3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to hunt the rain  (Read 662 times)

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to hunt the rain
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
I used to like sneaking around in the rain, but I have recently lost 2 deer due to heavy rain washing away blood trails.  So, I no longer bow hunt when it rains.  I keep my wool for cold, dry weather.  Or a little snow!
Ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Doesn't affect fletching if you're arrows are correctly spined and bare shafted.  I use a 3 blade broadhead (which may or may not have anything to do with it), practice by placing the fletched end in a bucket of water, and let 'em fly.  I'd listen to the guys who constantly hunt in the rain- Pacific Northwest and Alaskans tend to agree on this subject.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Great time to still hunt! As others have said, if you arrows are tuned the wet feathers won't hurt much.
I am going to get hammered here but as far as rain washing away blood trails...it happens.
I try to be as ethical as possible, but you can "ethical" yourself into never getting a shot or making a kill. And if the rain helps you get a shot..Take It!
"The (deer, hog, etc...) was too far...too alert..too much rain...not quartering away....etc...
Yeah it sucks to lose an animal, but it isn't wasted. Compensatory Mortality, if you don't shoot it it will die of something else.
Rain is great time to hunt or fish. (especially since no one else will be out there and it is so nice to have the woods to yourself) OK, let me have it!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Hunting in a light rain is fun and not too dangerous for the blood trail but heavy rains... no thanks.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Exactly right Sendero25.
I like hunting in a light rain. I did lose a hog once when a heavy rain started after I made my shot. I felt terrible but it was a very makeable shot.If you wait for the absolute perfect time to hunt(or do anything) you won't hunt much if at all. I take advantage of anytime I can be in the woods.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
heres a 'follow up' question.....what about chance of thunder showers or thunderstorms ?????  (what they are calling for tomorrow in CT)

I'm thinkin being 20 feet up a tree on a cast aluminum platform isn't the safest place to be when they're calling for lightning.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
I've shot many deer still hunting in a light rain and or mist. Keep your shots close and use a string tracker.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Depends on how hard it rains.  Light rain is great and keeps the deer moving and keeps you quiet and kills some scent.  Heavy rain beds deer down and washes away blood trails.

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
How do I hunt in the rain? With a cup of coffee in my chair "hunting" for a football game on TV :-).

I just don't enjoy hunting in the rain because I always worry about losing a blood trail. I know, I know, I should be able to track them without any blood and I probably can. But I don't enjoy the whole experience so I chose to stay home.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=5086
This fletch-dry is great I use it when it rains.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
This SW wind is killing me! I only have one spot in Linn county for my antlerless tag should I still hunt around my stand or try another area Ive been hunting it pretty hard...I think the heavy rain yesterday kept the regulars on the other side of the park in the spruce trees

Offline Rod Bear

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Have used my catquiver in downpours. I spray the feathers with Scotchguard. Spray them several times during the season. Don't touch the wet feathers. You will have no problem.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I keep a strap on attachment bracket handy in my tub of hunting clothes, along with a stringtracker.  Hunting in the rain , and definitely right afterwards ca nbe awesome. After losing a deer many years ago to a downpour right after shooting him, I keep the stringtracker handy. I limit my shots to close shots,15 yd or so.Not much more.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
take a very long spear with a sharp as point.  :biglaugh:  in other words leave the bow at home.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Mist and light rain, no problem.  Take the good shot.  Heavy rain, not for me.  It may be possible, but I don't think it wise...

Feathers?  Waterproof them AND cover them when you can.  The Arrow Master and Cat Quivers are good for keeping feathers dry.  I dont' have any more Cat Quivers but I DO have an Arrow Master (Thanks Ron!) and that will be with me tomorrow as I still-hunt for deer in what I hope will be a light rain.

If it rains hard for a while, slip under a tree and wait it out.  It's best to be there when the rain stops.

Blessings!  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
well...snuck out yesterday in CT during a lull in the storm.   set up under a hemlock on the ground near a converging hub and stayed pretty dry for a couple hours.   it got very dark so I pulled out my iphone and pulled up the satellite weather maps on weather.com and there was a hug thunder cell baring down on my so I packed up and headed out with thunder booming over my head.   didn't see anything but at least I got out for a few.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
If I waited for it to stop raining I would never get to hunt. Wish I could get back to Hudson one of these yrs and hunt western MA with Hickstick...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I too love to hunt in a light misty rain but anything that is strong enough to wash away a blood trail is a no-no.

However, I'm not afraid to set out in a downpour if properly dressed.  Especially in the early pre rut when hunting near a couple of good scrapes.  I think it was Gene and Barry who wrote about bucks going around just after a rain storm to freshen their scrapes.  Seems to work for me.  Just have to make the call on whether or not there is more rain coming that could wipe out a blood trail and choose accordingly to shoot or not shoot.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Well I like to stay in the tee pee tent with a fire going playing cards if there is company, if it's raining REAL HARD......as soon as it dies down or quits I am out the door (stoke the fire before by putting barbeque briquettes in it) and I am off.

Never found that wet fletch was a problem but I use to use my cat quiver then , but I have ordered one of the new Safari Tuff side quiver from 3 rivers to see how they work out.

I always rub a bit of vaseline on my tips after I sharpen them too and that keeps them from rusting.

I love it after a rain...it's quite, fresh, and I find game start to move around then too. I put on my wool gaters I got with my Sleeping Indian outfit and I am warm and comfortable and quiet.

Jer Bear

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Jerry...I heard about the Vaseline thing...but heard on here that Vaseline is a coagulant so its probably not the best thing for coating something you intend to cause severe bleeding.

anyone else have good tricks for protecting edges?...I've heard sharpie markers?   anyone have experience?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©