3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what gives us hunters a bad name?  (Read 999 times)

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
what gives us hunters a bad name?
« on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
It makes me sick every time I think about it..This guy is a regular at a archery shop I know, and he killed a doe the other night.He comes into the archery shop with the doe talking about how many he saw that night and how he killed this doe  then he asked if any of us wanted it? He said that his family wont eat deer meat and that he didnt have time to fool with it because he had to go into work early so that he could get off the next morning before daylight because he was going back to hunt the same spot..I asked him why he was going back if he or his family didnt eat deer?? He replied that he still has 2 more deer tags to fill.. He is legal to kill more deer but why?? if you dont eat it?? He was talking about how far the shot was and how powerful his bow was.  A wheelie bow by the way. I just dont understand people  but what I did understand that night is why I was always taught to pray before you eat.. It never really hit me until that night. A animal has been killed so that we may survive.. respect the game we hunt

Offline Maxflight

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what gives us hunters a bad name?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
You just have to realize that not everyone is going to feel the same as most of us. My neighbor is the same way. He loves to hunt but his family refuses to eat anything that doesn't come from the store. Just be thankful that this guy wanted to see the meat get used rather than go to waste.
The measure of a man is by his actions, not his words.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Wanton waste is illegal in many....if not all states.

But to answer your question "WE" do.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
I agree with Maxflight i hunt with a guy who is a great outdoorsman and kills a lot of deer. He always takes care of the meat but as far as i know he never has eaten the deer he kills. In the county i hunt in there are a lot of people who struggle to put food on the table and they are always thrilled when he gives them the meat from the deer. I dont see any problem with a guy who loves to hunt but doesnt eat what he kills.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
I donate at least 2 deer to the food pantry (if I get enough of my own) Missouri has a program where they pay for part of the processing if you donate it to the food bank. So I buy the extra tags and pay $45 for the process on as many as I don't use that I can get. I like to hunt, and it'a a way to give thanks for what I have and the blessing of being able to (still) live in a country where I can hunt, and put food on the table for my family. BTW my wife won't eat deer because she's afraid of wasting disease. My boys, on the other hand, do it justice! None goes to waste. Even the dog eats the heart, lungs, liver.

God must be a great who created deer!

Sam

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I don't think the problem is that he killed the deer with intentions of giving it away, as several of us, including myself, do give some away to people in need.  The problem is he took the animal without having someone to give the meat to ahead of time so if no one would have taken it, it would have been wasted.  All said he basically just killed the deer to be killing it.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
The more people I meet the more I love my dogs...

I agree with Gordon. He killed it not knowing ahead of time what to do with it. What if no one takes it, then what. At least line up a food pantry program or someone to give it to.

To me there's a long list of things that make us look bad. This being one of them. Another one is most of the hunting shows on TV.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
I agree with Buckeye,
I give two or three does away every year but always have place for them before season gets here, as far as the title of your post... What gives hunters a bad name is parading thru town with that deer hanging out of the back of the truck or strapped to rack of a four wheeler on a trailer, going into a public place covered in blood and being an ignorant braggard like the fellow your talking about.
We all like to tell our story but we need to do it with taste and respect and not flaunt it to those who don't really want to hear it. JMO
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
your right  buckeye that was not his intention. he said that that if anyone didnt want it that it was coyote food.. I have no problem with donating meat to those who will eat it..  I have dont that many of times but before killing a deer I always know who I can give it to if I cant use it

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I agree a hunter should always be responsible after he takes a animal. Sounds like he needs to find someone who needs the meat so he will have a plan next time he kills something. I know at least 10 people who would love to have some fresh deer meat and dont mind paying to have it processed.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by hydrasport205:
He was talking about how far the shot was and how powerful his bow was.  A wheelie bow by the way.  
I understand what you're saying, but using the "power" of one's equipment to justify taking what are generally seen as poor shots is far from exclusive to modern bowhunters. I’ve read numerous threads and posts over the past few days on other sites where folks with recurves and longbows are bragging about trying to shoot big game animals in all sorts of questionable ways: pointed away and through the pelvis, head-on, quartering-toward and through the shoulder bones etc. I know rifle hunters who wouldn’t even take some of these shots, yet when someone brags about doing it with a “magic arrow/broadhead combination” the response I usually hear is the chirping of crickets.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Respect. Upright actions and proper reverence due from all creatures to the creator. Humility. Kindness.

I could go on and on. There are a lot of attributes seriously lacking in this world.

Please read the quote I use as a signature.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers..." A.Leopold

That is, of course, unless you open yourself up like an idiot to critizism. I invite folks over for dinner, serve them something out of this world, and then wait for them to ask me questions. You'd be surprised how many hearts are softened to hunting via this approach. Otherwise, I keep my mouth shut (it's a survival strategy in Comifornia) Sounds like that "hunter" needs some attention.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
What difference does it make if the KILLER eats it or not....

There are a lot of hunters that do kill deer, and never eat a bite of it....me included.

I do not like venison, never have, never will, but I ALWAYS, skin, and dress the animal then give the meat to a landowner, or Hunters Feeding the Hungry programs.

At least the guy you're running down was attempting to find someone who wanted or needed the meat.

Get off your soapbox.

Billy

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
No one is on the soap box and no one is saying that it is wrong to give the meat away.  We are saying it was wrong to shoot it without someone to give the meat to before hand.  if he hadn't found someone to take it he would have let it go to waste.  Read all the post!

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
I did read ALL the post, and I have personally killed game without having someone to give it to at that particular moment, but have yet not been able to find someone happy to have in short order.

Billy

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
In the UK hunting has got a very seriously bad reputation simply because anti's perceive hunters to be killing things just for the sake of killing something.  If you want to add more anti's to the anti stable then there's nothing more encouraging for them than people killing for killing's sake.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I donate most of the deer i kill to either family or friends that need it.  I have "wheelie" bow friends who are some of the most ethical hunters/people i know.  Waste is waste regardless of the choice of weapon.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Respect... Humility. Kindness.

Like I said, sorely lacking in the world today.

No one is on a "soap box", let's remember the rules of TradGang and why it is that folks like me visit this place on a very regular basis. That's right, folks like me. I pay particular attention to my actions and the ways in which I have an affect on people. I fear that far too many couldn't give a rat's butt.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
You are correct NCH. Fortunately, there are some people in the world who still have some of the mentioned attributes.

Take up target archery if you don`t eat what you kill.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©