3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: eerie halloween hunts anyone??  (Read 463 times)

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
eerie halloween hunts anyone??
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
well its getting that time of year when my favorite time to hunt is on halloween night.. there is just something kinda eerie and special about that night i seem to have alot of success  just wanted to know if anyone else has and eerie halloween hunting stories they want to share/

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: eerie halloween hunts anyone??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
One time about 8 years ago, I told my fiance(wife now) that I was going hunting. She said ok, rolled her eyes and smiled. As I walked out to my car, I heard an eerie "hello". Startled, I looked all over....no one was there.(6 Apartment complex)
Anyway, I get half way to my car and hear "wow". So I figure it is Halloween, someone is messing with me....
Just as I get to my car, a crow lands on it-on the roof and says, yes SAYS "Hello"....

Kinda flipped me out. Turns out the neighbors down the road had raised it, and from what they said they split the tongue so it could "talk".

As the a couple of years went by, we came to know the bird rather well...he would visit, steal cat food, hand out on our shoulders while we gardened...it was pretty cool. All I ever heard him say was hello and wow...otherwise he just whistled.

Oh yeah, I did go hunting that night and got a seven point buck..biggest with a bow so far.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Had one that turned out to be REALLY eerie... for the deer.

She heard a soft sound, felt the stick of a sharp thorn, although she was standing still, and trotted away uncertain of what happened.

She began to feel a bit dizzy and "woozy," then very tired.  As she laid down for the last time, her final thought was... this is EERIE!     :archer:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline J-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
The kids drive me eerily nuts wanting me to wear the ghillie while out trick or treatin with them; does that count?

I did have an eerie encounter halloween evening 2 yrs ago walking from my blind back to the truck. I'm slowing making my way along when I hear this extremely loud screeching making the hair rise on the back of my neck noise - never heard nothin like it - freaked me out; bow ready type noise let me tell ya.  I couldn't see it and couldn't see it and then out pops this raccoon across the loggin road in front of me carrying on.  I still can't believe that raccoon was making them noises.  It sounded ALOT BIGGER  :o )

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I spine shot a deer several years ago one halloween afternoon, the shot was long so i decided to get down and finish her. The second i shot her she raised up on her hind legs and stumbled right at me. Just as soon as her head went between my legs she stood up like a kangaroo and took me off my feet and i landed on top of her. A buddy of mine was 300yds from me and told me i sounded like a little girl screaming. When i landed on top of her she kicked me a few times in my leg and ripped my pants and put a huge bruise on my thigh. When i got through screaming i almost wet myself laughing so hard.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I hunted right next to an old cemetary on halloween night for a few years in a row. Kinda cool, but no one talked to me.
TommyBoy

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Scary for the deer, I usually do well on Halloween.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
A great day to be in the deer woods. Pre rut lots of activity.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Funny I was talking to my mailman and he has killed two large bucks in the last two years on Hallo's eve night. Get out before dark, its not safe, the woods have eyes and the corn has ears.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
Killed my best buck so far on Halloween.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
I met my wife at a Halloween party. I should have paid attention to the omen...

In case you see this, just kidding, darling.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
I'm usually busy handing out candy and running the fog machine.
  :scared:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Last year, I stayed a little later than I should while waiting for a group of does to move away from my stand so they wouldn't bust me.  As I was headed back to the truck in total darkness my flashlight died.  I was a little unnerved at this point.  as I silently slipped through the dark along the river I heard a crackle from above me.

That was when the trees above me went bezerk.  branches were falling and strange demonic beasts were soaring down from it all around me.

I imediately dove headlong into a brush pile while trying to nock an arrow to defend myself against the horde of satan that was about to strike me down.....

after a few seconds I heard some clucking, and realized that a group of roosting turkeys had been startled when I walked underneath them had decided to vacate.  I almost had a heart attack and then started laughing once I realized what had happened.

Offline David Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
It was a few days before Halloween.

I was sitting in my tree stand enjoying the morning, there was a subtle breeze blowing the birds were chirping and the squirrels were very active. All at once everything in the woods stopped...., it became very still…, nothing moved for about 30 seconds it even felt like time had stopped. It was a very unnerving feeling to say the least. Then just like that everything returned to normal.

When I got home in the evening I found out that my father in-law, who was ill for some time had past away at the same time the woods became eerily still.  

True Story

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
My most memorable bow hunt was on Halloween.

- I was 14, my parents dropped me off before sun up and I strapped a seat to a tree in a spot I usually caught does between bedding and feeding.  

It was cold, Real cold and about 10:00 am  I hadn't seen anything except a few does real early who were out of range.  I was bored and freezing cold so I decided to entertain myself with a grunt tube.  

I probably made every noise possible out of it. Kinda sounded like a dying cow and Bugling elk all in one which lasted minutes long.  Seconds later I heard crackling and crashing in the woods.  All of a sudden all I could see was antlers coming toward me quickly as the buck's head was to the ground.  

Mind you I am a 120 lb 14 year old kid and am on the ground with only a small popular tree to stand between us. moments Later I find myself staring down a Huge Wisconsin whitetail easily over 200lbs and much larger than myself.  His hair was standing on end and was looking for a fight.  

He was beautiful yet frightening.  

At 8 yards he stopped and looked away.  I was shaking so hard I tried to pull the bow back twice and couldn't get past a few inches.  Funny, I could practice for an hour with that bow.  Just then the buck looks at me struggling to pull the bow and takes off.  

All that remained was the Memory of the buck of a lifetime etched in my memory and the uncontrollable shakes for the next 4 hours as I retold the story to family and friends.  

For those of you who were wondering the buck scored 168.  thick heavy beautiful 8 point rack. The neighbor shot him during rifle season. His feet were like cow hooves.  

One of my best memories from childhood bow hunting!

Enjoy,(and don't forget about the best day to be in the woods)

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
great stories keep em comming