3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scents, lures & times to use them?  (Read 398 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Scents, lures & times to use them?
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
As a new whitetail hunter (been in a treestand twice now!  :D ) the plethora of different scents & attractants available is somewhat daunting, to say the least!

Is there a general rule of thumb as to which scents to use at particular times during the season?

Are there any particular brands I ought to avoid or favor?

I know that I can hunt without any of this kind of thing, but until I've got a season of experience under my belt & venison (hopefully) in the freezer, I'm looking for all the help I can get!

I know about the wind & scent control, by the way, I'm purely interested in finding out a little more about lures & attractants.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scents, lures & times to use them?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
I rarely use any kind of animal scent ( you ever see that video of a guy bow hunting with elk scent on him and that big buck that wooped him,LOL )
Once in a while I'll use a little fresh doe pee on my boots, get it from a guy here local. as far as cover scent I use fresh earth or some kind fall scent and the fresh earth wafers. Good luck and good hunting
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
James Valley Scents used to be well thought of. I think they are in South Dakota. I have not used much in the way of commercial scents lately.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
PM Sent.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Doe in heat scent has worked for me attracting bucks during pre rut and does also will go to the spot which is useful for getting them to just the right spot for a shot. Two year old buck seem to be particularly foolish about this stuff. They will follow a drag track (rag on a string or on your boots).

My cousin Phil liberally dosed his boots years ago and said he reached his stand and had a buck right behind him, just had time to get his bow ready. Said he was glad he did not stop to ties his shoes!

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Try this if you get the chance. If you have two hunting spots 3-5 miles distant from one another, find an active scrape and in the AM collect a double hand full of dirt from one. Be very careful no to contaminate the sample your going to collect and put it into a scrape 3-5 miles away. This can be extremely effective. The best way, at least for me to collect the dirt is newspaper and a stick. Make a cone out of the newspaper, holding the cone by the pointy end use about a 2 foot stick that you found nearby, push the dirt into it and fold up the newspaper. Secure with a rubber band. When you get to your other active scrape in the afternoon just unfold and dump in. You could be in for a pretty interesting evening hunt. I've seen bucks come into the scrape with fire in their eyes and the hair on their back standing straight up and snorting with every step and proceed to tear up the surrounding area. I've seen other bucks come into the scrape, lay down like a dog and roll around in it. I've seen other bucks come in on tippy toes and walk way around the scrape with their tail tucked tight to their butts, sometimes I've not seen a buck. Your milage may very, but it's worth a try.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Rob,
Keep your lid screwed down tight for now bud. When pre-rut hits here in TN around first week of Nov you can use doe in heat or some kind of buck tarsal scent as a challenge to a buck's area once you find his scrapes.

Over the years we have found a buck's scrape line and made some mock scrapes around his and come in the next day and found the woods SHREDDED ! Just make sure you are wearing knee high rubber boots, make the scrape with a stick, then dribble some buck urine in the scrape, touch nothing to make sure you leave no human scent. Also keep you scents refrigerated and not on the dash of the truck in the hot sun. Will turn to ammonia quickly. Any doe in heat right now will only spook the deer.

Stay as clean as possible and play the wind as much as you can. I would HIGHLY recommend you get you a puffer bottle full of talc powder and while you are hunting your different spots puff it from time to time to learn how the wind works in the hills and hollows of TN. A REAL eye opener. Also remember to hunt low on the hill in the evenings, your scent falls and most likely the deer will be coming down the hill to the fields. In the morning hunt higher and catch them coming uphill to bed from the fields. Your scent rises in the morning with the temp / thermals. However, with that being said you still need to watch the puffer bottle the wind can play a reverse trick on you in these hills !!! A vacuum can form near certain terrain and your scent will go the opposite of what you think it is. After a few blowouts and snorts from them ole nanner headed does and you will learn how to play the wind here in the hills.

nocams  :scared:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
I always use fox urine on my boots each time I enter the woods for a cover scent.  Lots of fox around my parts.  Seems to help on the walk in.  Have had deer use my trail after I'm in the stand and didnt seem to notice.  

Like it has been said, I dont start using doe in heat scents until last week of Oct.- end of Nov.  I have shot a buck once with his nose up to a tinks scent bottle that hangs on a limb during 1st week of Nov.

Good luck to you.

Mike
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
James Valley Scents, COVER-UP,which is a real good product. Stay Squeky clean, chew spearmint gum. My formula.. For me most lures used to do some attracting but mostly small bucks (under 150) came to them. wasted alot of money finding out what i'm lucky with..
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
James Valley doe lure has been effective for me all season. Doe in heat later, although I have had good success with VS-1 from Border Crossing Labs. Please don't tell George though, it is kinda expensive.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
COVER-UP,which is a real good product.
AMEN to the CoverUp. Wish I could find the website as I'm almost out of it.  :confused:
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline 8888blk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Early season I use pure vanilla extract in a spray bottle. I go in early and spray on ground and trees so the wind carries scent towards bedding area so any deer that passes out of bowrange will eventualy cross scent path and will come back to investigate, they love it, i've seen them rub their faces in it then lick each other.

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Being your new to the states and deer hunting I'm surprised none of your TN brothers have told you the secrets of deer lures....just take a small rag and pour lots of doe in heat on it...then attach to the back of your belt....and take a nice romantic walk errrr I mean stalk thru the woods...the bucks will find you....might want to dab alittle behind your ears as well.....lol
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
pm sent
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Try James Valley Scents Wall Hanger, you can use it any time year. I put it in front of my trail camera and it works. John Collins that owns James Vally Scents also makes some of the best BBQ sause. It's called Big Johns Old West BBQ Sauce and it's good stuff.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I use the fresh earth cover scent and it works great.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I found food scents work from start to finish of the deer season. If you can get DOEs to come in to your hunting area, Bucks will follow.

Fox or Coon pee for cover scent. Putting DOE pee on your boots and climbing a tree will only tell the deer where you are.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
RROCKS right I thought I was the only one doing this.I ad a little twist.I'll pick my hunting sites where I can build a scrape and build my mock scrape and get it going before season.
   And when scrapes srart showing up.I take clean jars and hike other areas.At hunt time I'll ad a jar.I use a small jar 1/2 pint or smaller and ad to my mock scrap when I hunt it.I go a little father.
  When me or a friend kills a buck.Again from a different area.I'll trim the hair off his tarsels into a clean baggie.But I'll but it into a film cans and  put it  out when I hunt there.This way I can take it when I leave.Like a different bucks just visting.
  I'll also take a  big needle like the one used to season meat.And put his urine into small once jars.Which I keep in the fridge.And ad a bottle each time I hunt the area.The main reason people think scents don't work is because it's hard to set up where a buck can smell your scent and not you.A pressures mature buck will keep the wind in his favor 90% 0f the time.
  I don't totally depend on scrape hunting.My scrapes are put on or where theres trail crossing the more the better,bottle necks,between beding areas food,between doe groups etc.Ad calling to the area and and time of year and you have a hot stop.
  I'll killed 97 bucks in 40 years most that were taken with these tatics in some way.I also have 100's of trail pic's of buck checking out my scrapes.So these tatic's do and will work for you.
  There you go robtatto sure wish someone would have helped me out when I first started out.PM me if you have any other questions.I'll be happy to help.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Over the years I have tried all sorts of things with varying degrees of success. As with "calling" to deer the response of the deer is dependent on many factors. There is no telling how an individual deer will react. That said a few things:

1. I am a big fan of the buck bomb doe in estrus. Used only during the "rut" time of year and have truly had bucks come in to ivestigate. never had negative reaction. Easy to use and not messy at all. Be sure to keep it warm and shake it up alot.

2. Vanilla extract: mixed with small amount of water and sprayed around on vegatation this is a great "curiosity" type lure. Works great early in season. Have had does and bucks come in to investigate. Never had negative reaction with this either.

Good Luck!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
I wear vanilla lotion!  
Kate
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©