3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it better at 40?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Is it better at 40?
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Today is the day, 40.  Used to think I wouldn't make to 40, then I thought I'd live to be 100.  Now, just thankful for each day.  But tell me, you middle aged and up arra-slingers, does it get better from here on out?   :pray:     :D    :D    :D  

Stan

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it better at 40?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
NO !!!!!!

Just kidding, it's all how look you at life. My early 40's were some of hte best years of my life.

I'm almost 48 and I can still do everything I did years ago except I have to plan them now.

Be careful shooting and hunting though because you won't heal as quick.

enjoy, shooot till you drop LOL
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
No At 40 I was still shooting 75# longbow and at 67 I'm down to 50#. I’m suffering from gravitational pull. My chest is now right above my belt, the hair on my head is gone and is coming out my ears and nose. The answer is No.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm soon to be 52! I can't say it's getting better! I take Ibuprofen routinely for the aches that just don't want to stay away, and go out anyway!

Sorry I couldn't give you better news! Atleast that's how it is for me.   ;)  

Good luck! Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Good Luck this year....and the next!

Offline David Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Happy Birthday!!
NO!   :D  
I'll be 46 in a month. Never had shoulder problems until this past summer, could only shoot 40 or 50 arrows then I had to stop from the pain. I see an sports doctor today, hopefully he can fix the problem after hunting season. But that's just me, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who can shoot for a long long time without any injuries.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
I forgot, I'll have to ask my 2 kids.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
40's  and 50's are pretty great, really.  With care you're still healthy and have strength to do the things you want.  You've acquired some wisdom to know the things you shouldn't do.  You're still in earning years and can afford to do some stuff.  Later's still good, but you have to pace it to your health, strength and finances.  You slow down, but maybe enjoy it more, less intense, more time to appreciate the journey as well as the trip.  Even so, life can still throw you some surprises if you stay open to trying.  I'm 71 and going on my first bow hunt next month, for hogs.  Probably crazy, but I feel like I did when I was 30... just move slower  8^)
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Anyone who thinks getting old is bad, is not aware that there is only one alternative.  I think getting old is pretty cool.  I wish my Mom and Dad would have had the opportunity.

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
My Grandmother said if someone had a 20s body, 40s brain, and 80s wisdom all at the same time they would be un-stoppable.

I'm 48.  Physically it is starting to get significantly harder in a physical sense & doesn't seem like it is going to start getting any easier.  The part that is better is just enjoying nature more.  Two decades ago a day seeing no deer was a bad day. Couple years ago on a hunt with no deer in sight I saw & heard two pileated woodpeckers doing their own individual species calls and imatating crows, turkies, blue-jays, and other birds in what I would describe as a "sing-off".  One of my best days hunting.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I'm 45 on Friday.  I've never been happier in my life than i am now.

I had a very bad heart as a child due to a breach birth and didn't actually expect to get to 18.  But miraculously my heart got better at 15 and every year's been an absolute bonus for me since then.  I'm still amazed that i'm still alive.

Sure i've got my aches and pains.  And after pulling my rotator cuff fairly badly in February i've now learned that my body isn't as young as it was.  But mentally i'm fitter now than i ever was.

I have a belief that by the time we're 40 life has taught us everything we need to know to get through the rest of our years.  So embrace your 40's and just get on with life knowing that you've done the hardest part, all the mistakes of youth, you've learned all the lessons you needed to learn and now it's time to enjoy life to the full.

Happy Birthday!

Stan

:clapper:
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I describe it as "different than I ever expected", but considering the alternatives (so plainly put by George), I'll take it.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Man you are oooooold!!  :wavey:  Happy bithday!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Hey Stan,

Good to see you posting again.

Well being forty has been just like being twenty, with the addition of a bigger waist, smaller hairline and nifty bifocals. Whatever you do don't break any bones.

Welcome to the club, hey you could do a lot worse.

Sean

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
I will say YES it is better... I will turn 42 in November.

I am a much BETTER bowhunter today than I was at 20 years old.  I pay attention to the small details, think and PLAN better and am PATIENT!!

Alot of it has to do with experience.  

Eat right, stay in good enough shape.  Something Too Short wrote in a thread years ago still haunts me today. He said that the thought of getting too old to draw a hunting bow scared him the most.  I had honestly never thought about it until that day.  

Stay in shape.  I hope to have 30+ more years to live the "life" of a bowhunter.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Wait till you hit 50 Stan, I turned 50 in March and have to say I wouldnt trade it. I am in better physical condition as well as mental than when I was 40, mainly started to take better care of both. Happy Birthday

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Happy birthday Bro, I'm soon to turn 51, my 40s were the best years of my life< embrase them, take what you have learned and apply them now, but never stop learning for tomorrow! take better care of your health, stock up on ibuprofen and you'll be all set for the 50s! yes, you may slow down abit but that is a good thing when your out hunting!! The aches and pains are just a reminder of things we have learned the hard way to get this far!!  Enjoy!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Happy birthday...Yesterday was my 43rd b-day and I still feel the same as I did 2 days ago at 42   :D   .....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks to each of you   :thumbsup:   Truth be told, I've got my health, my family and a job that I enjoy.  No complaints here.  Looking forward to another 40 years in the woods!

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
At 49 I can honestly say that the 40's haven't been bad at all!!!!!  :archer:

Can't say what the 50's will bring..... guess I'll have to wait till next year.....   ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©