3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: found things in strange places????????  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: found things in strange places????????
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Great thread, I've been enjoying this for days. Never know what you'll find out there but thing I can guarantee is you ain't gonna find it sitting around the house.
The best thing I ever found in the woolies is a few great places to set and watch the wind blow by.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
I was elk hunting on Elk creek in the white river NF in Colorado.  I had hiked down to the creek from Buttermilk trail head.  It started getting dark and I needed a good place to sleep with some type of cover because I did not bring a tent.  As I was walking along the creek I saw a small ledge about 10 feet up on the side of a rock wall.  There was a crack in the rock that would allow me to climb up to the ledge and maybe sleep there out of the weather.  It only looked about 3 foot wide from the ground.  By the time I figured out how to get up it was dark.  With my flashlight in me teeth I climbed up to find a sardine can with a piece of cloth and wax. I think that is the most amazing thing to think some one else had the same idea years ago.
capt eddie

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
A friend of mine in the bush of Alaska left a Jimmy Lyle knife sitting on a rock.  He didn't remember it until too many miles of lining the canoes upriver.  That was a sweet knife too.  Maybe one you you all found it...

I had a canoe capsize on the Pigeon river and lost a nice bottle of...  

...firewater.      :smileystooges:   todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
LOL at the shoes!  I once found a pair of smoking hot black high heels way back in the woods.  I had a great time trying to imagine how they came to be there.   :saywhat:  

I have found the remains of turpentine and logging operations, arrowheads, glass electrical insulators, and assorted other cool artifacts from homesteads and campsites.  One of the coolest things that I have found was the top part of an old crock.  Only a little piece was sticking out of the clay.  I dug it out and this was my treasure:

Moonshiners?
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
I found this just north of Mandan, ND where i grew up. I think it is definatly a tooth, but too big for anything that i have seen around there, it is old too. I think it might be an old mountain lion tooth?

I drilled the hole for a necklace when i was a kid, i wish i wouldn't have done that now.

"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
I've pulled up a couple interesting things on the anchor rope while fishing. One was a small "rock" that had a near perfect fossilized sea shell. Another was a huge old anchor from I'm guessing a commercial fishing boat. It had to be very old judging from the style and the fact the area hadn't been fished commercially in a good 50+ years.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
I seem to find old bottles.  My treasure is an old "Sloans Linament" cork top type bottle found years ago way out from the roads... Also found a "swamp root" Kidney Liver and Bladder Cure cork type bottle.  Many, many insulators of about every color.  I always pick them up for my collection of "stuff"...

In Colorado in the early 80s while half way through a 40 mile week long hike we came upon a abandoned camp miles and miles from nowhere.  Tent was destroyed (by weather) but everything from clothes to camp items were scattered in the area.  I've always wondered what happened to those campers...?
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Allegan Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 03:31:00 AM »
I have also been enjoying this one for several days.

I have found nothing but have enjoyed reading about everyone elses.

Please keep them coming!
Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellence is not a single act, but a habit. ---Aristotle

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
We go west every winter for 3 months.  Found many arrowheads, manos, matate's and pottery shards.  We also metal detect. Found several pre-1870's 45/70 and 45/60 casings, mules shoes, pony shoes and old horse shoes.  We find an ocasional military button.  It's always fun as the kids love to go through our "stuff" that we find.

Went to a  world war one encampment and found many rifle casings and some french machine gun casings.  I did locate a 1910 seated liberty dime once in that same location.

We never leave home without our detectors in the truck.  I found an old trappers cabin in the U.P. of Michigan once and found 9 wood ticks all over me during the course of two days so you do have to be careful!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Go to Bear Creek campgrounds near Quincy IL and look up in one of the old cottonwoods in the first campsite to the right. You'll see the "marker" for broken arrow campsite.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
TTT

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Hey Tom.  I used to hunt Bear creek lots of years ago.  I liked that place.
ChuckC

Offline High Knob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
A grave stone from 1806. I asked the landowner and he said it was a french soldier that left the army after the war for indepedence, become an American  and once farmed that very land. I hunted twenty feet away from his final resting place.

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Somebody found $4000 at a book store in Anchorage the other day. As for me I have a hard time finding myself some days. My father has found some pretty neat stuff. He has found several cannon balls, hand fulls of ammo led and casings, an old lever action rifle (all the wood was gone). My grandfather found an old pistol in the middle of a cow path he was trailing his cows down. I think it was a military issue 45 semi auto. My dad was looking at it one day and thought it something look odd. The hammer was locked and rusted back so he put it in a oil bath for a year and finally slid the action back and a live round fell out. There was no clip in the gun, but I guess that could have fallen out over the years being kicked around by cows. Thanks for the entertainment
Olin

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Here (in AZ) where I do most of my hunting signs of earlier people are always around.  I think the old adobe buildings and dry laid stone walls give me the most to think about.  I have sat next to them and tried to imagine what they were like when people used them.  I think the walls bring me the most inspiration as they are usually back up in a canyon where there is water year round and sometimes I find rock art.  I have only found 1 knapped head in 26 years here in the southern part of AZ up north there are a lot of obsidian points and flakes.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Along that same line, Michael, when I was a kid I worked on my uncle's farm a couple of summers near Wilcox, Az. We found numerous metates ( Indian grinding stones). I have seen them now in antique stores for hundreds of dollars. Oh well....
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
While a friend and I were packing my raft back to the water over a rocky beach on Admiralty Island, I noticed a odd shaped rock. On the trip back to get our hunting gear, I dug out the object, which turned out to be a Native Alaskan stone maul. It was used in conjunction with stone wedges to make Sitka Spruce planks. Couldn't have been used much, as it was in perfect shape. Maybe it was lost when a canoe tipped over?

My wife turned it in to the State Museum. It's the smooth, dark one in the upper left:

Chuck

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
About 15 years ago I was hunting Porter Mt. in Colorado and decided to take a long walk around the beast which is about a 10 mile afternoon jaunt.  Half way around I found a GPS.  Back then few  folks had them.  I am assuming they made it out ok :-)

Also on that same hunting trip I found three different weather balloons, two still had their payload intact.  

The talk around camp that trip was around what I would find next...it turns out almost anything except elk.

Also when I built my house 5 years ago, we found a perfect arrowhead in the yard when we seeded it.  That was extra cool considering we stripped and then replaced the topsoil after building.  Always thought that was the perfect sign.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
i
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tioga:

i often wondered how they get there. sometimes they come to rest along some remote stretch of waterway. just when you think your the 1st person to step here..
I think I may have connected with a primitive hunter from the past. It was a cold January day, with a foot of snow that had an inch of crust on it. Sneaking was out of the question, so I was carting my flinter and quietly working my way up through a small brook that flows from a mountain here in Tioga County. About a mile into the hunt, I looked down and spied what looked like an antler tip protruding through the sandy streambottom.

Sure enough, it was this antler. The tips had been worked to a sharp point, and the other end was somehow drilled out in an oblong shape.

[/b]
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©