3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how often do you not see any deer at all?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how often do you not see any deer at all?
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Lots of good honest feed back here. I say it's all relative to where you hunt. Here in WV some places if I don't see 20 deer a outing its a slow day. Other places here in WV if I see 2 deer a day it's not unusual. Then I go to North Eastern Ohio to hunt and there's diffenently not the deer dinsesty there I may go two days without seeing a deer but when I do!

If I'm at a total loss at what the deer are doing in my neck of the woods I'll take a walk in prime time just to see where I bump deer. You can bet I'll dissect the area where I bump deer. You'll probably see me hunting there if I've got permission.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline red44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
We have deer here, but still, at times I can go weeks without seeing one. I've only been skunked once in the past several years. Hang in there, if your seeing fresh sign around, it's just a matter of timing. Don't be afraid to try something or somewhere different either. You never know, and it helps mentally just to change it up.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I have hunted three hours every evening since September 19th. I have sole permission to hunt a great parcel of private land. I have seen deer on four of the nights. Only one within bow range. THis is pretty typical for my area.

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
thanks for the input everyone. I think I've just got  a lot to learn. I don't have much choice in where I hunt though. I've only got about 80 acres close enough for me to be at fairly regularly and most of it is too thick to get through. I did find a white oak dropping acorns with four persimmon trees full of fruit around it. There are trails all around that area. I've only been there once so far and it poored rain. Do deer move in the rain much?
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
If I just wanted to see "deer"....I could hunt places and fill that bill.  With 2 already in the freezer....I'm hunting spots that I'll hopefully either see a buck....or nothing.  Actually......nothing (until the pre-rut) is better than seeing does.

I've been out 19 times.  I've seen deer on 7 of those sits.  That's "par".  If I wanted to just see "deer", though....I'm betting I could sit in spots and see them "almost" every sit.

I wish you a ton of luck this year.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I have 3 distinctly different spots....close to my house, is a smallish spot where I often see nothing, but when I do, it's most often a decent buck. A little farther north, my Uncles property, I ALWAYS see something, but rarely is it a "good" buck. At ShrewHaven, I always see deer, and it could be anything....small buck, big buck, or a whole squad of does.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
If you only have 80 acres to hunt ya got to careful how you hunt it. If you keep spooking them or leaving tons of scent tramping around your not gona see alot of deer except on your trail cam with night pics. If your seeing lots of sign with white oaks and persimmon trees with fruit hunt it smart and you'll see some deer and hopefully kill some deer there. Sounds like you've got a good spot just gotta play your cards right.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline CanArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I'm in the same situation. I can't put my foot down without it landing on a bed, trail or track. I have yet to see a deer though, even after hours of sitting rock still.
Regards,
James

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
The more you are out there the better your chances of seeing something. For me: if I would have put more time into scouting my chances would be much greater but I don't. I just enjoy my time afield waiting for something to come by, play the wind, Eventually persistance pays.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Think about the wind....if you are seeing lots of sign, but no deer, you may be playing the wind wrong.

OR, your spot may be one of thos transitional places. Deer may pass through there at night, or only under certain circumstances. The place near my home where I see few deer but big bucks; it's very narrow, and deer just pass through to get to a green field about 1/2 mile away. If they aren't feeding in that field, no deer. If the wind is out of the east in the morning, no deer. If it's out of the west in the evening (which is normal), no deer.

My point is, some places have tons of sign, but few sightings...there is always a reason.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
I did find a white oak dropping acorns with four persimmon trees full of fruit around it.  
DING DING DING DING DING. There you have it. BTW....deer do move in the rain, especially after taking a broadhead through the boiler. I love hunting in the rain, but refuse to risk losing a bloodtrail to the rain.
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Hunt near a food source on the downwind side of a bedding area, if possible. Sounds like you have a good spot with acorns and persimmons if the wind works for that location. Deer move better in pretty weather than rain...just after a rain is good. High pressure is better than low pressure... with eight y acres you outta be able to have more than one stand location that way you don't overhunt one location...
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2009, 05:56:00 AM »
You're getting tons of good advice.  The other thing that I'd do, which I don't believe has been mentioned yet, would be to pay very close attention to that area that's "too thick to get through".  You're trying to set up a 10 or 15 yard shot, not trying to see deer at 100 to 200 yards, so don't avoid the thickets.  Keep in mind though that you probably don't want to be hunting right in their bedroom.  Most decent bucks shy away from open areas (other than during the rut) and will use these thickets as travel areas.  It'd be far better to see one good buck deep inside that thicket than to see 3 or 4 does and fawns at 50 yards out in the open, right?
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
I got to say I agree I think it depends on the place you hunt, pressure and the amount of deer in that area. I also agree with LC overhunting a place is a sure way to not see anything quick.  I don't know that I would say that someone is a liar cuzz they say they see a bunch of deer.  I don't know your area but surely you can pick up another place or two to bow hunt, just don't be afraid to ask.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
This past week, on new ground I was at 30%. I have seen around 10 -12 deer on my fields at one time, but not often. Generally speaking, if I see that many deer feeding on the field I do not see any big bucks. There is probably one around but I don't see them during legal hunting hours. Our better bucks have been taken when we are seeing fewer deer. Are we hunting harder or are the bigger bucks travelling more looking for does? Maybe both.
Keep at it,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Will deer stay away if I have to cross their trail to get to my blind?
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
I think it depends on the deer bud.  I have watched deer track where I walked to another stand I had set up earlier that day while I was in another stand.  I have had does get down wind of me and actually come looking for me which was a big mistake for that deer.  Maybe it depends on pressure.  I know one thing animals are individuals and they never all do the same thing always.  Having said that I do everything I can to stay away from where I think a deer will be coming in

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Went out yesterday saw nothing. Today went out at the same time travelled the same paths and saw 5 deer.
Learn your woods, be persistent and don't get frustrated. If nothing else, take a cople of Judo's and shoot at squirrels. Tough little buggers to hit but lots of fun practice.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
You have had some great advice.  Where I live it might be one deer through 3 months of seasons.  It might be more.  Your white oak and perssmon spot sounds great if you can get to it without going through the bedding area or being upwind of the thick stuff they are probably spending the day in. Don't go to that spot if yo think the wind is wrong.  Most of my archery stands are in stuff that is to thick to see more than 40 yards, couldn't shoot more than 20.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Where are the apologies for shooting an antlerless deer; or having to shoot a management buck?

Oh that's right: this is the TRAD gang...     :readit:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©