3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: one special hunt (bens elk hunt)  (Read 1185 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: one special hunt (bens elk hunt)
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
paul eventually started taking ben out on the morning hunts and i took him on the evening hunts to let my leg rest as much as possible,ben and i had been trying to pattern this one huge bull that i had gotten a look at from a distance.he was a huge bull,looked to be in the 330-350 range.on this one particular evening we headed up a shale rock covered draw hoping to get an encounter with this big bull.we worked our way up the ridge cursing the swirling winds that seemed to follow us around wherever we went.i cow called periodically.shortly before dark a gunshot echoed through the forest,foiled again.on the way back down the ridge i saw a flat rock a couple feet across,i circled around it,in the next instant i was standing on the wrong end of a very large and very angry timber rattler.he rattled...i yelled to ben to move quick then jumped towards him....close call...my heart was pounding like a jackhammer.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
YIKES
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
more later..momma wants the computer  :bigsmyl:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Larry, nice too see ya'll made it back safe and sound. Sorry to hear about your leg. I know that knee was a bothering you before I left.

If any Tradgangers want to share a great camp with some great people, Larry and Ben are top knotch. I had the best time I've ever experienced on any hunt with these guys. I only wish that I could have stayed the whole duration. Larry, being the novice that he is, took ten minutes to get us into some action on that first day.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
There should be a rule about this sort of caper!

Another wonderful elk hunt!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
story gets real interesting

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
friday morning paul and ben left camp pretty early so i took the opportunity to sneak out for a solo hunt.east of camp .41 of a mile there is a large mahogony thicket that runs back over a mile.i hiked back to the very end of this thicket and as i slowly worked my way back towards camp i started seeing fresh sign everywhere,pretty soon i started smelling elk then i spotted a lot of elk bedded up ahead of me.i started mewing softly and checked my wind.i heard some running and looked to my left and spotted the dreaded yearling elk coming in fast and furious complete with the dust cloud.he skids to a stop no more than 12yds whipping his cute little head around looking for the cow that was mewing.i let him live another year,he sees me move and explodes outta there taking all of the others with him   "[dntthnk]"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I can vouch for how fast those yearlings can move!   :biglaugh:  To bad he busted up the party Larry. Might have had an opportunity at one of the larger ones.   :(
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
cool stuff so far fellas....

But I gotta say you have a serious safety issue going on with those un-covered broadheads!  Not only for yourself, but those you hunt with. In this day and age with so many quality quivers on the market, I thought that was a "thing of the past"....

Get those bh's covered!   :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
You and Paul rule Larry!  Glad ya'll had another great elk hunt.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
that was a quik fix quiver cause i broke my good one...buckster.....you would have been in elk heaven......i am going to wait for ben to get home to finish this story....  :rolleyes:

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
:campfire:   Bring it on!!!

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
Thursday morning Larry's leg was bothering him, so I asked Ben if he wanted to hunt with me and he was ready and willing.

I had a spot in mind that my step son Robert and I hunted the last evening we were there during our first week. It was off of the beaten path and I had heard bugles the one evening that Robert and I hunted it, so I figured it a good spot to take Ben.

Because it wasn't planned the night before, Ben and I were a little late getting dropped off, but that didn't seem to matter. We dropped into a steep draw, then up the other side, over a large dry grass flat and were heading toward a ridge about 3/4 of a mile from the road to do some locator calls when we heard a bugle a few hundred yards away.

I put Ben out front about 100 yards in this semi open area and did some calling. The bull wasn't gonna play so we chased him.

We got up the ridge and did a couple of cow calls but no response, so I hit the bugle and 2 bulls and one hunter fired back. Yep, another hunter was in our midst.

One of the bulls headed for the hills, because his bugles got farther and farther and the other bull we thought left or went silent, so just to make sure, we followed the sound toward the other hunter and yep it was a hunter.

We then directed our attention toward a draw with timber where we heard one of the bulls last bugle from. It was a good place to start. As we walked slowly along the hillside, I needed a short break, so we sat down. A minute or two later Ben sees a coyote, but now I believe it was a calf.

Then we see a cow run up hill 100 yards out, so I tell Ben, the rest of the heard is probably here, then we hear the bull fire off 200 yards away. I put Ben out front and start calling from 75 yards behind him. After a couple of minutes the bull has bugled back twice and then I hear foot stomps to my left.

Ben had watched a cow run up to within 30 yards of me, but I was too busy concentrating on getting that bull into Ben.

The bull didn't appear to be coming to cow calls, so I hit the bugle and he shut up and left the seen. Lesson learned. Don't bugle at a bull with cows. Not that isn't always the case, but it was in this case.

I didn't think we were as far in that draw as we were and we ended up right on top of the herd.

We put on another 7 miles to get back to camp that morning and ready for lunch and I took a nap before going back out that eveining.

Friday: Ben and I got an early start. This time we made it to our locator ridge just after daylight. I did one Carlton cow call and no response. I had a call from mother nature, so I dug a small hole. As I'm in the middle of my paper work, a bull fires off about 300 yards away. I make short work of my task and get over to Ben for a plan. I hit the Carlton one more time and the bull fires back but has ridge topped into another ravine.

We head after him. After moving about 500 yards and into a spot I figure he could easily hear us, I hit the cow calls and no response, so I hit a bugle and no response. A few minutes pass and I believe it was a solo bull coming for a fight goes off in front of us about 250 yards. I told Ben we are going to get aggressive on this boy, so we move up about 50 yards and I am just about to set Ben in position when I see 2 other hunters heading to the bull, then we hear foot stomps, and realize the bull is heading right for us.

Ben and I both nock an arrow, the 5 x 5 runs up to about 50 yards and stops, looks us over for about 5 seconds and turns tail and runs off.

Game over on bull number 2.

There are a lot of elk, but there are a lot of hunters as well. This particular bull was very killable. He was aggressive and ready to fight. Unfortunately, the other hunters wanted him to.

Welcome to hunting public land 101.

Ben and I hunted hard for the rest of the morning covering several miles and got into another herd, but were busted.

After running into so many hunters, Ben leaving in the morning, and Larry's leg limiting his ability, I decided to head home that evening.

It was fun and I appreciate Larry inviting me to hunt in his area and share camp.

Larry's friend Carl was a heck of a camp host. He cooked for us and ran us around in his truck dropping us off miles away, so we could hunt back to camp.

Ben was a treat to hunt with. Definately a guy that isn't afraid to put on some boot miles.

All in all I had a great time. This is my first year of Trad only in Oregon. I converted from compound and I stuck it out. I was missing my compound on a couple of those bulls that were within compound range, but I made it through with out swapping back over. It just means that I have to make tag soup this year

:biglaugh:   this year.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
friday night ben and i had trekked down my favorite little dirt road again and i set ben up on a heavily used trail then i went down the road towards another heavily used trail.i was feeling very sick and weak because of my leg but i had to hunt.as i got within 75yds of my trail i slowed to a crawl,i look to my right as i hear noise,up pops a mulie doe,i look for horns....nothing...then suddenly up jumps a very nice 4x4 buck....hes no more than twenty five yds from me,i reach down grab an arrow then i did something i have never done before.my arrow fell out of my fingers and hit the rocks with a clank...buck runs off..sickened by the bad luck i picked up my arrow and continued to my ambush point.after sitting on a rock outcrop overlooking my trail for an hour or so i hear brush crashing above me no more than two hundred yds away.i sit silently waiting,the silence is broken by the groans and attemted bugles of a big bull,they had moved to my east and were working their way down the slope away from me.i jumped down the hill and went out into the flats a hundred yds or so then started mewing with my primos cowgirl call.the bull responded often so i kept pouring it to him varying the length from a lost cow to an estrus wail but very light not to aggressive.the bull is now what i considered to be fired up and shootable,he moves to within one hundred yds and starts destroying a tree,almost dark and i have to be here when ben comes out or run the risk of losing him so knowing hes my responsibility and not knowing how far me and this bull would have gone before a shot opportunity would have arose i stayed put and continued calling him trying to get him to commit.he turned and left eventually leaving me shaking with excitement and drained from being sick.in conclusion we had a great trip but spilled no blood,action every morning and evening but like it happens sometimes things just have to fall into place exactly in the correct sequence.ben in my opinion will be back and he will be welcome in my camp and i'll continue sharing my knowledge and stories with him.tw has the drive to be a good elk hunter and trust my word he too will be back next year.my stupid leg cannot continue to create problems to this magnitude or i'll be sitting on the outside looking in.one can only dream of hunts like this,to be in screaming bulls twice a day for a week is a successful hunt.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Wow!  Sounds like a great hunt!  One of these days I'm gonna get after them!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
ben will be posting by tomorrow i hope

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt.Blacktailbowhunter great job.Elkherder   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
WHEW!!!!  What a drive!!!
finally got back this afternoon....still gotta unpack and make some time for momma and my lil' girl. haven't read much of this yet---i'll get to it tomorrow with some pics!!!

ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Welcome home Ben. Glad you had a safe trip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©