3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last weeks adventure in central Nebraska  (Read 807 times)

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
Last weeks adventure in central Nebraska
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
My father and I spent from the 19th to the 27th in central Nebraska. Had a great time. The weather didn't always cooperate. Had rain most days and nights through out the week. Did have some nice sunny days. Here are some pics of the scenery.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last weeks adventure in central Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
A couple of the days were real foggy in the morning. Made for some hard spotting.

Although it made for some good pics.

Here are some pics from different setups.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Here is a pic of my blind set up on some grass growing around water tanks that had some deer tracks. I sat here once. Dad had seen a few deer come in earlier in the week right before dark.

Here is a pic of my dad's blind setup for antelope.

He passed on a couple of smaller bucks early in the week and regreted it afterwards. We had saw some bigger bucks and was hopeing for one of them. I wish i would have been able to get some pics of the antelope and deer we saw but most were too far away for pics. If I was close enough to a deer I had other things on my mind than taking pictures.
The deer and antelope sure like the mineral left for cattle but most were visited during the night.

I did manage to rescue a turtle from comitting suiside on the road. Almost ran him over. Set him off the side. Hope he appreciated it.

A few more pics to finish it out.

And the grand finally.

Thanks for tagging along. Hope you enjoy.
Eric

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
Almost forgot. Although neither of us filled a tag last week we did have opportunities. As stated earlier dad had passed on 2 smaller antelope bucks and had 2 more come in later in the week. Only got a shot off at one and miss judged the distance. Clean miss. I had a miss on a turkey and almost had a nice 8 point whitetail. Watched him for 10-15 minutes brousing around within 25 yards but never offered a shot. Finally got to about 12 yards and about to walk into an opening. I thought his head was behind a tree but must have caught just enough of me drawing my bow back to snort and head for the high hills. Still got plenty of time to fill tags so a little disappointing but exciting to be that close to a nice buck on the ground for that long.
Eric

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
Great pics Eric! What a difference western Nebraska is to our neck of the woods!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I know. We love it out there. Try to go for a week every year.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Great pics Eric, Last week I threw a tent up out in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. No human noise anywhere, no lights anywhere to take away from the stars, The only thing I hear are the screech owls and coyotes, or a deer that will snort at you, and them stars seem to just come right down on you, Its great.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Thanks Dan. It's amazing how many stars there are. Last weekend with new moon really let you see how many there are. Of course being in Bessey Park you have the constant scream of ATV all day and into the night. I have never seen so many out there before.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
Aw the Sandhills miss that area. Looks like the Halsey area or maybe south of Valentine.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Benbow you are correct. Bessey National Forest

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Hey great pictures and story. Wish I could be in any of those pictures myself! Beautiful country.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Looks familiar Eric! We were there wed thru sat am.

We had a blast also,only thing lacking was phone signal,tried to call ya a couple times,nothin!!

4wheelers do suck a bit if you are hunting! We heard em every day!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Have enjoyed the NE bowhunters Jamboree there a couple of time. Went scouting for antelope one year & backpacked in. Got about a mile in when I notice one mean looking storm coming. I quick set up my tent and watched funnels going up an down from the wall cloud. When it hit the only thing that kept the tent on the ground was my fat body. When I hiked out the next day I saw the imprints of golf ball size hail in the sand. Glad that didn't hit me.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
Hey Kenny the only phones that work out there have a long string and a couple of cans. Any luck?

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
No phones, and no radio stations come in either. Isn,t it great.

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Hey Eric, really cool photos man. Good that you and your dad still get out, wish my dad still had it in him. I really miss hunting with my dad. I haven't even gotten out yet so maybe this weekend!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks man. I'm headin up your way this weekend. Probably going to check out Pilger see what going on up there. Be at parents house Fri-Sat night. Time to play, you been working to hard!

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
That's a pretty area.  For you non-Nebraskans, that is also where the Nebraska Bowhunters Association holds its annual summer Jamboree the first weekend in August.  Neat place.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I've killed several deer there, both mulies and WT.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing those!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©