3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A good week in MN..more pics.and stories added  (Read 1553 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
A good week in MN..more pics.and stories added
« on: September 29, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Tracy and I have just gotten back from our bear and deer hunt in northern Minnesota.This is a hunt we look forward to alot.We go up and hunt with Brian and Todd Johnson,these guys have become great friends over the last 7 years.Just to let you get a feel for the terrain up there,here are a few pictures of the country side.

We stayed near the big city of Leonard

Which had great roads.No the roads are not as bad as the sign says,at least not this time of year.

More pictures and hunting stories to come,just as soon as I can con Tracy into putting up more pictures.There were alot of firsts on this trip.Tracy got her first and second traditional deer. Two other friends got their first bear with their recurves,and I got to test out some new VPA broadheads.
Bill

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A good week in MN..more pics.and stories added
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
After bear hunting for 6 nights and not seeing anything (due to the hot weather), I decided to put the bear behind me and deer hunt in the morning and evening. On the first evening of deer hunting two yearlings came into the alfalfa field around 6:30 (the second picture on the first post was taken from my stand). I was so nervous thinking I might actually get a shot. I waited anxiously for them to come my way. After milling around for awhile the one came into range (about 15 yards). My heart was pounding so loud, I am suprised they did not hear it. I knew I had to bear down and pick a spot to make the shot count. I made a heart shot on this deer, and it ran about 30 yards. The other deer came around to me and I took a shot at it also, but I was so worked up I missed low. The only thing that could have made it a better expierence would have been to have Bill in the stand with me. I called Bill right away and told him my exciting news. I stayed in the stand waiting for one of the other 25-30 deer to come into range, but they never did.
Tracy

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

Alright Tracy!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
wow!!! nice deer tracy.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
SWEET!!  Great job!

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Awesome! Great shot, nice deer.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
The MN hunt started very well for me.The first evening of bear hunting I saw a fat little bear with a beautiful coat.He came sneaking in just befor dark.I have so  much respect for these animals,so gorgous and stealthy!After the little bear got his fill, I snuck out.The next day Brian Johnson and I put up another stand at this bait sight.We snuck it back into a spruce tree for great cover and a little help with some scent control.
 I hunted at another sight the second evening and at 5:50 pm a nice bear came in.He looked around,circled the bait and made a hasty retreat.The wind was swirling slightly so he may have gotten a snoot full of me.The bear did not seem to be spooked though.I was certain the bear would be back before dark.I was wrong.The next day was the opening of MN deer season, so the plan was to hunt deer in the morning and bear in the evening.
 The first morning of deer season I was tucked back between two marshes on an oak flat.Just after good day light I noticed a huge bodied deer heading my way.I could not see if it was a buck or a doe,but I knew it was going to be the first to experience a vpa broadhead, if it came close enough.It turned out to be a very nice buck.Even better I thought, as I reached to turn on my video camera.Thats when I found out I had left it on all night,after sharing the video of the bear from the day before.So much for the video.There was no way I was going to let this big boy walk.A soft grunt stoped the buck for the shot.He looked right at me when I grunted, so I had to wait for him to look away before I could draw.The shot was good.It hit the buck just at the back of the shoulder,center punching a rib on the entrance side,and passing through.
After calling Tracy to let her know what had happened,I sat back to enjoy the moment.The blood trail was an easy and short walk.
Bill

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Way to go Tracy!  Congratulations!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Nice buck Bill!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Congrats Tracy on some FIIINNNE table fare!!

Congrats Bill on a NICE buck.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Little did I know the morning was not over for me!About 30 minutes later in walks 3 fat Minnesota does.One of which stood broadside about 20 yards behind me.Now this stand was not ment for anyone to shoot a 60" longbow behind it.However, after using a close limb to lean out and rest my knee on I had plenty of room to shoot behind the stand.The big doe never knew what hit her.She only went 30 yards before expireing.If there would have been a need to track the doe it would have been awful easy.The blood trail was more than ample.
Bill

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Way to go Tracy and Bill  :thumbsup:

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
With a few deer on the meat pole,it was time to get back to the bear hunting.Tracy and I were not the only ones who had more than a little luck.There were 8 deer and 2 bear taken by the 4 traditional hunters in camp.Man,I love Minnesota.More tomorrow.
Bill

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Nice shooting Tracy and Bill. Did you use the VPA broadheads? I like those red eyes Bill.  

MARK
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Way to go Bill and Tracy!! That last doe looks BIG!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
The red eyes appear when I have a devious thought.Yep, I used the VPA 250 grain 1 1/8" cut.After going through a third deer It hit a rock.The broadhead only had a small nick in the blade,which came out fairly easy while resharpening.I dont want to sound like a commercial here,but there was actualy dust from the busted rock on the broadhead farrel.Im sure the 640 grain arrow had more than a little something to do with the busted rock. Im very happy with the broadheads.
Bill

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Sometimes a change of plans is just what the doctor ordered. Congrats on a great hunt and great shooting you two.  I've been going through the same bear dilemma due to the warm weather. Baits were finally hit again a week ago for 3 successive nights but nothing for the last couple.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Sounds good on the VPA's the 175's are heading to the woods with me on Saturday if it ever quits raining over here in Erie.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Goke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Very cool guys. Now you have me wanting a Zipper bow.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©