3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any luck Iowans?  (Read 801 times)

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
Re: Any luck Iowans?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
I made it out last night.  The rain died down about 5:15pm.  I had a young buck hang around within range for 1/2 hour.  He had a sad little rack.  Nice body size but funny stick straight main beams.  We have a rule to let the little guys pass.  My Hawk buck from last year is my mark.  He was a 4x5 so I need that or bigger(or stranger).
Had a good doe come in.  I decided to take her but then a fawn showed at 30 yards.  I just can't bring myself to take a doe with fawn.  I am a girl!  Still have some meat in the frezzer so i passed.  Might regret it later in the season if my tags are not filled.  Oh well.  Great opener.  Loved being back out there!
Kate
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Wife and i hit the blinds around 6 30am at light the wind picked up stronger. Heard a deer jump the creek behind me but no sight.. Greywolf seen a med size doe but behind her in the brush to far. Around 9am i heard a bird call. Her, met up with her and she was shaking.. didn't dress warm enough and she was wet and froze. was fun to make the run..got to the truck and it rained harder... things happen for a reason.....
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
May head out this afternoon depending on the rain hopefully ill be posting a "First Trad Kill" around 8 PM  :pray:

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
I had a great hunt this morning. I still hunted my way back to my favorite ridge on my grandma's tree farm and saw 13 deer in all. I saw 3 bucks and the one was "old wide boy". I had him at 55 yards and he went the other way into the wind. Thats why he's a 4 1/2 year old 160" buck instead of deer sausage. I have had two close calls so hopefully there will be a third. I will keep after him or "Old Drop Tine" which ever one I get close to first. Chad
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Didn't see anything again today maybe tom!

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
took my wife out for the first time tonight.  she didn't dress warm enough so got cold after a couple hours.  She finally gets cold enough to say she wants to go home.  get out of the treestand, walk 20 yards to the trail, and there's two does running away.  another 10 minutes they'd have been coming at us!  oh well.  there's always tomorrow!
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline greywolf63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
Your wife isn't alone Joe. Here's a picture of my co-worker for whom i had a bet with on who would get the biggest and the first. Well he got the first but the biggest is still available. This is Tim Foote's first deer ever with bow.
"Why do not the Indians till the ground and live as we do?" May i not ask with equal propriety, "Why do not the white people hunt and live as i do?"

Offline greywolf63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Here's my other buddie JLC trying to decide which bow to use for his first day.... Come on Jack pick one....ya only have twenty or so. .
"Why do not the Indians till the ground and live as we do?" May i not ask with equal propriety, "Why do not the white people hunt and live as i do?"

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Great pics GreyWolf!  Good luck to you this weekend!
Kate
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
Saw a coon, bobcat, and maybe close to 1,00,000 squirrels! Unfortunetly no deer today except driving home saw a NICE buck cross road where I was hunting.

Offline greywolf63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
couldn't hunt myself today, but I took my husband to hunt with his dad, and while we where headed down the road by where we hunt we saw a nice 8 pointer crossing the road, Then on the other end of the property was a monster buck crossing the road. Both where coming out of the property where we hunt at 5:30 AM But it is just my luck so far this year I can see them when I don't hunt but can't see anything when I am.
 Greywolf

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Oct 4th,  the first day of the year I get to hunt with my father. For the last 35 plus years we been tramping the dirt fields, leaf cover timbers and flinging arrows here in Southeast Iowa together. This year I have a special lady for which to share those same woods with, but unfortunately she had to work. We woke up around 5am had coffee and she ran me down to my fathers and dropped me off. Dad and I hit the woods around 6:25am I decided to walk a ways to a spot on the back of the farm. I normally hunt from the ground since I have a back problem but this time it was the ladder stand. Quietly I snuck up to it since it's next to a bedding area and layed my walking stick against a tree. Climbed up the stand and hung my bag and Lakota quiver on the hook. Grabbed a 28” wooden arrow and nocked it on my bow. Sitting there in the dark it felt good to be back in the woods finally. Sounds of small animals walking around and the day coming alive to me is like no other feeling. As the sun came up the birds started to greet each other and crows noisily gathered for their morning breakfasts. To my left is a small creek surrounded by head high trees and brush along it's banks. On the other side of the creek a big grassy area where I have kicked up several times a nice big buck. Out front of me is a small clearing going along the creek to a bigger creek. To my left is the pasture and a pond about a hundred yards away. Around 7:30 a huge Redtail hawk lands in a tree in front of me. Hello there Mr Hawk! He either is looking at my exposed face or the squirrel playing in the tree. Hoping it was the tree rat and not my face. Been there before and about got a tattoo (scars) to prove it. Been lucky in the Hawk dept. Always  been close to them as they hold a special meaning to me.. I like to think that every time one comes close to me it has a meaning or message for me. What ever pops in my mind is usually what I take from him. This time it was “enjoying life now Vic”  uhhh  yes!! all the sudden a pack of coyotes start yipping and howling. What the heck??  I've hunted those yotes for years and only one time before have I heard them howling this late in the morning. 8am. The hawk screams out in a answer.. than a lone coyote howls back hundred yards or so behind me from the north. The hawk screams out again in answer. Then flies towards the area the pack howled from... hunters communicating I guess. At 8:30 a flock of geese fly over me singing their way southward. As they got out of sight I sensed something behind me, turning slowly I spot a small doe walking across the pasture to the pond for a drink. I watch her drink for a while and than I hear something to my left. Three does going from the bedding area down to the creek. I hear a grunt! But realize it's not a real grunt. Heck Dads down there along the creek in his stand. I wondered where he was? The biggest doe had to be close to him? Whack!  Here comes the doe right at me. After 35 years of hard labor dad can no longer use his regular bows and uses a x one. She passed right on by me untouched.  9:30 a small deer was making it's way towards me from where Dad was along the big creek. Here he come, a small button buck right under me ten feet under my boots. I watch him walk off into the bedding area and lay down. Finally the Iowa winds start to crank up and the morning is well on it's way. Again I hear Dad grunting on his grunt call. This time a Buck answers him to my left from the bedding area. Ever time Dad called the Buck answered. But he wouldn't come out of that brushy patch... I sat there until 10am wind blowing and birds singing but no more deer movement. Finally Dad came walking up the clearing to me and I harassed him about missing that doe. He had hit a limb, guess all bows have that problem once in a while.. Walking out with our walking sticks together talking about the morning felt  better than shooting any Booner on my wall.  Last night hunted a clover field, sat in a brush pile and not one animal showed itself..
― Aldo Leopold

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Love it Vic.  Thanks for sharing!  Anytime with Dad in the woods is a blessing.
I have had bow hunting follies this year.  Had 3 does come into range just to have my hubby and son shoot of rockets in the back yard.  Man can does run:)
Last night I got into a stand I had left alone for 2 months.  Knew a nice 8 pointer travels by it often(missed him last year, pics this year).  Wind was perfect.  Saw a doe on the ridge.  Then.....my dog came and sat under my stand!  Nice.
Got a small one today 10 yards on the ground.  Was standing under my sand as I walked in.  Nothing to brag on but fixing up jerky and a back strap as I type!
Love Iowa in the Fall!
Kate

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
Way to go Katie!!! Nothing better than fresh meat and jerky on the plate. Follies? yep had those and there's probably plenty more of them coming. Rain and wind been keeping me home, don't know why never bothered me before, wait i guess i might be getting older??? Don't tell Greywolf. Told her i was twenty when we got married last year. HEheheh
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Silvertip Marc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
about 30 minutes into my first time out, I heard something behind me...At 10 yards the doe looked right up at me.  She took a couple of steps and turned to look the opposite direction of my tree.  Gave me ample time to aim and release.  Called a buddy of mine(Danny Johnson) and took up the trail after about an hour.  This is the first time posting pictures.

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
YES! Great deer  :clapper:

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
First time out was last sunday night hunt. Took my 8 year old daughter Mattie with we saw 2 small bucks and had a doe and 2 fawns about 20 yards away but no shots. But got some quaility time with the little one Sitting on the edge of a corn field .

doug

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Awesome Silvertip, good eating there.. Congrads!!
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Went out this evening...absolutely beautiful day to be in the stand...had a doe and a yearling come in was drawn on the yearling, but saw the doe and decided to try to get a shot at the more mature deer, but winded me.  O well an amazing evening in the stand!

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Great job Silvertip!
Glad you got your heartrate up on some deer Zach.  Can't wait to see you smiling with a deer in a pic!
Vic-I will not tell her, promise!  I'm sure she will always see you as a young buck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©