3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you don't wear camo, what do you wear?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you don't wear camo, what do you wear?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
I own lots of camo, but don't rely on it. Besides, it keeps shrinking....

Most of my bowhunting is done in one of 2 wool shirts....one is brownish/tan plaid that works great in oaky areas, the other is greyish/green/black that works everywhere else.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Wapitidung, as the lead pro-staff member of Goodwill, Eastern Region, sub district 0001212, Rt.30 East Branch, I can set you up.  I think. I will forward a commendation to your local Goodwill Store.  It may take awhile as I have to ship the commendation via Goodwill Truck.  Good things come to those who wait 8^).

Here's another photo of me in a former favorite, wool sweater.  It got washed in hot water by my dear wife and will not fit my svelt frame anymore.  Alas, I have sent it on to another Tradgang member who may choose at some point to model it for us 8^).

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Small wood,
You da man. I would wear kilts if I could find my clan pattern (and could afford them)!

above all, we must keep our sense of humor

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Leo. Find a thrift store. Every town has at least one full of wool & flannels for next to nothing. GS was right again...dammit! Kiddin G.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
I'm slowly getting away from camo.  I wanted a wool vest, so my wonderful mother found me some tan/green plaid in wool.  I'm having it lined with a layer of windstop nylon and an inner layer of fleece.  Best part is it will be tailored for me and the price is just right.  I'll post pics when its finished.  I'm trying to get her to start making the same shirts she's been doing for years as everyone who sees them wants to know how to get them.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
I've been buying wool Pendleton shirts on E--- for the "slightly cooler" months(I grew up in MI and NY, I know what cold is).
Just today I found a cheap cotton flannel at Bass Pro, it should be good next month when it starts to slowly cool down here.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
this shirt is what I'm most often found in during oct/nov.

its a cheap cotton lined plaid hoodie from walmart.

I do still by camo, but as a general rule only off the clearance rack and only 50% off or more.

PS the pants I'm wearing in the pic are swedish wool from one of the cheap catalogs.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Leo L.:
Where do you find cotton flannels?  The flannels I've seen at Walmart and stuff are all dress shirts.  
Leo,

I've found good stuff at both Target and Costco.  It's a little hit or miss, especially for Costco, but I've found some really good stuff for some pretty modest prices.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
I wear some type of cotton or saddlecloth camo pants, just because I got a few pairs on clearance once, a long sleeved brown or black t-shirt with a green, brown and black, wool/flannel- type shirt, with the arms cut off to make it a vest. Long underwear underneath if needed. This does me fine until the snow flies.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I have solid brown wool shirt and vest from Teresa Asbell.  I believe that movement give me away way more than color.  I do think that the open plaids work well, but I normally stick to solid colors.  I just got this stuff from Teresa so I don't have any hunting pics yet, but I will!  It's a nice soft almost fuzzy wool so it won't reflect light and make me look shiny either.  I think G. Fred talks about that shiny thing in his STALKING & STILL-HUNTING book too.

I've worn wool in solid colors for years and it's my favorite.

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Bowsin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
This is what I've been wearing the last couple years , wool with a fleece liner .

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
goodwill has a site similar to E***. Bargains can be found

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
I have a large sellection of "earth-toned" 100% wool sweaters that I have purchased at the local Good Will store over the last few years. I don't think I have paid over $5 for any of them. For pants I have a couple pairs of heavy wool hunting pants,but for warm weather you can pick up some light weight 100% wool gray or brown dress pants from the Good Will for about $5 a pair.

Personaly I have worn plain old "blue jeans" hunting for most of my 49 years. Yeah, I know..... "Cotton Kills!!!" blah....blah....blah..... But I'm not dead yet!!!!! LOL

A few years ago I made myself 4 pair of "huntin' jeans".....

I bought 4 pair of black denim jeans from the Good Will store,came home and threw them in the washing machine with 2 cups of liquid bleach,and let them run through a complete wash and rinse cycle. Then I ran them through another complete wash cycle with clean water. The end result.....

4 pair of "dirt brown" Huntin' Jeans!!!!!  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Woodchucker.....I thought blue for deer hunting was a no-no?  I'm new at this...kind of, haha.

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Uncle Buck:
goodwill has a site similar to E***. Bargains can be found
www.shopgoodwill.com
???

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I've been looking at all the Goodwills in my area with no luck! I wish I could find some good cheap wool! Bowsin, that is a good lookin top! where did you get that? Jason

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
I own/wear alot of camo, but the other day I went looking for some cotton for the early season.  A camo shirt was twice as much as flannel, and the flannel shirt was much better quality.  So my cotton gear is flannel this year. I'm positive it will work just as well.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Leo L.

If I go back through my photo album.....(the one with just plain old pictures LOL) I've probly got pictures of about 2 dozen deer I've killed while wearing blue jeans during the 70's and 80's. Back when I started hunting in the 1970's all of the farmers wore old blue denim barn cover-alls.(maybe with a red hooded sweat-shirt over it for "safety's sake") while shotgun hunting.

I've even got a picture of an 8 pointer I shot in 1982..... I was wearing blue jeans,a "camo" hooded sweat-shirt,and a "baby blue" Ford Tractor hat!!!!!    :rolleyes:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 05:57:00 AM »
Thanks George!  Geez, I'm ProStaff now.
Apprentice - GoodWill Industries ProStaff

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
Thanks woodchucker, that's good stuff right there.  And stuff like that, which made me realize I don't need to spend lots of money on camo clothing when it's really not necessary.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©