3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want serious answers.  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
Want serious answers.
« on: October 02, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I have wanted to elk hunt since I knew what an elk was. For those of you that have made it happen how did you do it? I'm not talking about guys who had no problems going but just didn't want to spend the $$$$. I am talking about you guys that pulled off a miracle so to speak. I have offered to go as camp cook if they would let me hunt every other day and everything else I could think of but no dice. It's driving me crazy. Thanks.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want serious answers.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
the two biggest costs will be getting here and back home again and your non res licenses.
you thought about doing a backpack hunt? OTC DIY
or plenty of places to set up a camp and hunt out of there everyday

would also be worth finding someone local to hunt with you so you can share fuel and travel costs
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Not sure what you are getting at.  Is it a finance issue or what?  You could easily go on a very nice elk hunt for less than what it would cost to take a week long family vacation.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Not sure what part would be the miracle of going.  Are you looking for someone to show you the ropes?  Or just point you to where the elk are?  Just not sure what you are asking.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Part of it is just telling yourself. . .   you are going.  Pick a year, then start your homework.  The homework is not that hard.  Tag will cost you no matter how you go,  and in Colorado, you can always get an OTC cow tag for half price.  No, you can't shoot a bull, but you can certainly chase them and get the full impact of an elk hunt in the mountains.  There is plenty of room to hunt in Colorado.  Gas.   well, it costs and that price is not dependable.  Go with a partner and it costs half as much.  Go with two and it is a third.

If you can camp at all. there you go.  You can camp at your vehicle with all the gear you need, or you can go in after them.   Folks do it both ways and still see animals.
ChuckC

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I would suggest driving out and back so you can use your truck as a base camp etc. Most units have some great places that you can base out of using a truck that during bow season do not see a lot of use. How I always do a trip/vacation adventure is make it as close to cost as I would spend while staying at home. ie" except for missing work. and fuel and tags my costs are the same as if home- I buy my food locally before leaving and re-package it and pre-make meals and freeze them. I eat the same as if at home more or less. Again the idea is to keep cost down and its the little things that add up to $ if you aren't careful. An outfitter has no incentive to give a guy like you a break when simply by your situation you will not be bringing him future business, as far as he can tell.  Also, if you are young come out west and make it your home. I did and the first year got with an outfitter as a guide. I already had a lot of hunting experience and was a wilderness river guide that summer. So they liked my chances and it was great for both of us.
OR,
I can help you plan how to set up your kit so you won't be sorry you drove out. I led trips for 7 days with up to 30 guests and trust me, you learn how to put together a great system, or should I say the outfitter had and I learned from them.
You only live once, make the most of it. Take the chance.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Kentucky is one of my elk hunting dreams. You're lucky to have a healthy bunch of good bulls. Check with state game office for a place near you.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Take a second job and save up the dollars.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
If you are concerned about cost, I hunted Colorado for 6 days, (non-resident) this year. Not counting gear which I will reuse (Lord willing). I think it cost me about $1200. I bought a bull license for $540. Gas was about $250. Food was kept very simple, but you are going to eat whether you hunt or not - right? Hot soup, sandwiches, trail mix, water, coffee.

Never having bowhunted there before, I am sure I could do a better job of it next time. We did not get an elk, but had our chances. Certainly had a great time anyway. The homework is part of the fun, I think. I'd do it again, I know that. And if the results are the same- that's OK too.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
i think this may be a needing to be taught scenario.any info you need just ask and you will be rewarded....if you want to be the designated camp cook at the tradganger 2010 hunt then so be it....i officially dub thee camp cook/elkhunter for the 2010 tradganger elk hunt in eastern oregon.....pooooofffff.....that easy....pm me buddy
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
....and there ya go....  :thumbsup:    :D
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Nice offer Elkherder! There you go, Benha, you're on your way. Do it now, 'cause you're not getting any younger. Commit to it,and start getting in shape. MnFn is right, the homework IS part of the fun. I've only hunted elk once, but have chased mulies a bunch of times and regardless of the outcome, it's all good. The Colorado cow elk tag is the least expensive route, tag wise. My son and a good friend of his just graduated from college this past May. Unable to find a job in their fields of study, they've both been working the summer jobs that got them through school. It dawned on them that they may never have a BETTER time to take a vacation. So,despite their meager wages,they headed West for a DIY mule deer hunt. Neither has ever hunted out of Wisconsin before, but with some suggestions from TradGang members, they dove into it head first, and had a blast. If they can pull it off, so can you. Go for it, and good luck. Once you do it, you'll never be the same.

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
If it's a dollar issue, google Dave Ramsey.  Study his ideas, they'll help the rest of your life.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
With all this info you have me thinking about nabbing an elk.  And for $1250.  I was able to make that in 6 months mowing 1 lawn and returning cans from the neighbors who like to party.

Set aside a savings account and stick 15 or 20 a paycheck in there. Also add whatever mula you make on the side. IE scrap metal, selling odds and ends (garage sale...) You would be amazed how quickly you come up with the money.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
I was invited to hunt elk in Colorado a few years ago. Like you, I had dreamed about hunting elk as long as I can remember. This hunt cost me about $2500 with plane ticket(about $500), either sex license(about $500), a rental car, and hunting cloths(didn't know what to expect at 10,000'), backpack, sleeping bag and shipping my stuff out and back. I could do it a lot cheaper now...if I had the $ to do it this year.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
If you don't take Elkherder up on his offer, you might not ever get a better chance.  If the military doesn't affect my plans, I'll be with him as well.  I have a 5 man army tent (thanks Gene!), I can provide the transportation as the airport is a 20min drive from my house, and whatever shooting supplies you may need to include arrows and bows.  Provide airfare, a $360 non-resident tag, and food for yourself, and we'll provide the rest!

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »
OB
Glad your happy with the tent. Did Momma like it ok even though it had No Floor.  If you have the time and a Wash west side elk tag maybe we can put a hunt together in Dec.  Give me a call.

Gene  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I have worked a couple of side jobs trying to put it together and have sold a couple of articles that is going in the pot. Elkherder thanks and I WILL be in touch.OB sounds great.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
I decided when I was about 23 I guess to go mule deer and elk to Colorado and solo hunt. I asked around and was told the Weminuche was one of the toughest areas to hunt and I loved that thought - hundreds of thousands of acres of no vehicles sounded great to me so I bought a map, looked at access points and possibilites and set the opening weekend date.

I bought a muley tag and started my hike in which was my first ever solo hunt. It was tough, and I found myself on the side of a mtn in a cold pouring rain spending a very long lonley night. Next morning I hunted til noon, found amazing ammounts of elk sign and got the heck off that mtn and hunted closer to roads area. I killed a muley doe and then back to Arkansas I went.

I explained it to my hunting buddy and he said "lets go!" so I turned back around in a day's time and back driving to Colorado we went.

We back packed into the area I'd seen the elk sign and had a fabulous 6-7 days of hunting, but didn't tag an elk. Close calls, missed shots - long story.

SO back to Arkansas and he asked what I was doing that next week and I had taken it off and he said "why don't you drive back out there and hunt again? and I did !

Drove BACK to Colorado for the 3rd time in as many weeks, backpacked in and killed a nice little 5x5.

I've since hunted elk a dozen or more years, tagged several, one pretty nice one and I've learned a ton and experienced so much .... I didn't hunt this year but will next.

Determination sets successful elk hunters apart from the 80% that don't ever tag elk.

BTW after this summer (I had a tough summer) I'm dedicated to going to the elk mtns in 2010 and solo backpack hunt. Me, myself, my way, my time, on my terms, just me and the mtns and the elk.

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
There's some great people here....good for you Benha!!  This is my dream hunt as well.  I'm slowly but surely putting the pieces together to make it happen.  I'm thinking summer 2010 if I stay focused.  I have a really good connection in Crested Butte...

I'll be following this one and I wish all the elk hunters the best of luck...

CJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©