dose off a few times.  The bull did bugle again mid afternoon so we decided to try and get on both sides of the herd and slowly move through the timber towards them.  This is a steep nasty downfall ridden slope that you can't even get through in places.  We knew chances were slim but we gave it a shot.  Steve came across their bedding area and followed tracks for a while but you can't keep up with elk on these slopes.  I busted two small bulls as I fought my way out into a clearing.  We did have a nice sunset.

Continued in next post.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ANOTHER Elk Story w/Pics
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Wednesday, we didn't see a thing but more wet cold weather that cleared for another nice sunset.

Thursday morning, our last day to hunt ( I had to be home on Friday), we heard nothing.  We did see a spike.  We stopped for lunch on a log.

We wandered a bit more, the sun came out and we found a nice place for a nap.  After hunting hard all week it felt great to get a good nap.  We were tired and after waking we were trying to figure out what to do for our last evening of hunting when we heard a bugle in the valley west of us.  Decision made.  We split up and Steve went high and I went low.  The bull continued to bugle every 10-15 minutes and I was getting close.  I finally spotted a small bull and figured he was a loner out looking for cows.  I lost track of him and then heard a bugle up higher again.  I continued to move in until I was on a small bench right off the bottom of the drainage.  I knelt down in a good shooting location.  I spotted cows and calves and thought there was no way that little bull had cows.  About then a cow starts coming my way and I would have no problem shooting a cow.  She comes by at 8 yds but never looks away and is too close for me to move/draw without beeing seen.  She goes down below me.  The wind is perfect.  The rest of the herd slowly starts to follow and I finally see the herd bull.  He is not huge but a decent bull for an OTC unit.  They keep coming and before I know it the bull is broadside at 25 yds, of course the only branch around is going right across his vitals.  They continue to move and I'm thinking they are going to get by me without me getting a shot.  Then the bull turns back up to circle around the last couple of cows.  When he turns back down he stops broadside at about 28 yds.  I hardly even remember drawing my bow.  What I do remember was seeing the flight of the arrow and watching it disappear about 2 inches behind the shoulder crease.  They all busted out of there.  Now I start shaking (I am lucky in that I usually don't start the shaking until after the shot).  The questions start, did I really see what I thought I saw.  I go look for my arrow and it looks good.

I call Steve on the radio and tell him the good news.  It takes him a bit to get down to me which was good because it made me wait.  We start to follow the blood trail which is not a gusher.  I hit him about mid body up and down so I knew most blood was staying inside him.  We went about 70 yds when I spotted him.  Woo Hoo!  Finally a traditiional bull.

I was a happy camper.  I don't know why but after I saw the bull the thought of shooting a cow just vanished.  Since it was getting late we just gutted the bull, got it about 2/3 skinned, opened it up to cool and cut the head off.  I carried the head and antlers out that night.

The next morning we deboned a little better than half of the bull and carried that meat out and then came back and carried the last two quarters out bone in.  It was about 1.5 miles down to a road so we got him out in two heavy trips each.

I shot him with my new TD Super Shrew 56# @ 28" (53# at my draw), carbon arrows, brass inserts, woodsmen head, total arrow weight of 525 gr. and got a clean pass through.

When I look back I am always amazed at how many things have to go right to get off a shot at close range.  We hunted hard all week and we hunted until the end and it payed off.

Steve may have some more pics to add.

Hope you enjoyed it.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
beutiful. congratulations   :thumbsup:

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Fantastic.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Thrilling story. Good hunt & bull. Thanks much.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
That is nice! Congratulations.Great story,great pictures,great bull and great bow.Thanks for sharing that.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Very nice! Great elk and story.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
A Big CONGRATS Mark!! Thanks for taking us along...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Great pics and story...congrats!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
EXCELLENT hunt and shot Kadbow!

Thank you for takin' us along on your FULL week hunt.

Great bull and great photos.

Enjoy the feast!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Great job i cant wait to do that some day.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline redeemed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
thanks man.......maybe someday, I would love to hunt elk and bighorn sheep, that is my ultimate dream, your time and work to show us these things keep those dreams alive....... again thank you so much!!!!!!!
JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW!!!!

To God be the glory, great things He has done!!!!!

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
very nice congrats
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
GREAT story and a GREAT job;
  :clapper:      :clapper:
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
"He is not huge but a decent bull"

He would be a huge bull in my book! Congrats!

Sounds like an awesome hunt!

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
WOW! Thanks for the great pics! Congrats.
GLENN

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
WOW!  Congratulations on sticking with it to the end and taking a beautiful animal!
Nice job!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Colotrad

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
It was a great hunt!  We worked hard for this elk.  I'm tired and sore, but I'm butchering half of the bull that Mark (Kadbow) so graciously gave me.  It's getting warm here in Grand Junction, so I need to get that meat in the freezer.  I'll post some more pics this evening.  CONGRATS MARK, on blooding that new Shrew and putting that first elk taken with a longbow in your hunting journal.
TGMM Family of the Bow
60" Griffin T/D
56" Shrew C/H T/D
58" Shrew C/H T/D
62” Javaman Assyrian T/D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©