3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Viper Deluxe ?s  (Read 1474 times)

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
Viper Deluxe ?s
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
anyone shoot one of these, what do you think of it?

I've never bought a brand new bow before, after pricing all I can say is  :eek:  WOW!!

I can get a new viperd delivered for $185. Sounds like a good deal, depending on what you guys think about the bow, I might get one.

Thanks for any all info
Harold

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Viper Deluxe ?s
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
Ive got one ....

NOTE: Please do not offer gear for sale on the PowWow - directly PM or email the intended person offline, or use the Classifieds.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Thanks jacobsladder but I'm afraid I might have the same trouble. I've had the tripleb and both shoulders repaired so I'm topping out at about 50#s these days.
Harold

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
sounds good... If your are looking for a lower weight bow at a low price... you might want to check out the ragim little hawk... My son has one 68" at 45#... I bought it used for 125.00.. nice little bow.... Another option,  if you dont mind buying used is to post on the traditional bow forum for what your'e looking for and how much you want to spend.... these guys on here have a bunch of bows hanging on their racks...And you might get a nicer bow for around 200.00... the only negative thing I have to say about the viper is that there was some flaws in the stain underneath the finish... not real even.Hope this helps .. have a good one!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
ine got one and i LOVE IT!!!  its 45# @ 28" RH with a custom flemish Twist string (red and green) Coyote hair silencers and Limb saver String Leeches, Limb Savewr Trad bow vibration silencer on the limbs. good bow, and i cant tell the difference with or with out the Limb saver on the limbs.....
just my 2 cents....
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the replys and link, good review.

I went ahead and made the order, I figure for the money, I should be OK with it.
Harold

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Yuh get a one year replacement warranty with it through AIM Archery. It'll come in a cardboard tube, half apart when you get it just like everyone else does   :(   Check it over real good. Just giving you the heads up. Otherwise, not a bad bow for the money.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
I bought one in February and so far I really like it. It is my first longbow and I am new to traditional but it has been a pleasure to shoot so far. One thing about it, it is silent. I put string leeches on the string and man it makes ZERO noise. Mine is 45# @28". I purchased it because I didn't want to sink a huge amount of $$ in my first bow, and I am more than impressed with it's value. I'm about to dress mine up with some skin-eez so it'll look like it costs more.LOL
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
I shot one before buying my custom. I really liked it, however I honestly believe you can find a better bow built by a private bowyer for about the same money----that will outperform the Viper.
JMHO

Jeff

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 01:21:00 AM »
I really enjoy my Viper Deluxe.  It will be my primary bow until the Striker Stinger that I ordered is received.  For the price the Viper is a great looking and shooting bow.  I would have gotten a Bear Montana for a little more, but its grip didn't feel as nice to me as the Viper's.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
I had been saving for something special but because of things, it just never came about. Mostly because I just got tired of looking and trying, I decided to go for what I really could afford.

:scared:  there aint none, this was as close as I could get to them paying me to take the bow.    :knothead:
Harold

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
MO, the Viper longbows are well made and shoot just fine. The only differences 'tween the standard and Deluxe are cosmetic. The Viper will exhibit reasonably decent arrow speed only if you replace the stock 16 strand Dacron string with a suitable string of low count modern fiber (such as 12 strands of Dyneema or Vectran, i.e. - Dynaflight'97, 450+, Dyneema'02, FastFlight, etc). A good modern fiber string length for the Viper is 64-1/2". The long limbs offer good shooting stability, but will reduce arrow speed and are more difficult to maneuver in the brush or up a tree stand.

IMO, there are better (faster, shorter) hybrid hunting longbows than the Viper, but even if purchased used most of them will command about $100 more. It's all about trade-offs and compromises, when spending money is in limited supply.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »
Rob
I was thinking about the string when I read your post. You used a 10 strand, BCY, Dyneema'02, 64 1/2", endless loop bowstring and another review I read, a Flemish twist, 10 strand, DF97, 64", string was used, both with 50# bows.
Who here makes strings like these, cause I'll be wanting one?
Harold

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
I would recommend 12 strands of any standard modern fiber (Dynaflight'97 is great, but exclude the thicker strand stuff such as Vectran 450+) for a 64-1/2" endless string (spun flat - some rounding twists added later).  Flemish strings have more inherent "coil stretch" because they're twisted, and endless will have less.  

Besides twisting top notch Flemish strings, Chad Weaver also spins an awesome endless string and I highly recommend his string making services -  Champion Custom Strings

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by JBiorn:
I shot one before buying my custom. I really liked it, however I honestly believe you can find a better bow built by a private bowyer for about the same money----that will outperform the Viper.
JMHO

Jeff
Really Jeff?  A quality, proven, custom hybrid glass 'n' wood longbow crafted by a known bowyer for $200 or less?  PM or email the answer, please.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
PM sent

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Rob
Thanks, I'll be ordering a string from Chad today.

Jeff
I spent some time looking and couldnt find anything anywhere close to the exact $184.95 delivered, that I payed the fella I ordered the viper from. The closest I could get is the bear montana and with shipping it was just over $300. I couldnt find a bowyer who could match the price of the bear.
Harold

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
I have the standard 55# Viper and have been shooting it for a year now. The bow is fast, quite, and I've not had a single issue with it. Mine still wears the factory string.

What would I do different if I ordered the bow today?

I'd replace the string.

I'd order one 5 pound lighter so I could shoot it all day long.

I'd probably order the delux 'cause it's pretty.

:)

I think you did good.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Hey Rob, great string information for the Viper.  Thanks!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©