3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: found things in strange places????????  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: found things in strange places????????
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tioga:
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
TTT

Love this thread!!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
On a Friday night after work I drove out to the Mojave Desert to do some coyote hunting. It's a 4 hour drive for me so I got out there pretty late and was only interested in finding a place to sleep.
Pulling off a dirt road to a dirt track I found a flat spot, layed out my tarp and sleeping bag and packed it in.
When I got up the next morning the only thing I was initially interested in was watering the bushes. I pulled on my pants and boots and headed for the nearest bush. While there I looked around to see the sights and the first thing I saw was a woman's shirt on the ground nearby. It was fairly new and not covered in dust or leaves. After finishing my watering I wandered over to the shirt and saw some shoes, then socks, then underwear, when pants. I'd found an entire outfit for a somewhat small woman spread over a small area of the desert.
I was pretty worried about what else I'd find but I looked around for quite awhile and didn't find anything else.
I've always worried about finding a body out in the desert and I was thankful that this wasn't the time to find one. But I still don't know why those clothes were laying out there.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I was hunting in a deep canyon in Colorado a few years ago and while climbing over several deadfalls, discovered an old 24SRTX aluminum arrow with a Bodkin head stuck in a log. I assumed someone years earlier had stuck it high in the tree and it had died and fallen over.

I was visiting a friend in Utah once and was showing him how my metal detector worked in his yard. He was impressed when I found several coins and a silver turquoise ring. He decided he had to have a metal detector and became an avid user. A few months later, he and his wife were detecting an old homestead site and found a cache of silver coins. There was over $7000 dollars worth including mostly silver dollars with halves and quarters.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
In 1997 I enlisted in the Army as a Cavalry Scout. My training was conducted at Ft. Knox, KY. During our field portion, I was digging a drainage trench around my shelter half, when I struck metal about a foot down. It ended up being a old rusted horse shoe.

It was hell smuggling it out of boot camp, with all the restrictions then, but I still have it today. I like to think it belonged to the horse of yesterdays Cavalry trooper. I still have it and display it proudly for luck.

While hunting Ive never found anything of significant value, but have always wondered how the junk Ive come across has gotten there. Makes for some healthy deep thought.

Ive never found a "pair" of shoes either......

Great thread
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline jcarter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
I have never really ahd the opportunity to find anything of signifigance while hunting but I have had the opportunity to hunt private property with a metal detector near Gettysburg, PA.

The land that my brother and I were hunting was once a confederate hospital, the property still had the original house and barn! The owener told us that they would operate on the wounded soldiers in the house and she showed us where she was told they would discard all the "waste".

After several hits in the detector we found countless nails, a perfume bottle from paris France with a glass topper in perfect conditon. Then we found several knife or bayonet tips. We assusmed these were tips that were removed from the soldiers and discarded. We only found one bullet, we found over three dozen bayonet tips, it must have been a gruesome fight!
Black Widow PCH 47@28 in
Black Widow PLX 59#@28 in

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
My Dad dropped me off the end of an island and we planned to meet at noon. I'd walk the beach and he would fish out of his boat on the lee side.
After a couple miles I saw a black plastic bag at the storm tide line. Almost afraid to look inside thinking I'd find fish guts or diapers or a human head I found four cans of beer. Tasted pretty good to us at lunch I might add.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Ive never found a "pair" of shoes either......
That reminds me....I did find a just about brand new Herman Survivor boot out in the middle of nowhere once. Wasn't even close to a trail of any kind. 2 years earlier, there was a fella that just disappeared from the face of the earth from a rented motel room in Tioga County.

I notified the DCNR and turned the boot over to them. Never heard anything more about it and they never did find the missing person. He's prolly drinking fine wine and eating fish eggs in France.  :confused:
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
while out on the desert we saw a long pile of rocks.  Assumed it was a grave although there was no marker or anything to indicate thats what it was.  We wouldn't detect the grave but we did around it.  We found 2 45/70 casings the old rim fire type. My buddy then said, Look at all these little nails.  He had about twenty small 1/4 inch rusty brads.  They were found at one end of the pile of rocks.

I said well he must have got two shots off before he was killed him and they buried him with his boots at the end of the grave site.

Thats the only reason we could come up with as a reason for the small large quantity of nails being in one little spot in the middle of no-where.  Funny how ones imagination will run away.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
A few years ago I decided to meet up with a few friends after Church service to scout public land that just opened for public hunting a year or so before we explored it...Well I called my friend and he was running a little late so I decided to just start walking in some pines and as I started in I came across what looked to be a 2 foot by 1 foot metal box...I walked over to it and flipped it over and saw it was a safe with no door...I then thought maybe someone had just threw their junk in the woods so as I started walking around I came across another metal box and thought that can't be another safe..Well I walked over and flipped it over and sure enougth it was...Then like most people would do I looked in the safe and saw a lot of money wrappers and a plastic bin and thought someone must of stole these and as I was looking in the stuff I found a handfull or so of coin left in it...I called my buddy a D.N.R. officer and he called the local Sherrifs department and they came out and took the evidence and asked how much did I keep? The Deputy was a young fella that go's to my church and was kidding me ...A few days later I met a Detective who wanted to meet me in the spot I found them...I grabbed my metal detector and took it with me incase they wanted to look for money or whatever might of got left behind...As I walked the area where I found them the detective said"Would be nice if we could find the door to one of the safe's and it should have a serial number and might find where it came from...Well as we talked I was looking around and I saw something metal under some brances and it was the door to one of the safes...He had to leave and asked if I find any more evidence to call him...I grabbed my metal detector went back in and found a spent .22 cal. bullet head and a combination lock that was cut with bolt cutters...He called me a few weeks later and said he found out where the safes were stolen from ...They were stolen from a Super Soda store several years earlier  about 20 miles away and about $500.00 was taken from the safes if my memory serves me right...I thought it was nice for the detective to share with me what he found out...Sorry for the long story....Keefer's <")))><

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
awesome story Keefer ,thanks for sharing. I bought a metal detector two years ago and been thinking of taking it along to some of the places i hunt but have not done so yet . in fact i only used it once to find my keys in the snow.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
I once found a grenade that was a dud hunting at Stewart air force base.  I told the DEC guy where it was but didn't want to touch it.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
While hunting mulies in the Wasatch Mnt in Utah came upon this little "cave".  Second pic showes a little wood stove and further in there is a five gallon bucket with some cans of food and beer.  futher back there it drops off abouit 10 feet to some old mining stuff under water.  Though it was pretty cool...

1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Found this thread...

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Found myself sitting in an office during hunting season.  :(

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
The other day I was scouting and working my way up a ridge that has alot of benches on it. I had just about gotten to the top of one of the benches, when a deer jumped up from its bed. After it was out of sight, I went to the bed, which was in a depression, and low and behold the deer was laying on a cheap nylon back pack, an blaze orange hat, a blaze orange vest, and a sack that looks like it had an umbrella stasthed in it. Right beside it, was a dandy fold up camo chair stuffed in its case, and a bag of unopened pretzels. These items had been there quite a while, as the vest was rotted and the hat was very faded and the chair was pretty rusted. Of course, this was on state gamelands, so I naturally had to pack out the litter.  :)    ;)    :p  

I'd love to hear the story about this find. I can't imagine why somebody would wear these items to the deer woods, and leave them behind like that.  :confused:
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
This year while hunting the wilderness in the Washington Cascades, I was appointed to be the official balloon finder.  I found 7 or 8 in a weeks hunting, no one else found any.  Couldn't find an elk to save my life, but garbage was aplenty.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
I was working my way down a game trail switchback in the Northern California foot hills of the Sierras following pigs. The vegetation was getting thicker and thicker the lower I got. I heard the sound of moving water below me. It leveled out and suddenly the vegetation changed. I found myself standing in a forest of marijuana, 8 to 9 feet tall. I did something foolhearty. I searched out the growers boobytraps and disarmed them. Went down stream and found the logging road and made my way to my truck and called the State Police and told them what I found. They had me show them and when we got there, about 3 hours after I had been there, they found 20 men hurriedly harvesting and trying to get outta dodge.
Anyway arrests were made and the crop was destroyed.
In the woods in Michigan while squirrel hunting I found a Sears & Roebuck 12 gauge pump shotgun leaning against a tree, next to a pile of squirrels skins with heads and guts and flies.
I guess the hunter had dressed out his limit and put in a cooler and something and absentmindedly forgot the gun. My Dad had a shotgun just like it. In fact it was his one of my older brothers was the absent minded one.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
I was walking down a deer trail here in the U.P. one fall  quite a ways from the nearest gravel road and found 6 old victor 1 1/2 longsprings. My uncle found a rusted canthook sticking out of a beaver dam here too. Another time I was just setting up for a night time coyote hunt and flashed my light where I was gonna sit and found an "el cheapo" buck knife in a sheath.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline FlyFixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I was in a large cypress swamp in North Florida back in the late 70's. I saw something sticking out of a hole full of water. It was a wheel and the main landing gear leg of an aircraft. The water hole was the crater where the plane crashed. Found some more pieces, one had a date stamp of 1941. This was a couple of miles from the closest road.
I called the local FAA office and they had no record of a crash in that area. They said it was most likely an old military training aircraft for World War 2. Oh yeah, there was a real nice rub line about 10 yards from the crash. Never did get that buck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©