3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on KME BH sharpeners  (Read 458 times)

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
Question on KME BH sharpeners
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I know Ron would willingly talk with me, but you guys may be able to answer my question without me taking up his time tomorrow.

I received my KME BH sharpener in the mail today and was wondering if the angle that it hold the BH to the stone is adjustable?  I guess I'm asking if you can "loosen" the two set screws that hold the roller to the body of KME and move the roller back to create a more acute bevel.

Make sense?    :confused:

Really don't want to bugger something up on it before I even get to try it out.
Micah 6:8

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on KME BH sharpeners
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I have a friend who drilled and tapped new holes to get a lower angle and it worked great.

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Just remember when you lower the angle you increase the opportunity for the jaw to contact the stone.  And IMHO for most BH grades of steel produce an edge that will most likely roll on impact.  Try it the way it is.  I just finished up a half dozen Ace's about 30 minutes ago.  No hair on my arm....

Don't forget to strop them....
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
"drilled and tapped"...that's what I was afraid of.  

That's fine, I'll use it as is....but I'm a OCD about sharpening things and simply wondered "if".

I agree Scarne...most BH are soft enough a real acute bevel isn't going to gain you much.

Thanks guys.
Micah 6:8

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
KME is designed so that you actually have 2 angles on the blade, thus forming a "tanto" edge of sort. the first angle, the one from factory closer to the ferrule, is lower, while the one created by the KME, is higher.
that makes for very strong, but still razor-sharp edge

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
I rolled mine on a wide mill file to file the broadhead edge to match the angle of the KME sharpener, then went to the stones and strop.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pegen:
KME is designed so that you actually have 2 angles on the blade, thus forming a "tanto" edge of sort. the first angle, the one from factory closer to the ferrule, is lower, while the one created by the KME, is higher.
that makes for very strong, but still razor-sharp edge
Exactly correct Pete.  :thumbsup:  Couldn't have said it much better than that myself.

I know of a few people who have drilled new holes to get a lower angle though. Soilarch, if you decide to move the roller/bracket back, be careful with the screws. They're SS but only 4-40 thread and you can snap the heads off them pretty easy. The pilot hole drill is a machinist number drill (#37 or #38) can't remember which at the moment but it's .101 or .102. Let me know how you make out or if you have any other questions. Thanks,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
This seems an appropriate thread to post the problem I was having with the sharpener. I just could not get a sharp edge on any of my BH and instead of calling Ron I but the jig aside and went back to my old way of sharpening.  

Last week I decided to give it another try. Figuring I had been doing something wrong I inspected the sharpener and sure enough the error of my ways were obvious. How I missed it before I will never know. I have to say I was consistent and it was all user error.    :knothead:

One quick look showed I had not been putting my BHs far enough up into the jaws and I had been grinding the jaw end closest to the tip down not allowing the entire length of the blades to sharpen correctly  :banghead:  

After a quick test on a single BH with superior results I have resharpened all of my BH and could not be happier.  I now check clearance every single time before starting the process and plan to mark the jaws.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline mountain trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Ron spent 45 minutes on the phone with me tonight walking me through it (and talking a little hunting) and wow, like some one else said...no hair on my arm!  Ron, thank you!  You couldn't ask for better service!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
No surprise reading this thread.  

Ron is the definition of "Customer Service".  Truth be told, he once even spent a significant amount of time helping me using a sharpener made by the competition - can you believe that?  Yes, I now have his products, and get this, he kept telling me when I ordered it that I didn't need his system..... I told him he truly earned my respect, and my purchase.

You just don't find many like him.

Oh, the sharpeners he has are excellent too!

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©