3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: one special hunt (bens elk hunt)  (Read 1183 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
one special hunt (bens elk hunt)
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »
saturday the 19th started with the drive from vancouver to albany oregon to meet up with wannabe1 (tw)from albany we headed east to burns to meet up with ben from ohio and his father.after handshakes and greetings we transferred bens gear to tw's bronco and headed to the store for some grub.the air was filled with anticipation and high hopes.we drove up the mountain to meet our destiny and fullfill the neverending need for the hunt that drives us.
   we arrived at our destination and quickly set up camp.what follows is a first time elk hunters dream come true.while sitting in camp chatting i heard a bull bugle from the ridge across the road from camp,we hurridly gathered our gear and quietly entered the mahogony thicket.we crept forward while i called to the elk with a cow call.i sent ben forward to set up.tw told me he heard animals coming and before ben could reach the point i told him to set up the elk spotted him moving and beat a hasty retreat.this was within the first hour in camp.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: one special hunt (bens elk hunt)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »

camp
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:59:00 AM »

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »

tw drinks gasoline so dont mess with him

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:33:00 AM »
the next days are an unreal mix of ups and downs that would make any elkhunter quiver in his boots.we were in elk every time we went into the woods it seemed,i think all but one hunt had screaming bulls in it.tw only had two days to hunt and was very involved in the hunt.
  the elk were very cautious and were being hunted hard from all sides,this was going to be tough.sunday evening after trying to work in on a screaming herd bull tw, ben and i had a young bull come running towards us,tw tried a shot but his arrow failed to connect.
  the following day was tw's last day and we had more bulls screaming at us directly behind camp.we ran up on a bull and tw and ben rushed forward and set up.i cow called sparingly for a few minutes and then i stepped forward a few steps to move us up closer.tw's hand shot up and i froze in my tracks.there had been a 4-5 point bull coming in silently from my right as i was standing to the left side of a large pine.the bull spotted my movement and turned and trotted back into the pines  (to be continued)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 04:50:00 AM »
Been waiting on this thread. Keep it coming Larry.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »

i was dejected but these things happen to the best of us...heres the area this event happened

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Come on with it.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
ben,tw and paul will be injecting stories along with mine.my friend carl arrived on tuesday and our little camp grew quite a bit with the addition of an outfitters tent,cots,awning and several more items of comfort.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »

camp post carls arrival

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
on the third day ben and i were sitting in camp after a frustrating round of hide and seek with yet another bull,we were discussing what was best for breakfast when movement up the road caught my eye.four elk were trotting towards us while we sat pinned down in our chairs,they trotted past us at 45 yds,i mewed they stopped and the raghorn bull with them was giving bucky the arrow stopper the evil eye then they walked off.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »

bucky

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
tw,ben and i worked our way down my favorite little dirt road towards some of the best elk hunting anywhere.it was still dark but getting light slowly.i was calling periodically with a cow call.we headed up a heavily traveled trail to the right of the road when we heard what sounded like a huge bull screaming at us directly below us.our wind was bad so we moved to the right of the bull then down hill at a fast pace,tw and ben set up on the bull,more calling and then two more bulls started screaming at the first bull,tw heard brush cracking and while we stood there listening to this volly of bugles i looked at ben and felt a tear running down my cheek.an elk hunter had been created and i reminded myself that this is why i hunt.to share my experiences and pass on the fever that burns inside the elkhunter

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »

ben standing by a demolished pine that was one of many in the area

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Nice!
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Looking good Ben Im gonna call you after I get back in tonight.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
as some of you know i have been struggling with a bad leg problem,on the third day i started feeling sick and weak.i feared the worst as first it swells and if it turns red i have a serious problem on my hands.it was turning red rapidly and i feared my hunt with ben was over.i pretty much ignored carls,bens and pauls urging to stay in camp and do nothing.i had waited the year out for this hunt as well as ben and nothing was stopping me now.nothing.i hid the worst of it from carl who wanted to take me down to the hospital like he had done several years earlier.not happening

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »

ben and tw sitting down for a pic

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
:campfire:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »

little ground squirrel givin us heck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©