3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow tough  (Read 601 times)

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow tough
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
just got to thinking about this after posting on another topic. i just got my first longbow( bear montana) and got to thinking....has anyone ever twisted a longbow limb? just from looking at my montana, its limbs are so thick! along with that, what is the worst thing you have accidentally or purposely( not like that would happen) done to your longbow. i WAS always a metal riser recurve guy but this bow has changed my mind about needing a metal riser for toughness:)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow tough
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
You could throw that one out of the stand, and probably not damage it one bit!  That's why I love longbows.  My buddy Robert uses his to beat snakes to death with!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I was shooting my BRAND NEW ACS in the garage and my top limb hit the rail on the garage door so hard my wife heard it upstairs. It honestly sounded like a rifle went off but it didnt even put a scratch on the limb. It scared the %$#@ out of me.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I often throw my longbow out of the tree at the end of the days hunt.  Just climb down and retrieve it.  Recurve is another story.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
those are some tough bows! i really do enjoy just shooting this bow. its pretty plain but i thought about having the finish redone or maybe even a camo dip? out of curiousity, at one time didnt black widow offer refinishes to any trad bow in good shape. i ask that because i love how thick and durable their marine epoxy clear is.

Only thing i noticed that would be different(better) on a custom bow is under the leather grip, you can see the two lams joined. they're not really spliced together, just butted up against each other.....but hey i didnt expect perfection. either way the shur grip i put on really feels nice...not so worried about staining nice leather:)

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
I slammed mine in a cardoor the other day, put a dent in it, other than that its just fine.  :confused:

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Love shooting them, love making them.  Grinding out #15 right now.  Only ones I've "gone wrong" on were my own errors in the building... three of those.   Two I rescued and got good bows out of anyway.  The third one I just don't understand...  I put a tip wedge in backwards and had to cut the limb back 4".   Of course, had to do the same for the other limb.  I ended up with a 70# bow on a layup designed for 40#.  It actually shot for awhile.  I still can't understand why it broke   8^)

My first ones had butted joints like you observed.  Now I lap joint them real pretty.

As you noted, those narrow limbs are amazingly tough and forgiving.  I haven't had one that showed any twist.  Just make 'em and shoot 'em.

I've come to think that most of us way over think trying to shoot longbows (real longbows, not the R/D's).   I used to try to explain longbow shooting in great detail, but really, they're pretty simple.  Now I've boiled it down:

1.  Get a longbow.
2.  String it up, using traditional fistmele.
3.  Find an arrow that flies straight to your eye.
4.  Shoot the bow.  It'll tell you how it wants to be shot.  Listen to it.
5.  If after a few months you can't hit with it, accept that you're lacking the longbow gene and go back to a recurve.

Or, as Grandpa used to say:  "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.   Then quit.  Don't be a damn fool about it."

Sorry... I'm sitting here with my coffee and pipe and feeling a bit whimsical.....  But there's more truth in the above than not...
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
all very true,dick. they are so simple and a great stress relief. my wife says to me the other day" why dont you shoot the hoyt gamemaster, you have killed alot of stuff with it. that longbow looks just like a stick". i told her she wouldn't understand:)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
If you beat that Montana with a stick, you'd break the stick.  Longbows are tough by nature, and that fibreglass is particularly so.  Not a bad shooter either.  It's what got me into traditional.  Can't go too far wrong with a good longbow.
Silence is golden.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Well the brace height was wrong on my hybrid longbow and both limbs leaned hard to the left. I got the bowyer that built it to let me in on what was wrong and he straightened them right up with some twisting of the string. Then next day I was shooting and thought One limb still looked off and put a little pressure on my thigh with the limb and snap the limb split. I don't know if the string popped off or if I twisted the limb and it delaminated but I honestly didn't use any pressure at all. But yeah bad stuff can happen. Luckily the bowyer is a great guy and said he would build me a new one. Don't lean it in the corner cause you can twist your limbs always hang it up or lay it flat.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Well, my longbow was left on the roof of the truck once when I was leaving my hunting area after dark.  Had to drive back a half hour to find it laying  beside the gravel road.  

It's been dry fired at least a half dozen times for reasons ranging from too loose arrow nocks to cracked nocks or just some sort of screw up on my part.  

It was left resting across the bed of the truck in the driveway when I was practicing and forgotten due to a distraction with the family.  Then later I backed the truck up and when I stopped suddenly (because the wife was yelling something about my bow and pointing...) it fell off onto the cement driveway.  

It's been tossed up over creek banks and steep hills so I could climb with both hands.  It's been dropped out of trees intentionally and once by accident when I was sleepy.  

It's survived TWO crushed pvc cases when flying across country.

It's been leaned against trees, target butts and trucks only to be knocked over onto dirt, rocks, gravel etc.

It's been in hot cars for hours at a time and in sub zero temps on stand.

I NEVER use a stringer.  My draw is 32 inches and the bow is 66".  I've shot it tens of thousands of times.

I own about 15 or more recurves and almost never shoot anything but this one longbow.  It's definitely my "go to bow".
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
i have a BEAUTIFULL selfbow made by Mark Baker that (still can't believe!!) i set on the roof of my Jeep and then left for home. about 100 yards down the ole dirt road i hear something sliding on my roof and watch as my longbow hits mock10 and flys in front of me! got out, picked her up and none the worse for wear, couple scratches is all, one WELL MADE bow!!!!!!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
I dropped my Bamboo Longhunter out of the stand from about 18 feet. It landed on the end and popped the string completely off. I strung it back up and never had any problems at all.
Sam

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
wow guys!! all these stories and THEY lived to hunt again.

hey mr. bulla, the bow your speaking of...is it a montana? either way, that bow has to be bombproof!! i can only imagine what these instances would do to a recurve.

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Things not to do is strap to a mountain bike handlebars backward. I did this and snagged a tree limb as I was going down a mountain trail and it split the laminations apart   :knothead:    :banghead:  . Sent it back to the bowyer and he glued it back together and told me he could not guarantee it would hold. So I made it my carp hunting bow. After several thousands carp it still holding. But then I moved to Alaska and there are no carp up here.  :(

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
bmb, I told you it was a club!   :bigsmyl:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
guys...i think centuar has turned me into a longbow man:) thanks again for the club:)

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
Yeah the Montana is one tough bow and a great shooter, its what got me into this and benched the wheelie bow!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
bowhuntingfool- this bow is a great shooter. it is so easy to look at a spot and hit it. im a gap shooter with all my other bows( recurves) and im sure ill gap shoot with this bow, at further distances, but from 15 yards and closer...its simply, pick a spot, draw, and watch her fly. and on top of that im only pulling 48# and shooting some 550 gr. 2018s. im use to shooting 400-430grs. max out of my recurves. but my point on distance is pretty far out there....so to me it makes more hunting sense to have a arrow that has a point on of 25yrds. that way im not aiming a foot below the animal at 15yrds.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
I made a 60" d/r longbow (not naming the owner,nor was it me)
On a cold eve,it was laid on the truck hood in the dark whilst the rest of the gear was put away.

Out on the highway,a car was met after gaining full speed,the bow blew over the top of the truck,then was run over endways by the next car. Don't remember if the string came off or not,but man did it gouge the limb edges on the blacktop.

It was sanded a bit,edges refinished and hunted the rest of the season and maybe the next!!

I was amazed to say the least!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©