3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flashlight ?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Flashlight ?
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
What kind/make of flashlight do yall carry?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flashlight ?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
I just ordered a  Fenix TK20  on clearance from REI.  After looking through a lot of discussions on candlepower.com (mostly stuff that was over my head from a bunch of flashlight addicts) it seemed the best solution for me.  I never thought I'd spend $50 for a flashlight but I've tried several cheaper lights that didn't work as well as I'd like for night tracking.  I wanted something that used AA batteries so I only had to carry one kind for everything I have.  Coleman gas lanterns do the best job, for tracking I found, but they're a bit bulky to pack in.  I may have one in the truck if necessary but having a good flashlight on me for tracking seems like a good compromise.  I also have a cheap Rayovac headlamp with both red and white led lights for most uses.  Keeps hands free and batteries last more then one season.

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
I have tried many as most. I stumbled on the "Colman" 120 lumes, 3 bulbs red, green, and white. Real white lite, my sure fire is "yellow" compaired to it. Takes 3 AAA and cost $30. It's the best I have found for the $$$
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Ditto DesertDude.
I carry a surefire for work and self defense, but the batteries die quickly and without dimming. Just boom, out. Also, I've had to sell a kidney just to afford the batteries.

The coleman lamp puts out more light, cheaper batteries, burns through them two times slower, has red and green light too AND costs $100 less. Hmmmm....
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
From what I hear, the light that the Wensels sell it the best.  Very bright LED, with great battery life.  Any one have a link?  It's time I go buy one.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
google "brothers of the bow".  sold on their site.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
http://www.brothersofthebow.com/    there is a link up top just under the 3rivers ad in the sponsors list

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
I have a mini mag-lite that I have used for close to twenty years.  Adjustable beam with exra bulb.  Uses AAA batteries that seem to last for years...

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Yes, The "Mainbeam" from the BOTB website(Wensel Bro's) is by far the best out there....absolutely amazing for it's size and very versatile!

You won't regret spending the $$
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I have the Main Beam from the Wensels. I have to say it is the best light I've ever owned.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Main Beam from the Wensels, hands down the best out there.
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
cheaap energizer head lamp and a coast 6 bulb led, lights up bright and for a long time.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Mag lite, but mine dissapear every year and have to get a new one.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Main Beam from the Wensel's. I also have a Browning Xenon and a Petzl Tikita? headlamp. All good but the MB would be the one I'd go with.

Barry has a video on it's features on youtube.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Coast LED 65 lumens, AAA batts and last forever. Found mine at the home builders store for 40$.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by celticknot:
cheaap energizer head lamp and a coast 6 bulb led, lights up bright and for a long time.
I use that one also.  It has two spot lenses, two red, and two flood.  You can use the spot and flood at the same time for a lot more light.  It has great run time.  I have three.  One in the bow bag, one in the waterfowl blind bag, and one for around the house stuff and taking walks.  I use them for power outages for house lighting by setting them in key spots pointed at the ceiling.  They do a great job and I have run them for multiple nights all night long and still not run them down.  I have seen a lot of high end head lamps that don't work any better than these.

When I need more light for tracking or other uses I use one of these marketed under Ray-o-vac in your local store.  It is compact with a push button momentary on or turn in the end for full time on.  The run time is very good for the power source using rechargeable;  I have gotten 2-hours.  The light output is 3 Watt Luxeon LED at 80 lumens.  The light is a good white color that shows blood real well.  It throws a beam a long way out.  I love it and it was not that much to buy.  It puts out way more light than all the other flashlight I have seen so far that are this size running on AA's.  Continuous run time is not a real long time, but I only use is when I really need it in addition to the head lamp, and it last about all season that way.  The best part is it runs on AA batteries and I use rechargeable so it is easy to pack a couple extra sets along.  I never have to worry about finding batteries for it if I am away from home and only have a gas station or similar small store around.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Our Main Beam is being redesigned right now to range from 10 lumens up to 235 lumens with excellent battery life. Still smaller than a hot dog. The new ones won't be in for two weeks or so. Stay tuned.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gene Wensel:
Our Main Beam is being redesigned right now to range from 10 lumens up to 235 lumens with excellent battery life. Still smaller than a hot dog. The new ones won't be in for two weeks or so. Stay tuned.
Your current light looks so good it is hard to imagine improvements, and your battery prices make it very affordable to operate.  Looks like a great light and value to me.  Do you have a price set on the new light?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
i just got a led lenser h7 and it is the best headlamp for the money i have seen. easily better than my old 4 D-cell mushing light.
runs on 3 AAA's, focusable beam and a separate dimmer switch.
never have figured why anyone would use a handheld light after using headlamps.
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
I use a mini mag light. They are fairly inexpensive and its easy to find and buy a new one when I misplace one. There are better lights out there for sure, but I don't mind having to replace these when I lose them. Where the heck did I leave the last one anyway? It is probably in the woods somewhere.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©