3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BigMac Oklahoma  (Read 503 times)

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
BigMac Oklahoma
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »
Any of you Fella's hunting McAlester Army Ammo Dump.  Me and my Buddy Stinkbait will be down the third weekend of October.
Apprentice - GoodWill Industries ProStaff

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BigMac Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Wapiti: I did not draw it again this year  :(  but have hunted it several times in the past. You will have a ball! You do have to put up with a day of instructions the morning of the first day, but after that its all good. The second half of the first day, they let you go out and scout and hang a stand. My advise to people that hunt it is once you get to your area, start looking along the roads (there are lots of roads) and find some crossing sign(trail) follow this back until you find some good sign and hang your stand. The Mac deer could care less about roads and traffic, they see security vehicles and trucks all day every day of the year. Once your stand is hung, then you can use whatever time you have left to scout some more, If you find a better place, after the following mornings hunt, you can move your stand to the better spot. Lots of people spend all their time looking for "the spot" and end up rushing at the end of the day to put up a stand.
 The second thing I would advise, is if you are on a stand and see deer moving in another area, get down at lunch and move your stand to that area, keep moving until you get on them. There are lots of different habitat types on the base, from open hay meadow areas to closed canopy oak forrest. I prefer the open hay meadow areas, and in between bomb bunkers, someplace that has oak and persimmon draws(creeks) in them, but thats just me. We are going to have a good acorn and persimmon crop this year, so thats what I would look for if I were you.
Best of luck!

Chris Rice
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I sent a PM

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
Chris you sound like wise man.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Not so wise Mo., but have 52 years of doing things over and over again till I figure out what I am doing wrong  :)
Wapiti:The base deer are completely different than deer on the outside. They rarely get shot at by people with firearms.
The base also runs about 300 hunters through there about 6 weekends in a row. The old Does really look up in the trees, I mean they scan each tree one by one, so if you hunt above the ground, be sure you have plenty of cover, or they will bust you.

Chris
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
I've been lucky enough to go twice now and Chris Rice is 100% right.  Don't waist time trying to get as deep in the woods as possible.  And don't think that you will find that one spot that nobody else has ever been.  Try to volenteer as a driver.

What erea are you hunting?

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I'll be in DeerCreek Oct. 16-18 if anybody has any info it would be appreciated. This is the first time I've hunted in deercreek.
Daniel

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Wapiti Dung and Stinkbait!! Better bring some scent killer. Hap

Offline S Biles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
My son, myself, and a friend will be hunting Hominy the last weakend in october. This will be our second hunt there. We hunted deer creek the first time. My son shot a nice buck there, but we were unable to find it. Good Luck!

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
Hot Hap, Funny!!!!! (Wapitidung is one word.  Just thought I'd mention that)  

Rice,  Thanks for the tips.  I kinda figured this hunt would be like no other Whitetail hunt I've ever been on.

We drew Boggy Oct. 23-25.

We plan on placing stands in Cedars and I might bring down a Ghille Suit.

Offline bjhunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
My cousin and friend and I were drawn in for Deer Creek on the weekend of Oct. 23-25 also.  This has all been very good advice so far.  Really excited about getting drawn back in this year.  We got drawn in about 9 or 10 years ago and went way back in the timber but didn't end up having any luck at all.  Thanks again and good luck to all on their hunts!!
"You Can't Learn Any Younger"

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
I'll be down at Hominy Nov 12-15. I have hunted all the areas including Beartrap. The best place is not deep in the woods. I like the meadows and open too. The deer know that they are being hunted and will adjust very quickly to it.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
I didnt apply this year as I had conflicting schedules, but have been 5 or 6 times, but I also agree, on not really getting deep, I killed a really nice deer a couple years ago on a field edge, he was skirting the timber and heading into a field. also look at small patches of timber isolated in a field and fingers of timber leading in to fields..try to find something where other folks arent willing to walk to..  good luck, I wish I was goin...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline lynn trammel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
I have put in for the last two years with no luck. I have heard that if you put in as a group there is a better chance of drawing a hunt. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?
Lynn Trammel

Offline jhp0529

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
I drew in to the Boggy area for Nov. 12-15. This was my first year to put in and I put in by myself. I heard that chances increase if you put in with a group if the people in your group have more preference points than you do because they take the average of the group. I'm not really sure. I know I am excited to get down there.

Offline bjhunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Well Lynn, you would think that would be the case but I don't know that it works out.  The three of us have been putting in together for the past 5 years and finally got drawn in this year.  The first time we put in, we got drawn in the first time with just my cousin and I.  It is just really hard to say.
"You Can't Learn Any Younger"

Offline lynn trammel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
I guess you just never know. I have heard of guys from around my area that have drawn in every year they have put in for. Sure would like to go hunt down there but there are big bucks lurking all around the state.
Lynn Trammel

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »
David Lay, How are you.  I remember shooting with you at a Traditional 3D shoot quite some time ago.  I hope all is well with you.

Wap

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
Lynn,

I've heard that if you subscribe to Outdoor Oklahoma, it increase your chances of getting drawn into Big Mac.  I did subscribe early this year.  I've never received one issue (or the refund I asked for) but I did get draw'd this year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©