3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flashlight ?  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flashlight ?
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
I have a lot of lights and those Fenix (aka Main Beam) lights look cool, but frankly, if I had to bet my skin on a flash light, I'd grab my old OD Army Fulton.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
All this talk of Mag Lights reminds me....I have an old 8Dcell Mag Light I carried when I was an MP. I'm suprised I didn't kill somebody with that thing. I threw it at a guy running away once, and it damn near broke him in half. It was one heck of a durable flashlight.

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
2 weeks and 6 pages...........

Howard, You ought to ask those Wensel boys just to send you one for all the free publicity.   :bigsmyl:  

:bigsmyl:
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Warren Cowen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I hope all you hunters are right about the Main Beam light. I will find out. Just order my today.
Warren Cowen

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
I just returned from ShrewHaven, where I used my Mainbeam extensively for 9 days and nights. 4 bloodtrails, constant use at night while feeding the woodstove, in and out of the woods every day, and I am still on the same batteries.

The super bright mode is excellent for scanning the woods whil doing a grid search at night.

I also used the super bright mode to help a friend out of the woods. I could see he was coming down the ridge at the wrong angle, and he was going to miss the trail he needed by a wide margin (in the UP, that could mean miles of stumbling around). I spotlighted the correct trail from about 50 yards away, and he adjusted his descent.

Absolutely the best light I have ever owned.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
Anybody know if the new Main Beam is being sold yet, the one mentioned by Gene earlier in this thread ? Im planning to order, but was going to hold out for the newer version. Thanks, Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by DJTJR:
nothing is better than a surefire.  they have something in any configuration you could want and bombproof.
I thought the same thing until I used Barry's light @ pig & gig last year. No comparison, Main Beam is head and shoulders above anything I've owned from surefire (6 models at our house).

However, my Coast H7 headlamp suits me better most of the time: 3watt led, focus adjustable beam, adjustable dimmer, up to 140 lumens, 3 AAA batteries, $50 online. I do always keep my Main Beam in my pack in case I need it's greater light output (like in tracking).
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by champ38:
Anybody know if the new Main Beam is being sold yet, the one mentioned by Gene earlier in this thread ? Im planning to order, but was going to hold out for the newer version. Thanks, Shane
me too,  i am ready to order,  is there much of a difference from the old to the new
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Main Beam here as well.
Used it all last season, as an emergency lite in the vehicle and for 3 weeks this season. Still on the same batteries!!

Steve

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
15$ energizer headlamp one main beam real bright goes real far 2 white LEDS 2 RED LEDS love it got it at walmart.  :thumbsup:
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
There may be more than this, but I think the "High" output mode on the new version is 15 lumens higher (235 v 220).

I'm well satisfied with the current version, and find I RARELY need the full power.

These are terrific little lights!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
JC, the boys have a headband strap for the MainBeam for $5 or something like that.  I've got a couple other headlamps, but that does make it pretty handy.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
7 pages on flashlights.  I'm still wondering why this isn't off topic.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
I use it for bowhunting....  :rolleyes:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »
Green, don't spook what your hunten!!

Offline cheech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »
any of the led lenser lights i have 3 of them they are a little pricey but you will not regret it 120-170 lumens they are like daylight and the batterys last a fair while as well

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Because it's a bowhunting tool and the discussion has stayed on lights used while bowhunting.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
George - I was about 1/2 skeptical, but I bought one anyway. After using it extensively, it is a permanent addition to my bowhunting possibles bag. I have a plethora of lights...from Maglights to Surefires, and everything in between. The Wensel Brothers wouldn't know me in a crowd of one, so I'm not honking for a friend here....this is the best flashlight I have ever used for hunting, especially bloodtrailing.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
Traded for one with another tradganger this week and tested it last night..... No comparison! Even against a Streamlight Scorpion which has a 80 lumen beam that can be focused. The Scorpions light as bright and white as we thought it was looked a little yellow compared to the Main beam. Both lighta take two 123 batteries and the Scorpion only lasts 2 hrs tops. I am sold on the Main Beam. Could I get by with a light half the cost, yes.... Do I want to now that I have a light that can go from 12 lumens to 220 with the flick of a switch, is 4" long X 3/4" diameter and averages 12 hrs of battery life... NO !!!

nocams  :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
After the shot...I wanna have 3 things on me.

Flashlight
Tag
Knife

without a good flashlight I might not get to use the other 2 items.

I hunt afternoons, and there is no leaving game till the next morning due to coyotes. I want the best light I can get.  The Fenix PD30 rocks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©