3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Medicine Bow hunt questions  (Read 379 times)

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Medicine Bow hunt questions
« on: September 28, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Hi all.  I'm in the very early stages of a possible hunt to the Medicine Bow area for 2010.  I know almost nothing at this point about draw tags, preference points and the like but would love to hear some general background about the area from those that have been there or live nearby.  As soon as I decide if it's the right area for my small group, I'll start researching the WY G&F site and possibly put in a call to the local conservation officer or biologist (I'm "in the business" and may get some cooperation from those gentlemen or ladies).  

I'd like to know generally how the elk/antelope and mule deer hunting is and would thoroughly appreciate any more specific info about units to apply for, draw rates, places to camp or stay, private lands where a reasonable trespass fee might be accepted, quality of the trout fishing, ease of access, land type (one of our party has bum knees and I'd like for him to be able to enjoy the trip as much as myself and my brother who aren't at all averse to "forced death marches"), etc. etc. etc..

Thanks in advance.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Medicine Bow hunt questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
what part of the Medicine bow are you looking to hunt. I live very close to the medicine bow national forest on the cheyenne side.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline shakey slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
hey not much usefull info to add but if you go to medicine bow ( the wide spot in road ) theres a fuel station that has has some really nice antelope heads on display .
 the girl working there says her dad got them all locally -------- happy hunting.
 may suggest getting info from blm guys to help with where to hunt
i never regretted a day in the woods/ a hippie taught me to hunt

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
I just read Ferret's post, and maybe you are looking at the Medicine Bow forest rather than around the town of Medicine Bow. Anyhow, around the town of Medicine Bow: Lots of antelope. The mule deer and elk are down somewhat as I understand it in the Shirley Rim/Shirley Mts area, but I haven't been down there for a couple of years to know first hand. There is a fair amount of land that is public in the Shirley area. You are not too far from the "Miracle Mile" of the N. Platte River in that area, which is blue ribbon fishing, but crowded by Wyoming standards. Have you considered the areas around Pathfinder Reservoir for antelope? Elk is a tough draw on Ferris Mt (area 22), but if you got lucky and drew, there are some big bulls. It is a very steep and unforgiving place, however. I used to hunt antelope area 63, which has lots of goats and lots of public land. You might consider that, as well.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Hunted there two years ago, about half way between Encampment and Baggs.  Fair number of elk and absolutely overrun with hunters, most of whom had 4-wheelers and used tghem extensively.  One even had a dune buggy.  I managed to kill a raghorn, but I would never go back there again.  Just too crowded for my tastes.  For example, I counted more than 20 camps on two three-mile stretches of logging roads which ran on parallel ridges about three miles apart flanking a small stream.  

Usually takes one prefererence point to draw in Wyoming, which now costs $50 and means a one-year wait) or you can pay their $400 extortion fee to slightly increase your odds of drawing the first time.  If memory serves, the standard elk license/application fee is around 550, which is refunded if you do not draw, and I think the success rate of being drawn is about 40% .  For another $400, i.e., about $950 total, you can get your application put in another pool in which the odds of drawing are usually higher,  closer to 60% most years depending on how many folks are willing to fork out the bigger money.  

Not terribly rough country. Did see a few mulies and deer sign, and a few antelope on private land from the road that went through it.

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick and useful info centaur.  Ferret, as for area, I truly don't know.  I didn't even realize that there WAS a town called Medicine Bow, I was referring to the national forest and I realize that it encompasses a million acres.  

I have to admit that I'm simply overwhelmed every time that I go into the Wyoming Game and Fish website....preference points, general tags, draw tags, landowner tags, elk units, deer units, antelope units, walk in areas, reduced price tags, etc. etc. etc..

Geez.  As I said, I'm open to suggestions but hope to find an area where there's public or very accessible private land, a fair chance for success on at least 2 big game species and a decent chance to draw.  At this point neither myself or my partners have any preference points.  I understand that you can purchase a point when you apply for the tags, which I'd be willing to do if necessary.

Thanks again.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Orion, thanks for the info.  If the place is overrun with hunters and especially hunters with 4 wheelers, I'm not interested.  I don't take well to that crap here in Pennsylvania and I'll be darned if I'm going to drive the whole way to Wyoming to deal with it.  Sounds nice otherwise though, it's just a shame that lazy hunters have to ruin things for everyone.  

As for the preference, I know that the deadline to apply for preference points is Sept 30th but I thought that you could also purchase one when you apply in January, am I correct in thinking that?

Thanks for the reply by the way.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
If you don't mind a few grizzly bears, you might look at the Dubois area (shoshone NF). Lots of elk and a good number of deer, but Mr. Griz will make your hunt more 'interesting'. Elk area 67/68 always has leftover archery elk tags. A lot of the land is wilderness, so a non resident would not be able to hunt in the wilderness unless you had a guide. But there is also plenty of multiple use national forest.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks centaur, that's what I'm looking for.  I don't mind Griz, I work with black bears all the time.  I know that they have different personalities but I'm not the type to freak the first time I see a bear.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
The preference point deadline of Sept. 30 is for this year, 2009.  If you apply for a tag next year you would then have one preference point going into the draw, giving you an advantage over someone who had no points.  You don't buy another point at the time of applying for the tag, but if you are unsuccessful in the draw you could then elect to have $50 deducted from your unsuccessful refund to earn your second preference point.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
OK, thanks Whip, that makes sense.  In general, would 2 preference points give you a good chance even in the better areas or is it a harder draw than that?  What about deer and antelope?  One point enough, two required?  More than that?  I'm learning on the fly but really enjoying it and already daydreaming about what it will be like.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline shakey slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
i don't think even the game and fish guys know the rules here ! way to many where to, ifs ,ands, buts. might as well have written the game laws in chinese!if you do go and get it figured out have fun and good hunting!   :thumbsup:
i never regretted a day in the woods/ a hippie taught me to hunt

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
My friend lives in Laramie.  He elk hunted alone a few years back with an old compound, hardly knowing what to do and managed a cow.  I think he generally hikes into canyon areas that are pretty tough for 4-wheelers and extremely far from the crowds.  Also the wilderness areas SHOULD be free of 4-wheelers... though I've found Wyoming to be full of folks that seems to break laws just for spite.

I think getting some distance between you and the road is necessary to avoid crowds anywhere you hunt... so don't know how the bum knees will work out.

I was there this summer for trout.  I can definitly help you there with some fantastic fishing, but most of the best spots include at least a few miles of "forced death marches" or big inclines.

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
Thanks Atomik.  The trout really interest me, though probably don't interest the other guys as much as the elk and/or deer.  As for the wilderness area, that's probably out because non-residents require a guide in the wilderness areas and I'd rather do this on my own (not to mention the money aspect).
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©