3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boots advice please.....  (Read 373 times)

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Boots advice please.....
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
for an elk hunt.  I'm gonna be buying a new pair of boots soon and would like some advice/knowledges, please.  Its gonna be a cold hunt mid december, northern mountains of new mexico.  Lots of hiking (possible miles per day).  This week I'm gonna be trying on a few pairs just wondering if you all had any experience with these.

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme
Cabelas Meindl Alaska Hunter
Cabelas Danner Elk Hunter
Schnees Lowa Sheep Hunter
Danner Montana Hunter

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boots advice please.....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
I've owned/used the danner elk hunter, cabelas meindl perfekt hiker, danner mountain hiker and danner hood mountain.  As soon as I returned from my hunt this year I bought the uninsulated kenetrek mountain extreme to try.

All of the boots you listed above are quality.  All of the boots I've tried are quality.  Problem is that what works for me may not work for you...So now I'm wearing the kenetreks and so far so good.

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
ttt

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
anyone else with suggestions?

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Alot cheaper than danner and great boots Irish Setter elk tracker. I have 2 pairs and they sell them in a variety of sizes grain weights and styles. They are very versitile and only about $190.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Lonnie bailey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I 2nd the Danner boots, great boot and very compfortable
2012 Traditional World Champion MLB

Zipper SXT T/D longbow 60" 46# @28"
Zipper Zipstick longbow 60" 42# @28"

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I have a pair of Danners that just made thier fourth trip to the mountains of Idaho. They are THE most comfortable pair of boots I have ever put my feet into. Just my 2 cents worth.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
BMG,

The Schnees Lowa Sheep Hunters are definitely the best on your list.  Top of the line.  I own a pair and love them.  BUT.....for where you are gonna be hunting, I'm not sure that I would recommend them; a bit too much boot for where you are gonna be hunting.  I would recommend any of the Wolverine brand hunting boots with Thinsulate insulation and Gore-tex water proofing.  You can't go wrong.  They're also very light weight  ;)  

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Having connections with the Danner guys I used their boots for nearly 20 years until they were bought by LaCrosse and what had been a brilliant boot went IMO to a good boot (they still make a few terrific models).  Tried a few European boots and must say Meindls we impressive.  Then had Lowa recommended to me for a goat hunt and the boot hunt is over.  The Sheephunter is a fabulous boot, you just can not go wrong with them.  Never had a boot break-in so fast or do all things so well.

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
See if you can find some Hanwags to try.
Lots of different models, they were recommended to me by a friend on the local SWAT team, they need to have good gear and cover a variety of terrain from desert to mtns. He is a bowhunter as well, ONLY boot he wears.

Terry

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I have a pair of Kenetreks and a pair of Danner Pronghorns. I love my Kenentreks!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
thanks for the info so far, much appreciated.  

Steertalker, I put the Lowa Sheep Hunter on the list knowing full well that its way more boot than I need for where I'm heading, was just curious as to experiences with those listed.  I would place the Kenetrek with the Sheep Hunter as well.  I know they are great boots just way more than I need for this hunt.  I used to own a pair of La Sportiva Karakorum (actually model made before these), serious mountain boots.  

I've been eyeballing the Meindls and the Danners for a while now, just wanted to hear from some TG'ers what their experiences where with these boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©