3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 30+ mph Cornfield Hunt  (Read 590 times)

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
30+ mph Cornfield Hunt
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
(Note: if the mods can enlarge these photos slightly that would be great; I have the worst luck with Photobucket.)

Last nite it was blowing 30+ mph and my intended destination was blocked by a train.  So Plan B but that property doesn't really have great options for a hard NW wind this time of year.  But...I thought I'd scout out the end rows of this cornfield and possibly get a doe without ever entering the timber.  And then if that was a bust, I'd sit in a distant spot, watch the SE portion of this circular field, and if I saw a worthy buck enter the field jog up there and try to stalk him.  This field is really grassed in and a mess, and the three does and two fawns I saw were able to see me at the same instant I saw them, all at 10 yards or under.  Exciting, but I wasn't going slow enough or something.  Plus doing all that looking up and down rows gives me a feeling very much like tight circles on a bush plane.  Seriously.

With about a half hour left I got to a spot to watch the SE portion, expecting to maybe see deer enter from downwind.  With maybe just 5 minutes left I saw what looked to be a buck that's on my 'hit list' bounding through the foxtails and junk that borders that part of the field (low spot that got too wet).  Using the wind and lt. rain, I jogged up to within about 40 yards and then stalked in from there, and tried to find the buck.  After a couple anxious minutes all of a sudden RIGHT THERE is the buck, upwind and approaching an opening I can slip an arrow through.  My longbow comes up and a shaft is on its way.  I definitely hear a hit and the buck just shoots airborne, and then bounds off unhurriedly, out of view within a few short yards.  And this worried me, another big animal bulldozed out of there in a different direction.  Did I shoot the right animal?  I didn't know there were two.  And then it's dark.  

I'm standing where the deer was, and the camera is where I was.

I tie some ribbon where I stood, and tiptoe to where the buck was and tie some there.  It turns out to be 10 yards.  Very quietly I search for sign and end up finding three drops of blood and stomach matter; the arrow is located and while it's very bloody it too smells badly.  Darn.  And it is still just lightly raining.  I don't have any other options so I sneak out and go home.  Fortunately, the rain is petering out so just maybe.

I'm back in first thing this morning, hunting a stand on this same property, planning to stay for an hour and then get out and start looking.  Well, I end up getting pinned down by two bucks that hung around forever.  Their third buddy stayed out of range, so I can only count the 1x1 and 90ish 4x4 as "could haves" in my book.  The one that stayed out of range looked to be a 110" 4x4.

Finally they left so I first walked the entire 1/2 mile length of the slough ditch in case he went to water.  No luck and that meant he was probably in this 140-acre quagmire of a cornfield.     :(     Despite the rain quitting shortly after I left (and guessing it didn't do much overnite), there was no more blood to be located and the three spots I had found were gone and the bloody arrow I'd left at the spot (on purpose to gauge sign) was washed up fairly clean.  This was gonna be real tough.

Here's what the field looks like, so you know why I checked the water first.  

First I walked the downwind perimeter, hoping to catch a whiff that would lead me to the deer.  No luck.   So then I just guessed which E/W corn row he might've taken, ribboned my starting point, and walked down it probably 150-200 yards.  I really could only monitor two rows on either side of my row and there was nothing.  I ribboned my stopping point, and then moved five rows to the south, ribboned it off again, and walked back and a bit later found my buck.  Relief and thanks!  

Here's the view that warmed my cold heart.

That's the good (miraculous) news.  Bad news is that coyotes or something had found him in in the interim and his back quarters were gone and the rest of him was pretty warm and stinky.  I wasn't able to save much meat, but with a gut shot in a cornfield I didn't have any choice last night.  At least the cape is in great shape (anybody want a beautiful, big cape because I'm probably just gonna do a skull mount?).

I am quite happy with this big, heavy, wide bruiser.  Especially in the manner I took him, 10 yards from the ground in a cornfield while many were sitting it out.  In retrospect I probably was pushing my luck hunting that close to the final buzzer given the light rain; consolation is that the little critters gotta eat too and that I did recover most of him.  

Pronghorn takedown longbow and Woodsman head.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30+ mph Cornfield Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Good job on staying with it.  Congrats on your buck!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
good job.dont ever give up looking for animals,if you dont push them they usually dont go far

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Great job on a nice buck.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Another great buck Bryce...congrats on a great start to this season!

Bryan
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Congrats great job on the find.  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Congrats and a fine job!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Very nice buck, glad for you! Congratulations!
Steve.

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Good job sticking with it.
Toelke Whip
Assenheimer Hunter Deluxe
"We don't stop playing because we are old.  We are old because we stop playing."  Ben Franklin

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
awesome job bryce!! im sure it wont be your last of the season!!

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Awesome...I always enjoy your stories!!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Bryce,

Is this one you've had your eye on with trail cam pics ect?

Old Woodsman or new Elite?

You are certainly the early season MAN!  Heck, you are early, mid, and late season MAN!  Another thick one.  What do you think he would have weighed?

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Great Hunt, Bryce! I love hunting in the corn! Only problem now is the farmers are planting double row corn here! Good shootin, Steve  :thumbsup:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Great job! Congrats.  :thumbsup:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Congrats!!!

We COULD enlarge them....but they would be pixelated and not be clear.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Congrats on a real nice buck!!  Great job on the recovery.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Right on!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
NICE JOB! GREAT HUNT! CONGRATS!
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Good job Bryce!!  I always like reading your stuff, it's very informative and helpful because I hunt similar terrain here.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©