3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: found things in strange places????????  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: found things in strange places????????
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Hunted a slope in eastern Oregon years ago. As usual, looking at the ground when I should have been looking ahead. Found an empty cartridge in a long obsolete caliber. A few steps later, I found an obsidian arrow head. Felt like I was in the right place.

As far as things like a bow saw being on a slope where they had not reason to be, don't for get that an item dropped on crusty snow can slide for half a mile or more if the way is clear.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
I have 2 once while scouting a mountain side in WV a good 2 miles from anywhere.I found a grunt call sticking out of the end of a hornets nest.Hanging a good 18,20 feet up.

Another time again in
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Sorry about that.
  Another time in WV high up in a sattle on a ridge I found a snapping turtle skull.No ponds,lakes,or rivers for miles.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2009, 01:55:00 AM »
On a grizzly hunt back in 1987 in the Nebesna mountains in Alaska I found a old 4 wheel drive vehicle.  It was just about 100 miles from the nearest road.  

On the same trip I also found a cabin that I spent the night in.  It was raining cats and dogs and I was thankful.  There was a newspaper on the table dated 1973. Left the cabin like I found it.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
I found a rifle once; a nice one that someone dropped that day in the snow after killing a spike bull elk. Reported it to the sheriffs dept.

My son found a pop can in the mountains; way up high on an old overgrown logging road. It had teeth marks in it; and the top of the can had not been opened.
  I had left it there years and years before.
I spent the night on that old logging trail; and woke up before light and found that a bear had bitten into the only liquid I had; the two cans of diet pop. They were laying next to me a foot or so away- as I slept.
  I figured leaving the cans was like a monument to my ability to sleep good. I normally to not litter - but this was in my mind something different. Kudos to my progeny.
                ~~~~~ and ~~~~~~
  I found my truck once after 3 nights- in below zero temperatures.    :rolleyes:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by sendero25:
I saw a deer once.
:biglaugh:    Good point.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
I found a model T door sticking out both sides of a large tree trunk once. No tree crotch so it couldn't have had the tree grow around it.

There was a very old man living close by and I asked him about it. He said there was an extremely powerful tornado that came through the valley in the 20s or 30s that destroyed the area and pierced a lot of the remaining trees with debris.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
Hunting the Catkills when I was kid(tagged along with dad) we came across an old, HUGE, ceramic doll stuck in a tree. It was spooky for a kid!

I found a sickle blade when I retrieved my arrow from my last bow kill(wheelie).

I find garbage all too often.

Locally there are two old school buses way out in the woods. Tehy were deer camps, way back in the day.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »

Saw this while searching in vain for an elk this year. The Forest Reserves were designated in 1891, and became national forests in 1907. This old benchmark has been around a while.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
While tracking a deer I shot on "Lanb Between The Lakes" my dad was kneeling down looking for blood and about 2" from his hand was an old aluminum arrow shaft with a rusty bear razorhead on the front end.  Thought that was kind of cool.

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
was out rifle hunting one year and foud a 6mm clip fully loaded,guess whoever lost it was out of luck for the day unless it was a spare. me and my son were out metal detecting out behind the farm in the field and he walks up and says daddy is this an arrowhead,sure enough it was and a real good one at that.
Richard Battistoni

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
The paperboy found two deer rifles laying on the berm, one Sunday morning in November. My friend and his dad drove about 60 miles to go deer hunting and then had to turn around and drive home when they discovered they had no weapon to use.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
I wish someone would come and walk around the woods where I hunt and see if they can find my ability to kill deer with a bow…I seem to have lost it November of 2006 when I shot my last one with a compound.  
I switched to traditional the next year.

Seriously…I hunt near Greenville, MI…I can give directions!  :readit:  

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
-While hunting about 5 miles deep on a mountain near Hope Alaska I bent down to tie my boot and found a Marijuana pipe.  I found an old gold mine about 40 yards from there.

I've found several cheap knives including the Swiss army knife my uncle gave me as a kid twice.  Still havn't found it a 3rd time. If you do let me know!

The most important thing I have found is my soul   :cool:  

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I found half an Indian pot while boat hunting once. It was aged at over 3000 years.

and a lot of old graves.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
How about this old wagon wheel with a tree growed around it..RC

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
I've searched and dreamed of finding cool stuff but never have.  I found an old holster in the remains of an old trappers cabin when I lived in the Alaskan bush.  I used it for the bill on my marten hat.

Can't really see the bill in this shot but that's the hat I made.  Warmest hat I've ever worn too...

Some freinds of mine found a Browning High-Wall in 45-70 in the Chatanika river.  Pretty rusted but I think they were able to get it working again.

Great thread!!  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Hey Todd how did you get the martin?
I found an old gold mine claim sheet stuck in a tobacco tin and nailed to a tree on a moutain in MONTANA and a set of dentures just across the drainage. A friend found a newhouse bear trap that got scratched up by a dozer cutting a new logging rd. That was sweet. I found also three knives, and lost two.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
A few artifacts from MD,WV and NV.30 rd M16 magazine from the mountains of Northern California a few miles from the military's mountain warfare school.

The revolver frame was determined to be a pocket Colt percussion revolver from the mid-1800's-Montana.

The pipe looking thing is a surveyer's lock level,that I found,half buried in the dirt under a very low,sort of rock cave in a remote area of the WV mountains.I crawled under there looking for bobcat sign.It is solid brass and the level's glass vial with bubble are still good.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Chuck, I trapped them.  I was living in the bush up there.  I trapped of, five or six that winter.  Shot one with my bow and one with a .44 mag.

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©