3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming, an Antelope adventure and "out west" learning experience  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming, an Antelope adventure and "out west" learning experience
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
10 months ago I put together a "budget" hunt and it was to be my first trip out of state hunting and my first trip out west. The first thing I learned about budget hunts is, you'll probably blow the budget unless you have everything you need and you buy a lot of stuff you won't need.

Tim, Kevin and I set out from Michigan on a 20 something hour drive to Wyoming to chase Antelope we had public land to hunt and one ranch to try. When doing a 20 hour drive you learn everything gets more funny the farther into the trip you get, and South Dakota has to be the LONGEST state to drive through!! But we made it with no issues and soon found ourselves on a ranch with quite the "colorful" rancher. Kevin managed to put down a great Antelope on the first day and we saw more animals than we thought was possible.

Antelope seem almost out of place like something that belong in Africa, but you soon get use to them and stop slamming on the brakes every 20 yards with binos and cameras hanging out the truck windows. I can't say the same for Mulie bucks though, I'd gladly get yelled at for holding up traffic to glass them.   :D  

I learned quite a bit about wind and arrow flight, as I missed one antelope buck due to a 30-40mph "breeze". I also had one hit that was terrible due to the antelope either catching me moving or just jumping the string it seemed to me they are much more skittish in the wind then a whitetail or mulie. I watched as I wounded a nice buck, which after looking for a full day went unrecovered. (Much thanks to Tim and Kevin, who hiked their butts off helping me look) I spent some time in camp shooting and getting in tune with the wind.

The next day I managed to get a clean 17 yard shot at a nice Antelope as he came through a gate. Quartering away my 51# Selway Lil Magnum pushed a CE150 with a Abowyer "bonehead" through him entering behind the ribs taking out his liver and everything in it's path, upon exit it sliced the front leg bone almost in half! My buck expired in a few second and 58 yards from the spot I shot him.
I was a little nervous shooting a single bevel broadhead and not getting a decent blood trail but my fear was put at ease with the path I had!

I spend a few days hiking public land, found a nice mulie shed (a prize to me!) almost had a shot at a mulie doe, and throughly enjoyed learning to spot and stalk in areas with almost no cover.  

I can't thank my buds enough for putting up with me that long, and those that helped and gave advice!

Wyoming is a beautiful state, and I think those Mulies got in my blood and I'll be back!

KME sharpened Abowyer Bonehead did the job!

Wandering in the Bighorns, at least at the elevations my lungs and legs could handle.   :eek:  

Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming, an Antelope adventure and "out west" learning experience
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
That's awesome!  Congrats and nice pictures.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Man what a riot it was spending time with great friends hunting out of state.  Like Drew this was my first out of state and hunt my first time west of Chicago.  It is like a whole nother world out there and one that I will be back to visit as soon as I can.  

I was the only one of the 3 of us that came home empty handed.  But the company and the experience more than made up for that.  I took more pictures while out there then I ever thought possible.  My first night in the blind when I had a animal working my way I reached for the camera instead of the bow.  I learned the hard way that an antelope at 60 yards can hear the shutter on my camera!!  But I would not have changed a thing.  

I will try and make work of getting some of my pictures loaded and posted here.  Thanks again Drew and Kevin for the awesome company for the week.  I dont think I could have had better guys to spend the week with.  I am looking forward to deer camp in a little more than a week.  Also thanks to Pat Estes for the help with the area and everybody else I bounced questions off of for the last few months.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Fantastic.  I'm trying to set up my first western hunt (probably to Wyoming) for 2010 and I really appreciate these threads and your thoughts.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
awesome stuff man.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Good stuff!!! I love huntin those dudes!!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Great stuff guys, looking forward to the pics.  Would've been sweeter to hear that you scored Tim  :banghead:  
You'll have a couple of months to get it done on a whitetail....
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Ah you know how it goes Dave.  Just couldnt get in the right spot at the right time!!

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Sweet pics Drew,, Nice buck too.. Congrats buddy,,JB
TGMM

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
JB- yup Tim is a good photographer he had to almost eat alfalfa to get the hero pic!

ganggreen, get some great optics you'll need them!
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
Anything for you Drew!!   :thumbsup:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Great picture...Congratulations that's a great buck!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Beautiful pics!  Congratulations on the buck Drew - antelope are hands down the most beautiful animals in North America!  
Sounds like you fellows had a heck of a great trip  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Hey Drew and Tim,
A lot of those pictures look pretty familiar! Glad you guys had a good time. Come back and spend some more of that Michigan money in Wyoming!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Wow...awesome pictures and stories. I'm trying to line up some hunt ideas for next year. Was planning antelope again for 2011 cause I hope to have a special bow by then but now your wetting my appetite.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Pat, thanks again for all of your help with the area.  Sorry we didnt get to spend more time with you while we were out there.  I will be back out there hopefully sooner than later.  Take care and go get that elk!!   :thumbsup:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
WOW Fantastic guys...

Those are fantastic photos and sounds like a great hunt.. Next year I'll be thumbing along in MN, Pick me up...

Sounds like you three amigos had a ball...

:wavey:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©