3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it better at 40?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it better at 40?
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
At 57 I can say the golden years are not what they were cracked up to be ,but make the best of each day ,take care of yourself and enjoy, you never know when things can change, and not for the better.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
1st, Happy B-Day!

Stan, I turned 41 in July and I'm still playing as hard as I did when I was twenty. 'Course, being full time Military helps but, I hunt just as hard, ride my Harley just as hard and love my family even harder! Good luck to you in your future endeavors and may you find peace and satisfaction at the end of each days trail.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Happy Birthday Stan,

Like Ted, I turned 50 this year and I'm looking forward to a much better next ten years than my last.  As some have said, take care of the important things.

Stick close to God, family and friends, and take care of your health.  Oh, and make sure you get out and do the things you've always dreamed of.

No one I know of looks back and regrets the things they did, only those they didn't...

Blessings!  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Im 42 and when i was younger it was all about the kill, now with all the stress of life i just enjoy being in the woods.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline larryh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
i'll be 75 in november. pretty much still do the same things i did when i was fourty with the exception of dexterity with my hands. heal really fast too.
i still change a mile of 40', 3" handlines all summer and can still ride a rank horse and get my cow work done.
someone asked me the other day if i had lived in the ahtanum all my life. i plagerized someone and answered, "not yet!!"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Bowhunting and fishing do...not sure about the sex part though...have to ask Ciccone about the last one....  :scared:    :saywhat:    :eek:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
I'm 48 I do everything I did at 30 just takes me longer and it hurts more. I wont stop I am in physical therapy I see people everyday that quit let me tell you they are in worse shape than I am.
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Naw, it really doesn't start getting better til 50.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
The Good Life started for me when I turned 40. Put roots down and married a wonderful woman. Now that I am 53 it seems things get done a bit slower but my health is good. Hunting is a special part of my life although it takes a back seat to things at home.

Someone once said, "Wisdom is the difference between knowing and doing." Keep the home fires burning and go hunting with the well wishes of your partner. Works for me.

... mike ...

PS... Love Ya Skipper!  :p
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm 59 and have underwear thats 40! My biggest concern is doing all the things I want to do while I still can.I'm very fortunate and my health is good. My mind still thinks I'm 30. Hell my oldest adult(some call them kids but mine are too old to be kids) will be 40 soon! Enjoy life while we're young we won't be old for several decades!  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
I'm 62; the mountains have gotten a bit steeper than they were in my 40s, but now I'm retired and can hunt or fish whenever I want to. Took the day off today from hunting, went fishing instead. Life is good!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Age all depends on how you maintain your body. Diet and keep active, keep calories under 2000 a day, lots of veggies, lots of fruit, and limit your time on the couch to 2 hours a day.  Alcohol and tobacco; avoid it like the plague and limit dairy products.  If you have a sit-down job, make every excuse you can and get up and move.

I turned 42 in July, and 2 nights ago I went for a 7.2 mile jog.  I'm wearing the same size I did when I was 25.  So I've not really noticed a difference from how I felt in high school (much less hair though).

-Mike
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
40, in a very few years reading glasses come into play.  Now that can be a pain.  Still chasing elk at 58+.  Life is still very good. Don't seem to be much wiser, I hope that comes on fast.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Uhhh...what was the question again?   :saywhat:

Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
At 40 there was still no mountain too steep or valley too deep ... my 40's where great hunting years. I turned 61 a few weeks ago and went on a hike close to Mt Rainier to celebrate. It's the Norse Peak / Goat Lake trail near Crystal Mt ski area. When I was 40 I could hike the 2.7 miles and 2300 foot evelvation gain in 45 minutes. At 61 it took me an hour and 45 minutes. The good news was I saw 21 Mt Goats ... keep active, take care of your self, and accept your new limits as you age. I now hunt from tree stands more, carry less weight in my pack, shoot a lighter bow, but I'm still lovin it. I enjoy the hunt more and the killing less than I did in my 40's but I still love eating game meat. Tonight it's venison spagettii     :jumper:  

Good health to all and be safe ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Davo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Getting old is a lot better than getting fatter.  I am fairly successful at both.  I hate when that happens.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."  The Duke

Offline Double Tee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I turn 60 soon,wanna trade??? I still git around purty good! Hang in there Stan,take care,stay active.People that just sit around seem to go down first or so it seems?
John

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I'll turn 49 Wednesday (Tommorow) still love to hunt.  
But the bed feels mighty good on those cold frosty mornings.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
58 two days ago and am going mighty slow like uncle Joe at the junction, petty coat junction. The slower I go the more I see.

Offline JWD in VA.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Will turn 57 this winter, working on concrete floors all my working days has taken its toll. Yeah, the mtns are a bit steeper and the haul back a little harder, but, I still feel pretty good given my time on this planet. Never did climb trees and that holds true today, if I fall, it's only gonna be about 9" from my stool. Lookin forward to this season, new bow, 50#, still got my wind and on a good day , they still call me Jerry. Gettin old is not for wimps, but the alternative is not worth mentioning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©