3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Central Ohio deer season hunting cronicals  (Read 798 times)

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
Central Ohio deer season hunting cronicals
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi I'm celticknot.Im 27 and this is my third season hunting with trad bows. This is my season. (a work in progress)

Today was the second day of deer season in Ohio. My first time out because I let the season sneak up on me and wasn't ready. I was up till 1am sharpening broadheads and mounting them.
Well to start the day off good I shut off my alarm at 5am and fell back to sleep.   :knothead:   So i woke up an hour late. 6am jump out of bed, shower, stretch (back issues}, check the gear, grab a cup of coffee and I'm out the door. Swing by Tim's Aka Tim Hortons, grab a Bagel B.E.L.T. and head for deer ground. Well I show up an hour late, grab my gear and start walking the 7 acres to my spot. As always when Im running behind during deer season I spook a decent 2 year old 8 point as I'm going in. Well i get to my spot and its already daylight. I set up. It has been misting on and off all morning. It is 61degrees the wind is coming in from the west south west(completely not what I wanted). Well I sit for a while and there is nothing going on except for a buzzard circling around me. Well I have been sitting for about an hour and have seen nothing so far, so I stand up and look over the field and there is nothing, so I sneak around the tree line to see if there is anything going on in the other field. Well I look around the brush and about 150-180 yards out there is a doe creeping around the coner of some woods. Well it has been sprinkling on and off for a while now, so I decide that I will see if I can sneak up wind of her. Well long stalk short, she dissapeared before I ever got close. So i go back to my setup and sit. Well it starts to spit rain and I decide I'll wait 5 more minutes and I'm done. 5 minutes later I'm taking a few quick pictures and I'm headed to a few spots to glass with my eyes and then since it's ranning I'm headed to church. I am going back out tonight.

This is my little spot. It is in a cemetery from the early to mid 1800s.

This is some of my gear a badlands 2200 pack and a shane hyme longbow 45#@28 64" 700gr Ash shafts with modified grizzly 190gr-160gr El Grande broadheads. Three fluflus with 160gr hex blunts. I'll shoot anything while I'm hunting as long as its legal and edible. That includes garden grizzlies.

This is my new hunting buddy even though I really hate him. But as long as he leaves me alone I'll leave him alone.

And last but not least, this is me cold wet and dead tired. Usually my eye doesn't look that weird. But I guess thats what 4.5 hours of sleep will do to a fellow.

Let me know if I should keep this going.?
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Central Ohio deer season hunting cronicals
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Yeah, keep it going.  I always enjoy reading about other's adventures at night or at work when I can't be out there myself.  Good luck, Sam

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
thanks sam

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I like the premise of this thread!   :scared:   Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to the afternoon hunt.  Hope church was worth getting out of the rain!
Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Heck of a ground blind there, good luck and keep it going. Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Keep it going and sleep is for sissies.  :-D

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
There's something crawling on the side of your nose!   Oh yes, tell us more.    :thumbsup:

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Hey George thats a chromed booger. I liked it so much I thought it would look better shiney.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
The evening hunt. Went back to the grave yard and the wind was blowing about 20mph, so I decided to find a better spot that would put them coming into me. I walked down the fence row to an old gas meter and a deer crossing and decided 20 feet further down up wind would be a good spot. It is also a good spot because the crossing is right on the edge line of a soy bean field that buts up to a hay field. I started to set up under a low hanging limb. I set up a few limbs as a brush blind and it all seemed to be pretty good until I wasn't paying attention(I was actually playing on the internet on my new phone out of boredom) a little fawn came frolicking up through the field at a good trot with out a care in the world. All of a sudden, dead stop. What is that blob sitting right there. I m gonna stomp my foot and bob my head and see if it moves. He was a funny lil fella. Well after a little investigation he moved on, but not with out the thought of him on my plate.
Just to get one thing straight there is no such thing to me as a passable meal. Food is food and I feel if god didn't want me to eat it He wouldn't have given me the shot. Well after that little exibition of silliness, I figure I should put up somemore brush so I found a few limbs with dead leaves still attached to them and put them up in front of me angeled toward the field. about 45 minutes before sunset I see a year and a half old buck coming up over the roll of the field, he was either a spike or a small 4 point. He walks all the way up the side of the soybeans and i slowly turn along with him, when all of a sudden I realize my broadhead is sticking to a twig on the brush I had set up. I slowly try to manuever the broadhaed off of the twig and it just isn't working and the deer is getting closer to jumping the fence . Finally i give up with trying to be quiet about it and just tug on it and it pops off and makes some noise. I was for sure I was busted. I look back up and hes behind the over hang in the tree time to draw up. He finishes his walk right in front of the fence and I bleat for him to stop. He doesn't stop, I bleat again. He stops, pops his head up in my direction. As soon as he drops his head is when I will have my chance. He drops his head and I draw back. He instantly starts walking, right in to the brush and over the fence he goes. Dang it, must not have been the way it was meant to be. Not that I really want to use a buck tag on a deer that small but food is food and the only thing I can use antlers for are bow racks and knife handles. Well about 20 minutes later I hear some noise form the field behind me and see a streak. I draw my bow up and in tisipate a deer jumping the fence. I wait for a few seconds and wonder if it walked down the fence, and leap there is the little buck again, and away he goes. I bleat a couple times and he isn't stopping. Must of had somewhere he had to be, or he winded me on the backside of me and just wanted to be somewhere safe. Well I see a few more deer run out in to the field and chew around at 200 yards and stay till dark. I had a deer wind me from behind and it kept blowing for about 5 minutes. I didn't see anything else close for the rest of the night and pack up my stuff and head on my way to the grocery store.

This is a picture of the soy bean field butting up against the hay field from my blind before I added more cover.

This is the hay field to the right of me. I saw several good sized deer out around 200 yards.

I'm gonna try and draw up an aerial of the area I'm hunting just so you get a better idea of one of the places I will be hunting.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Nice place to hunt brother, I'm so jelious  :notworthy:
Zen without realization of the body is empty speculation. If I could only stop dropping the BOW!!!!!!

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks Don. Your more than welcome anytime, but there really isn't as much to hunt as you would think.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Are you hoping the deer just fall over dead in  the cemetary?  :bigsmyl:  

Glad to hear you're out hunting---Bella didn't recognize you with the beard!  
Hope to get out there next week......give me a call sometime,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Will do ben. I got some more pics and another story to post but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
gotta love this ohio weather 40 plus winds last two days
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a good time!

I'm getting frustrated and it is only 6 days into deer season. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has worked out correctly so far this year. I still have time to turn it around, but I better get with it!

So far...I have been lost in the same patch of woods twice & only seen one deer close. I have already spent 14 hours in the woods with very little to show.  The only thing I had in shooting distance was a squirrel and that screwed up a chance at a deer for me!

It'll come around, but it is getting hard to be patient.

Keep with your chronicles Irish!!!

-Charlie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
Hope this weekend produces a shot.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
I call them zipper spiders. Looks like that one is ready to lay a nest of egg's. Look for a big round, brown marble sized cacoon close by. That will be the nest of egg's.

Good luck and you're not the only one getting a late start!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
keep the stories coming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©