3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A month full of Bull  (Read 1224 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
A month full of Bull
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »
I am going to take you through the story of my year in pictures.  A lot of mine cannot be posted here, as all of my hunting partners use wheels.  But I'll post what I can of my story.  This year was easily one of the most intense I can remember for rutting/screaming activity.  What a fantastic time, I am truly humbled by the creator to have been a part of it. I was in on 9 elk kills, including two of my own (cow and a bull) and countless other close calls and call ins.  On a sad note I also lost a bull this year which ended me being picky about what to shoot.  That always serves to humble a guy, one of the worst feelings in the world but essentially part of being the predator with a conscience. I think I hit him the same place King shot his last year.  Aced him without a doubt, but no blood and no body...

I started out very picky but after that experience I just wanted some meat.   All that Plus what I swear are hours of elk singing in the trees and still ringing in my ears.   sit back and I hope you enjoy the pics of where I hunt!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A month full of Bull
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »
beetle kill

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »

First time I've seen scat, in a tree.  elk a literally everywhere at this point!

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
So, this morning began ominously.  

A bull and cows seemed to follow us up the mountain, instead of us doing the chasing.  Regardless, we only had one opportunity on a smallish 5 in the morning.  Than, later that night things heated up.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
That evening around 5 found us on a piece of mountain that resembles the slippery slope of the inside of your cereal bowl.  And rightly so, as at the bottom and top of it are two phenomenal staging/bedding/feeding grounds.  

Working our way up to the old growth timber above us we stopped to give our achilies tendons some time to relax.  As I was sitting there pondering the necissity of it all I looked up through the magnification power of a bead of sweat and saw a gorgeous bull in the 320 class sauntering across the slope as if he was late for a very important date.  He caught us rather of guard, but threw out a soft mew on my reed to slow him down a bit.  He turned and screamed at us impatiently, rather abruptly too, than continued on his way quickly over the hill.

Not to be out down we hurried up the hill to give chase, just where could he be going during this lazy hour?

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
The fact that he was headed somewhere and presently had no cows told us that he likely new where they were, with the big boy, not that I wouldn't have taken him as a nice substitute.  This particular area has some monster bulls, they astonish me every year, for an over the counter unit.

So, we got up through the pretty old growth, and continue to heel that bull we found ourselves bailing back off downhill toward a seriously steep canyon.  The bottom and other side of the canyon is full of Grass and aspens, however the entrance to it is rather foreboding.  But, that bull went in there and we were too.  

We call this place the Battlegrounds because a few years ago we watched a couple of real monarchs do battle for a couple dozen cows in there.  They fought their hearts out right in front of us, but we couldn't quite close the distance before a cow got behind us and smelled my stinking tired frame.

This time though, on the way down I bugled loudly across the canyon out of curiosity.  The whole canyon exploded with music as if they were just waiting for the conductor to start the show.  However, after I gave a couple of cow calls as we were slipping and sliding down the slope making an awful racket the herd bull took a real liking to the sounds of us coming to him, yelling forceful enticements it seemed at every single stick break or rock roll or cow mew we made.

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »
:campfire:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
Down the hill we slid, through the creek and climbing hand over hand up the other side we found ourselves right in the right spot, with the wind finally moving the right direction.  upon coming up the steep slope, it abruptly leveled out fairly well so that I found myself (generally always the caller) in front of the shooter, having climbed the hill quickest.  Directly behind my and down wind was a semi-cliff covered in grass and in front of me was a level feeding ground of Aspen, mixed confer and mucho grande elk food.  

Still trying to claw his way up the slope, my dad, who was SUPPOSED to be in the front rolled a big rock which made some serious noise all the way into the splash at the creek.  

That noise immediately attracted some attention by that bull who had been anxiously awaiting the arrival of those two clumsy cows from across the canyon.  

Without thinking, I cow called to cover the noise of the rock and breaking branches.  Every cow elk that creation ever dreamed up came off the slope above me, right at me like an single celled avalanche.  In no time they were ON me.  Cows everywhere, just not behind me in consequence of the cliff, which is great because of the wind.  And right behind them was one of the largest elk I have ever had the privelege of seeing on the hoof.  He is an absolutely huge bull no matter wear you are from.   His body alone seemed to eclipse the sun, with antlers wide enough to frame it in the sky and heavy enough to drag it down to earth were they attached to it. I had had a close call in a call and stalk situation with him ealier this year, in darker timber.  This time though I could really see him and I tell you what, my knees were butter.  

His bugle too is that of a king.  Being that he was singing to those cows mostly, they were long high pitch songs with just the right tone to make my hair stand on end, and loud enough to lift me off my feet.  That bull screamed and screamed and screamed.  He made such a racket, it was flat unreal, more than worth the price of admission.  he pushed and prodded those cows, ran around, raked his antlers on tiny defenseless poplars, glunked until his throat was sore.  He peed and rolled in it, tried to mount a couple of wary girls and just flat carried on like a drunk kid in a frat house.  All that noise brought several others bulls off the mountain down into the fray, they too trying to sing the song of Love and enticement.  A couple of them got too close too him, and he chased them off locking antlers breifly with one of them.  When they would yell at each other the loud bass thump off of the trees vibrated to my very soul.  

That was the moment that will carry me on wings till next year.

All the while this was going on, that bull got within about 25 yards several times.  But, I felt like wile e coyote under one of his own anchors.  I created this mess and was pinned down hard by several feeding cows within what seemed like feet, lying in a submissive posture with my knees under me and my belly on top of them.  Breathing had to be remembered in order for it to happen at all.  but alas, with the cliff being behind me it seemed like it might just work, if my heart could take it.  

This whole time my Pop was down the hill about 40 yards, with only the auditory stimulation to go on, not being able to see any of this, though that wasn't anything to complain about.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 02:31:00 AM »
Eventually, something had to happen, and it did.  A crazy 5 point bull with a death wish came flying into the heard moments after the two big bulls had momentarily fought.  In doing so, he scattered the girls that were right next to me like a ball through pins.  That took my breath away and it was everything I could do to not jump and wave my white flag.

I thought this might open it up so I could draw and shoot.  But, what it did was get that big boy to give chase hard and teach that little bull a lesson.  I doubt he forgot it too, as he was sent sideways down the steepness, though just out of bow range for my dad!  Mr Everything came roaring back to the herd, anxious with the presence of his two real rivals still very real. To my utter surprise, A cow had somehow got behind me and in front of my dad on the hillside, in the melee.  I think she immediately knew something was up, which made quickly start thinking of how I could get that bull who was within range, and now, before everything turned south.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
He was trotting around to my left, which was perfect as that was the direction my bow shoulder was pointing.

I had my bow out in front of me parallel to the ground, which was a position I was very comfortable with shooting from.  Needless to say, by this time my heart was needing a pace maker to keep in my chest.  

As he trotted to the left, so did a cow, and they were only giving me brief chances at open shots.  

Just then the cow behind me Barked loud, she had seen me shift to draw.  The bull and cow froze, still well within range.  IT only took and instant to make my decision, drawing, feeling the point of highest tension and smooth release, I watched the arrow fly cleanly out and through the body of the slightly quartering away elk.  The Snuffer and 760 gr arrow did their job and that majestic animal died yards from impact.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 02:41:00 AM »
The whole herd moved up the hill and continued the chorus into the night as we boned, though they were now missing a member of their herd.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »
Yep, I filled my cow tag.  she was covering that bull like a body guard and I decided I just couldn't let this experience leave without something to remeber them buy.  

That shed was next to an aspen where she/he died.  Upon inspection it was a young bull with no antlers yet.  Perfect for the freezer!

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 02:44:00 AM »
The 'real' photo of an antlerless tag filled.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »

and thankfully, my season wasn't near over yet...

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 02:46:00 AM »

the CO line...

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 02:47:00 AM »

kindred spirits of the past

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 02:48:00 AM »

another shed

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »
The bull to end the season.  He came hard while I was working two other elk in the other direction, last weekend.  This bull came in from as far as I've ever known an elk to come.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©