3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bareshaft Testing ?  (Read 287 times)

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
Bareshaft Testing ?
« on: October 01, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
Shootin LeftHand, arrow hits high nock up, and to the right, to weak or stiff ? From about 18-20 yards ... Thanks

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bareshaft Testing ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
"Ignore the angle of the shaft" is what I have read. The first thing is to work on the up and down aspect of the bare shafts. If they are hitting lower than the fletched move the nocking pt. lower by 1/32" at a time. Continue until you get to "zero" or until they are grouping slightly lower than the fletched shafts. If they still are lower the nocking pt. was too low to begin with and they have been kicking off the shelf. So go back up and continue until they hit slightly lower. Then work on left and right. One thing at a time. Hope this helps.
So, if they are hitting high move the nock up a little at a time until they come down. Then if they are hitting right for a lefty they would be weak. Cut them down a 1/4" at a time or lighten the tip weight. You want them to show a little weak because when you fletch them that will stiffen them up a bit.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
I thought hitting right of the intended target (for a left handed shooter) that would mean the spine was too stiff.... I could very easily be incorrect - but what I thought - someone will set it straight...
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
I thought same as Blasterjdh, to the right is too stiff if you are a lefty.
In which case he would want to increase tip weight, go to a weaker (or a longer of same) shaft, or thin his plate closer to center?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Hey Adam....

If your arrow is flying down range NOCK RIGHT your arrow is too weak for a left handed shooter. Try a stiffer spined arrow, less tip weight or cut the arrow shorter.

Tim

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I am a lefty and snag has got it correct.

Adam, others are correct about how the arrows can look in the target, it can fool you. What you need to watch is the arrow as it flies toward the target. If it is tailing nock right, then it indeed is weak. As yo cut them down a little at a time you will get better and better flight. Leave them ever so slightly weak as snag said, by the time you add 30-40 grains of feathers and glue they will be spot on.

Don't forget to record your brace height and nock height and make sure you shoot your bow vertical during bareshafting too. Then, to confirm tune during season, shoot a bareshaft with your other arrows during target practice. It will confirm your bow tune, and more importantly.... confirm YOUR tune, haha ! Feathers will make up for a world of bad form issues, but a bareshaft will tell on you everytime !!! JMHO

nocams    :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline RajunCajun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
when arrow flies nock right it is weak, if arrow hits right of the intended target it is stiff or nock left stiff. i like a little weakness in my arrow for when you fletch it it will stiffen abit.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I was wrong...trying to think left for a righthander is hard! If your arrows are hitting right (for a lefthander) it indicates STIFF for a righthander it is WEAK.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Thanks fellas, Tim thats what Im gettin, Thanks Again ...

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
Unless your form is consistant, nock fit is perfect, and several other variables are controlled, it means little. Go to the link posted by BobW for a true understanding of bareshaft tuning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©