3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: found things in strange places????????  (Read 2125 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
found things in strange places????????
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »
i was day dreaming a bit at work yesterday while driving when a flash of red caught my eye in the drain by the road. straight away i thought to myself, that'll be a coke can. this got me thinking and reminded me of some of the times i've been hunting and found coke cans. some places in the middle of nowhere! i often wondered how they get there. sometimes they come to rest along some remote stretch of waterway. just when you think your the 1st person to step here......coke can.   :mad:

have you found strange things out there? or perhaps you've found something normal but under strange or uncanny circumstances?

i once was scrambling up a little rocky gully,  making my way up to a saddle on a ridge while hunting goats. head down bum up i was, going up,  when suddenly right under my nose was an old rabbit trap. just sitting on a boulder like it had been placed there. not a strange find but i was half way up a mountain in really rocky country! no rabbit in there right mind would be up there. must have been some one in earlier times perhaps using the same saddle that i was to get to the other side.

any memorable finds worth sharing?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: found things in strange places????????
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »
I was hunting elk in Colorado and had back packed in quite a ways. I was going across a little meadow just below timber line and looked down and saw a screw driver. I looked around some more and found five of them. There was nothing around that looked like there would need screw drivers for. I still have them now 35 yrs. later. They are good quality ones as well.

Offline preflex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
^ those are some quality screwdrivers then
Damon Howatt mamba recurve 60# @28"
martin jaguar takedown 40# @28"
"water proof in is water proof out"

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »
Something I find on almost 100% of my trips is old helium balloons. Only one actually had a message card attached to it. It had been part of a school balloon launch of some kind. All the rest have apparently been from athletic events, car dealership openings, weddings, etc.
Those things gotta settle somewhere; and a lot of them seem to settle in the deserts and mountians where I hunt.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »
A section of an Aborigine spearhead, presumably, found near a bubbling little creek where I hunt pigs. It would've made an ideal campsite in ancient times (well, it still does).

TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 03:47:00 AM »
interesting find ben. you can see that hasn't been knapped, instead it has been ground on another rock to form it's edge.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
My Grandfater found a boot with a leg bone in it way back in the Porcupine Mountains in Michigans UP.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
that jogged my memory roger.

i've been hunting in arnhem land once before. i came across a rocky outcrop near a billabong. amongst the rocks were aboriginal rock art and holes in some of the rocks where they had been grinding up seeds.
i've also seen burial caves with complete human skeletons.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline otis.drum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 04:41:00 AM »
Ben, what is that made from? bone? rock?

Clint, could the trap have been taken there by a wedgetail, when a rabbit was in it?
...otis...
_ _ _ _ __________________ _  _  _  _

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »
Yep, it's rock, Otis.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
whats a wedgetail?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
An area in Wyoming where I used to hunt deer was used as a gunnery range in WW2. I have picked up numerous 50 cal cases and links in the area. I wonder how many deer and antelope got strafed by a novice P47 pilot back in the 1940s.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
I came across an RV refrigerator in the middle of some timber I hunt by the Neosho river.  Had a hunch and went upstream about 500 yards and found the remains of a big camper that had been swept away by the flood a year earlier.  What a mess.

Dennis

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
A bow saw on a seriously steep drain in Idaho.  There was no reasonable explanation of it.

This year I found a mound of fresh dirt about the size of a grave, more than 2 miles from a road but only a few hundred yards from a major reservoir here in Indiana.  I thought "Uh,oh" but checked it out anyways.  I didn't find any obvious body but got nervous and quit looking.  I reported it to DNR and they spent hours CSI'ing the scene only to find that it was just a mound of dirt.  Why anyone would have put it there, I haven't a clue.  They did find where it came from though.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Centaur, on that topic, I heard that our Spitfires as well as the American fighters would strafe herds of buffalo on the floodplains near here from time to time. The carnage that would've produced isn't a nice thought.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
This wasn't all that far from civilization but seemed out of place nonetheless...

Offline bvalentine002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Two things come to mind:

There is a 1930's or 1940's car along the North Country Trail near Pictured Rocks in the UP of Michigan. I'm sure thousands of peopl ehave their picture taken by it!

Another "thing" I found was on a backpacking trip in the Grand Tetons:
I stopped by a tree and dug a cathole to take care of business. My plastic trowel hit something sort of hard. It turned out to be a rusted fuel canister wrapped in a plastic bag and burried.  While I appreciated the irony that of all the millions of acres around, I happened to find this one spot and I also appreciated that someone tried to cover up their trash rather than leaving it in plain sight. I did NOT appreciate that some scumbag was depositing such refuse in that beautiful piece of wilderness.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
The Potomac River winds through the area where I live and one day while by the river right after a heavy fall rain a set of Moose antlers came washing down river. Wish I would have jumped in after them in hind sight. Not alot of Moose around here in Maryland!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
iv come across old ceremonial Wood and raw hide drums in a cave on a kopjie (rocky outcrop)

like Clint in never seizes to amaze me were you find cans or in south Africa Coke bottles

i find a lot of stuff snorkeling and diving
silver chains, ear rings, shopping trolleys you know the usual    :D

still waiting to find a pouch of gold and hawkin rifle here in the mountains    :rolleyes:    "[dntthnk]"
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
My father-in-law has some property in the Manzano mountains in NM; we found the remains of an old colt revolver buried there.  We carefully pulled it out, cleaned it, and now have it on display.  No telling who put it there, and boy, if it could talk!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©