3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbon arrow suggestions for bear montana  (Read 337 times)

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
carbon arrow suggestions for bear montana
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
I have my woodies figured out now and want to play with some carbons. I dont really know where to start. I figured you folks could help. I'm going to use them out of my Bear Montana. The bow is 50# @28". I draw 30.5", so I think the weight is around 57-58. What would you say for me to use? Spine,inserts, tips..Etc...I would like to have some weight up front...Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbon arrow suggestions for bear montana
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
I like the AD Hammerheads.  Leave 'em full length, and use a 125-200grn. broadhead. Try it, you'll like it.  :thumbsup:

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
When I was shooting a Montana, I had really good luck with Blackhawk Vapor 3000. Available from Big Jim for a very reasonable price in blems. I was using 125 grain heads at full length out of a 45# at 27" draw. If your just toying with carbons, Ide give them as try as they will not break the bank for experimenting.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
I used Beman MFX Classic 500 cut to 28" with a 125 gr broadhead.  Fast and darts!  That said they are lighter... 430 grs or so... if you want more weight in the arrow, get the 400's add a brass insert and experiment until you get it to work for you!  You could also go with Easton Epic Infused.  Great arrow and cheaper... probably more durable than the Beman as well.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
My bear Montana is 50#, I draw 29+. I can shoot Carbon Express-65-70- full length- 4" feathers with standard inserts and 200 grs up front. They fly like darts.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
The AD is out of my price range for now. I'm just playing and the wife was looking when I pulled them up and I heard the soft "wow" behind me   :rolleyes: ... I might have a CX here to try...Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
If you're on a budget, you might want to try out some Goldtip Expeditions. I got some 3555's and we've shot them from a 45# Blackhawk Scorpion, a 50# York recurve, a #55 Bamboo-Ipe R/D longbow, #55 Kota Badlands, and a #67 Bear Polar. from every bow they've flown, well, as straight as an arrow  ;) . Seriously though, they have flown great from every bow tried. We had a pretty good discussion with the tradbow expert at the archery shop, and he said the biggest mistake people make with the carbons is getting them with too stiff a spine weight. I can vouch for that as I've tried some bemans and some cheapie brand ones that were spined stiffer, and couldn't get them to fly worth a darn.  Just my 2 cents worth.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
I ended up with Xweave 200's. They are spined @.424 and fly great.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
CX Terminator Lite Hunter 6075.  Not sure how far from centre that bow is cut, but i shoot these cut to centre, 8 strand d97 flemish, recurve at 30.5" draw, drawing 46#, shafts cut to 30.75, 3x3" a&a fletch, 100gr insert and 200gr tips and they fly lovely and hit well'ard.  

Depending on your string and how far from centre i can't see why 6075's wouldn't work, you would just need to adjust the up front weight or length a bit.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©