3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any luck Iowans?  (Read 799 times)

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any luck Iowans?
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
Great Iowa Day today. Walked back and sat on logging road in the middle of forty acres. Seen one freaking huge racoon and a squirrel. Was so darn quiet in those woods i fell asleep sitting there all comfy and such. Rain woke me up, and by then i was soaked. Don't know what walked by me when i was sleeping?  Walked out in a downpour and called it a good Iowa day.... Rain Rain Rain Wind Wind Wind   Ok Katie thanks!!
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
this week-end should have some good potental for hunting.It's going to be nice and cool. Can't wait for the sun to come up tomorrow AM

doug77

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Had a nice big doe and 3x3 buck walk right in front of me.  One problem, I asked my hubby to raise my stand 3 feet.  He raised it and faced it South.  It was facing West.  As much as I tried I could not bend that far and not fall off the stand.  Nice big doe at 12 yards.  Oh well, always another day.  It was cool to watch them pass and have no clue I was trying my hardest to find a shooting lane to them.  Sending the hubby back out to move the stand yet again.  I have a good man!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
More follies eh Katie? always something. I always told dad we need to hang our stands the way we think the deer will come, then turn them the other way before we lock them down. Always happens they come from behind or the wrong way!! Taken the week end off, too much corn still in the fields at one place and the deer hiding in it.. except at night. Lost our main place, $#%#$# lease hunting. Twice in two years some Michigan  hunters leased out from under us in the middle of season...    :mad:      :banghead:
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
That's why I wish I had 100 acres of my own!  I wish I could have been in the woods today, but tom I will be a different story!  We will get an arrow in something tom!

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
This morning went out with wife, got her in her blind and went on to the stand. Didn't have much happen until 9am when the rain started and two nice bucks popped up behind her in the brush. One big eight point and a little nine about twenty yards from her. I let out a grunt to signal there were deer by her and she acknowledges with her bird sounds. The bigger one walked away from her out into the corn field and the smaller nine point came right for me. I debated long and hard about shooting  and when he got about twenty some yards i decided to shoot,he stood there broadside and wasn't coming any closer, heck i can do that shot or at least i did it many times on the 3d deer target.  dang it i released without staring down the point of impact and sailed a beautiful crested arrow over his back and smashed it into a tree. He just stood there looking at me, and then ran off. well got that out of the way for the season maybe next time the buck will be bigger and i will stare at my spot....she didn't see them because of the brush being to high. Tonight were going out and put up a ladder stand above the brush for her. She don't like height very well...
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
I have been seeing good movement, but nothign in range yet.  As soon as my Bob Lee arrives (purchased on this site) I will head back out with new bow in hand!
>>>--------->

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Vic-I think your lady will like the ladder stand.  I love mine.  Just put the harness on her and she will feel secure.  Sorry about the buck.  Funny how that seems to happen 1st deer of the season.  You can make a shot 10 out of 10 in the yard on a 3d.  Then standing in front of a deer in the field.......  Oh well, keeps the season going:)
Good lucj everyone.  Hope the rain holds off so the corn can get picked.  I sat in a stand on Sunday night and heard "hello" grunts from the corn.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
katie i think not! don't know if i should be telling on her when she is at work and not able to defend herself, or is it, hit me? oh well i been hit before. Last year i put her in my fifteen foot ladder stand in the dark no less. I walked thirty yards away and sat in the brush with my ASAT leaf suit on. About twenty mintues into the light a hawk landed right above me and stared right at me for a while and then flew her way.                                           Right away i sensed something was wrong. I got up and walked over to where she was and looked up. She had a death grip on the stand and her eyes were closed. I whispered "Honey you all right" she shakes her head "NO" I said" Get down" she said "NO I CAN"T" long story short i got her down and thats the end of ladder stands beyond 6 feet up.                             Was my fault because she never sat in a ladder stand before and i didn't tell her how high she was sitting in the dark. So 8 foot up it is at least she will be able to see over the brush. Yeap ain't the first time i done that (pick a spot)in thirty years and won't be the last. He wasn't a wall hanger but he sure had some backstraps on him! Talking about rain down here for the next four days, everything saturated already.
― Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©