3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows on the Little Delta  (Read 413 times)

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Bows on the Little Delta
« on: September 27, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
I'm reading it for the first time and have to say that it's truly fascinating.  The things that I find most amazing are the fact that there truly were large numbers of unhunted animals at that time that weren't accustomed to hunters and would allow things that today's critters never would.  The other thing that amazes me are the stories of emptying back quivers at groups of sheep, at moose, etc..

We romantically presume that the Bears and St. Charles' of the world never missed game and never made bad shots.  Well, it isn't true.  In fact, at times I'm left staring at the page thinking, "whoa, you'd never get away with that stuff today."  They truly were legends and got traditional archery kick started, I don't mean to besmirch their reputations, it is what it is.

Are there copies or DVDs available of the orgininal Little Delta movies or any others like them?  I think it'd be fascinating to watch.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows on the Little Delta
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Glenn mentions in the book that Fred's movie of the "Grubstake Bowhunt" is about the second Little Delta safari.  I'm not sure if I've seen it many years ago or not but I'll be ordering that one soon.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Yep, that book is a classic  :thumbsup:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
yep THE MAN is a classic himself.bd

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
That is a good book to read,as well the ones about Fred Bear.Those two guys did ALOT for traditional archery.As well as other guys in the past have done also.
Harold Wetzler

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
"In fact, at times I'm left staring at the page thinking, "whoa, you'd never get away with that stuff today."
Read some of Howard Hill's exploits, like shooting an elk at 185 yards  :scared:    :scared:  I doubt anybody would want to try that nowadays, or at least I hope not.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
centaur, you're right.  Again, I'm not trying to insult anyone or besmirch their reps because these guys were much better archers than I'll ever be but I was blown away by some of the crazy stuff (and very set up stuff) that I saw on Hill's videos.  I realize that, in addition to being a great archer, that he was an entertainer, but it must have been a very different world then.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Saxton Pope or the Thompsons offer very similar circumstances. Recently watched televised compounder try (3) 100 yard shots across a gourge at sheep. Didn't come close. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©