3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any luck in Ohio yet?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any luck in Ohio yet?
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
17 days and a wake up and I'll be heading to Ohio for a week long hunt.

Longbowben, I'll be happy to help manage a few of those deer for you when I get there  :D
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Here are more.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
See you soon.We are going to have a great time,And your going to put on some weight.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Great looking 8pt BIG body size  :thumbsup:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
You all just leave that 8pt. alone. I've got him slated for opening day NEXT year!lol
Oh yea Paul, you'll definately gain some weight. The smoker will be fired up. Hopefully we'll get you on a good one.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Longbowben...nice pictures!!!  Hopefully I will be able to share some of the 150's I'm targetting...no luck yet but some good sightings.  Isn't it great to be alive this time of year chasing big bucks in Ohio!!!!

Dan

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
All of this bucks are too small to shoot .We will be checking more cams this weekend And missingimpossible just built 2 more to putout this weekend.We are trying to find big 10 which is the biggest buck on our farm 180plus.Havent seen him since aug.Good luck to you, And yes its great hunting big bucks in ohio.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
Took today off after hunting this morning and seeing alot of deer. Looked at the weather forcast and it called for rain until around 5:00PM thought the deer would get up and move to go to the corn, and I was right seen close to 30 deer 11 bucks but no shooters.When the rain stopped the deer opened the flood gates and ran for the corn fields. Did my part and took a nice juicy doe for the freezer. This was by far my best sit yet this year, seen a nice 8pt maybe next year for him. Now the wait begins for my buck  :archer:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Congrats lets see it.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »
man you guys got it made in the shade gettin to shoot multiple deer.guess its a good thing i only hunt elk or i'd be your neighbor.i buy my deer tag every year just in case i run into a huge mulie while i'm herding elk  :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
Yea Larry, multiple deer, but only one buck. No matter how you kill it(gun, bow, muzzleloader) still only one buck. Thats why they get so big around these parts. But we are aloud several does:) I'm itching to get back out. Maybe this weekend. Can't wait to get Paul up here in a couple weeks. You could be with him?????

forestcreature-congrats! nice to get some meat in the freezer. He double lunged her at 8 yards and she only ran 30 and tipped over. Doesn't get any better than that.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
I got lucky Sunday evening. I took a 9 pt, gross 131 P & Y. Took it with my new GN Critter Gitter, Jacknife, 62", 46# @ 28", wood arrow with a 160 gr Stos broadhead. He was following a couple of does.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Congrats fishone!!!!!! Lets see some pics and hear the story.  :campfire:

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
I'll give you the story tonight. I have photos but don't know how to post them. I can send them to someone if they know how to post.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Man, I've got to get moving...for some reason I'm just not getting out in the woods this year. I think I was was so dang pumped up for my elk hunt that I really didn't do any deer scouting/prep. So I just threw a couple stands up and that was it.
 Plus this is my first year working 3rd. shift and I just can't seem to geet motivated. I'm either too tired in the a.m. or get up too late in the p.m.  :help:  
I'm hoping if I keep checking in on these posts, I'l get myself pumped up. Usually, I'm chomping at the bit to get into the woods. I normally have at least 10 hunts in by now. I'm sitting on 2 short hunts  this year!
SO.........as a hunting addict who seems to have fallen off the wagon------heep posting guys!! I'm counting on the updates!!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Maybe this will help Ben, I just pulled some fresh tender backstrap from a doe I got 2 weeks ago, out of the broiler and and am enjoying it while I type this!

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Here is the story:

Sunday afternoon I called my bow hunting buddy of over 20 years to asked him where I should hunt Sunday evening. I had been hunting several times and seen a few does but no bucks. He suggested a woods and told me to climb a tree next to the standing corn that surrounded the woods. He thought there might be a buck or two in the standing corn field.

At 4 pm I headed to the woods. It had been timbered a few years before so there were not many trees I could climb with my Ol Man climber.
I found a smaller tree right on the edge of the
woods, next to a 30 ft quail habitat strip, with
standing corn all around the quail habitat. I was
40 yds from the corner of the woods when it made a 90 degree turn to the left, with the same type of cover for 1/8 of a mile.

Nothing happened until about an hour before dark.
I heard some noise that sounded like deer in the standing corn field about 50 yds away to the left. I then seen a doe and 2 yearlings coming from the North in the quail habitat eating ears
of corn from the corn stalks as they walked. I then noticed another deer about 20 yds behind the first three deer. It was a very nice buck.
They fed to South where the woods, quail habitat
and standing corn took a 90 degree turn to the West, which was towards me.

The doe and 2 yearlings came within 15 yards of me, with the buck now 40 yards behind them. I knew I wouldn't get a shot at the buck as the doe was about to get down wind of me and this fun would be over. I waited for the doe to smell me and then blow, but it never happened. I couldn't believe my luck. The doe then took a right turn into the woods. Again, I knew the doe would cross my track where I walked in the woods
to the tree and alert the buck. I couldn't believe it but she crossed my track without alarm. Was I actually going to get a shot at this buck????

Now my attention was focused on the buck. In order for me to get a shot I had to turn towards the tree, stand on the back left edge of the stand with both feet and lean out around the tree.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
The buck was now only 15 yds away following the same path as the other deer. He stopped a step or two just short of my small opening to shoot, in heavy brush. It appeared he was looking at the other deer.

In slow motion, the buck stepped into the small shooting lane. I remember picking a spot on the buck and starting to pull the Great Northern Critter Gitter longbow back. The next thing I know, the woodden arrow, with a STOS broadhead is
sticking into the buck at the spot I was looking at, up to the white bannana flething.

The buck was running flat out instantly. He ran into the woods in the direction of the other deer. I could hear him running for about 120 yds then everything was quiet. I did not hear him crash like I thought I would. Were my eyes playing tricks on me? Was the shot not as good as it looked? Did he go down and I didn't hear him?

I finally came to my senses. I took an arrow out of my Arrowmaster Quiver and shot it in the quail habitat where the buck was standing. I climbed out of the tree as quiet as possible and headed back to the house. I called my bowhunting buddy and told him what happened. He has a female wirehaired dachshund that is just under 2 yrs old, born and bred to track deer.

It took us over an hour to get the dog, lights etc, before we got back to where I had shot the buck. We started the dog right where I had shot the arrow into the ground for a starting point. Within 20 yds that little wirehaired dachshund had the blood trail. At 60 yds we found th back half of the arrow. It looked good, however, the blood trail was not the best. The little dog was working her majic and at about 120 yds we found where it looked like the buck had laid down. There was quite of bit of blood but it was not good that the buck was not laying there dead. We stopped and discussed whether we should stop and come back in the morning. I said lets take the track another 30 yds and see what happens. We took the blood tail about 10 steps and buddy turns around and says congratulations! There is your buck. The shot was quartering away just a little. It took out both lungs but most of the blood stayed in the deer. He made it about 150 yds from where it shot him. What a great night! This is the best buck I have ever taken.  

I am going to send some photos to another member to see if he can post me them for me.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Here are the pics that fishone sent me to post. Nice Buck!!

--Charlie

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Beautiful buck!

Congrats!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior