3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What kind of safety harness?  (Read 635 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
What kind of safety harness?
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I got another thread going about a safety line and now I want to re-vamp my harness too.
So, what are you all using and why? lets include name of harness and place of purchase. This is info we all can and should use. Thank you.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What kind of safety harness?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
I like Seat of the Pants, but any of the "good" harness will work.  They are a bit more $$s, but what is your life worth?!
SOP always helps out with my IBEP Instructors, so that is why I stick with them.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »
This is worth looking into. There is a video that starts loading when the webpage comes up for you fellers on dail-up.

http://www.mountaineer-sports.com/index.php

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
The Rescue One CDS is the absolute best on the market for those who do not possess the strength or skill necessary to get back into an elevated stand.  It is expensive but well worth every penny.  We live in an age where we do things we know are dangerous and still do them regardless.  If we fail and fall it is not our fault.  It is the treestand manufacturers' fault.  We now have harnesses that save us from falling but then kills us in minutes?  I only use the Ambush Tree Saddle and Guido's Web for either a treestand or harness.  I use the Tree Saddle for most of my hunting when I can.  One Tree Saddle is 2 lbs on my back.  One set of Lone Wolf sticks only 5 lbs.  I put a T Bar on top of my stick to double as a stand.  I get about 16 ft up.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I am looking for a safety system to use with my hang on stands. I thought that the tree saddle and the likes are for "hanging" from the tree. with-out the use of a stand/platform. who sells the seat-o-pants?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Summit sales them...i use the fastback deluxe.  www.summitstands.com
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
I use the Hunters Safety System Pro Series Harness. It's lightweight and easy to use. It's just a mesh vest and everything is stored in it. The leg straps, tether and chest straps all has it's place in the vest. It also has an assist strap to put your foot into if you fall from the tree and are hanging in the harness. It's a really nice harness and I don't leave the house without it. I got mine at Gander Mountain, if I recall correctly it was around $119 bucks or so.........IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
sop harness and the fallguy retractable teather. Great system for tree stands you leave up.
greg ketchum

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Chuck, I use a SOP Fastback that I bought at Cabelas.  SOP is a Summit product, so lots of places sell them.  

Pat Lefemine did a harness test over on Bowsite.  It is really worth looking at if you are going to get another harness.  If you get the HSS, make sure you get the Pro model.  The earlier HSS had the leg straps going down thru your groin instead of around the legs.  Visualize your boys being caught between the straps and a 200 lb rock.    :scared:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I went from a rope tied around my waist to a homemade seat belt arrangement until they finally came out with a safety harness.
I wore the Summit harness for a few years and switched to the HSS. It is a good vest but heavy in the Georgia heat.
I am wearing the Muddy harness now. I see it didn't do well in pat's testing.
One thing I notice in all the tests and the TV ads is that the poor guy that falls is hanging three feet below the stand! how the heck did he get there?
I adjust my tether so I can't even reach the end of my stand to fall off. I have it so snug I can't even bend over to lower my bow without loosening the tether. The stand would have to fall from under me, which could happen, but not too likely.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
I have found the SOP the most comfortable for me to wear although all are restricting and none are comfortable for me...but I wear one every time I climb a tree.
  Try as many as you can before you buy one. Get the one that is most comfortable for you with your style of hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
If you go with HSS check and see where it is made. They have a model made in the U.S.A. Why can't they make their full line-up in the U.S.A.?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Hunter Safty System "tree stalker" system.  I am very pleased with it.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Hunters safety system is lightweight and its the only one i have ever used. No need to mess with a good thing.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Trophyline Body Armour

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Wore a Screaming Eagle harness for many years and switch to Hunter Safety vest for ease of putting on and for between the shoulders fall strap attachment. The SE harness only has side hook up. HS vest also has tear away stitching on the strap to cushions the stop if you fall. For hang on stands I also like a safety rope with Prussic knot for full fall protection from the ground till back on the ground.

Offline buks2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
HSS Pro, just got it. Had it out in the yard the other day running through possible scenarios. The system is well thought out,and "comfortable" while suspended. I encourage anyone that has this system or is getting this system to take it out and work with it before the first use. The tension relief strap is s great addition to a well thought out system.
Big bucks look good on the wall, but I still haven't found a way to tenderize those bones!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Thats some good feed back, Thanks to all. I have used a belt for many years and I decided it is time to quit pushing the maybe and get a harness. A freinds wife fell about 12" and broke both heels a few years back and so I am likeing the idea of a "life line" type system as well. I hope all are safe and enjoy the hunting season. It is a GREAT time of year. Thanks again.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
I bought a Sneaky-Sak years ago for use as a possible stand alternative.  I know they (and the Tree Saddle) work for some, but I see no real advantages over a lightweight tree stand so I don't use it for that.  However, I have been using the Sneaky Sak as my safety system and I'm pleased with it although I'm sure it's not as good as the ones you all have mentiond.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I use the Summit SOP in early season and the HSS Pro Series when it cools off.  After a few years of wearing the HSS in GA's early season I realized that I needed something lighter for early season.  Both are real comfortable and I would recommend both of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©