3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaska trip to meet Sarah Palin and I bumped into these two guys  (Read 843 times)

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaska trip to meet Sarah Palin and I bumped into these two guys
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
what a day you had!!! great job!!

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Man, THAT is AWESOME!!! Congrats!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Okay, I just got back from Church and I've got some time to share some of the details of this hunt.  I'll try to hit the headlines so the story doesn't get too long.

The first time I met my Alaska hunting partner (Kevin Dill) was in 2001 on a caribou hunt in the NWT at Mackay Lake.  We ended up in the same cabin and teamed up hunting caribou together the entire time.  We hit it off right from the start and at the end of the hunt, Kevin invited me to his home in SE Ohio to hunt big whitetail.  After giving the invitation some serious thought (0.5 seconds), I accepted the invitation and the rest is history!  As Kevin mentioned in his post, we have been very fortunate to go on some great hunts together since 2001 and I am extremely blessed to have a hunting partner as generous as Kevin.  

This was our third moose hunt together.  The first was a guided hunt in the Yukon.  I came home with some great memories and Kevin had memories, a moose and a black bear he stalked and shot at 5 yards!  "Mr. Yukon" became his designated title when we arrived back in Whitehorse.  The last two moose hunts have been unguided affairs in Alaska.  We both love the freedom of unguided hunts.  We would typically split up each day and hunt in different directions...knowing that when an animal hits the ground, it becomes a team sport.  

On September 8th, our pilot decided I would fly in first since I'm lighter    :)    along with some gear.  He buzzed the "landing strip", and I remember saying to myself, there is no way he is going to land this super cub on that narrow strip of rocky river bar.  

A couple of minutes later, we were unloading gear and he was asking me to help him turn the super cub around so he could go pick up Kevin.  Shortly, Kevin arrived and we finished setting up camp.  

9/9/09 - Kevin headed down river and I crossed the river and climbed to get some elevation and glass the valley.  After a couple of hours, I spotted two great caribou traveling the edge of the river.  I snuck down and began my stalk.  I was able to reach the rivers edge undetected but the caribou kept moving as they were feeding and the thick cover prevented me from being able to keep up with them.  I crossed the river and looked up a small ditch just in time to see three other caribou walking in my direction.  Things happened fast, I picked out the largest bull and 35 yards later I knelt down next to a nice caribou on our first day of hunting.  I was pinching myself because things don't normally come to me this easily (it took me three trips to Mackay Lake before I got my first caribou).  

9/14/09 - Kevin headed down river where he was seeing some huge moose and several caribou.  I decided to hunt a bluff 300-400 yards behind camp in the valley.  The bluff provided great visibility with minimal disturbance.  After 15 minutes, I cow called and received an immediate response.  I could hear the bull racking his antlers and snapping brush.  He was coming in fast and I hurried my way down the bluff to get closer to the edge that served as a natural funnel.  I tucked myself behind a scrub spruce tree and then caught a glimpse of him tearing up some brush.  As I predicted, he was walking towards the edge of the bluff and I knew the moment of truth was fast approaching.  As he approach a narrow opening, I started to draw my longbow...instantly, he stopped behind some brush and I didn't have a shot.  I was at quarter draw and I wasn't about to let down.  Fortunately, he started walking and grunting so I let him walk past me for a quartering away shot.  At 18 yards, I finished my draw, released and saw the arrow penetrate the ribs perfectly behind the shoulder.  I ran back up the bluff to gain visibility but before I could raise my binoculars, I heard the bull crash and take a final breath.  The bull only traveled 60-75 yards and it actually ran towards camp!  Before long, I was kneeling next to my first moose, pinching myself again and thanking God for such a fantastic animal!  

I blew on an airhorn to signal Kevin and we met back at camp.  He asked if everything was okay and I told him today "moose hunting" was going to be a team sport!  Thanks again Kevin for helping out with the all-day meat chores!

Equipment Notes:
61# Cari-bow Featherhorn Take-down longbow
Fir arrows
145 grain Eclipse broadhead

Have a great season!

Bryan
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Great story & pix, but I want to know if Sarah Palin is as hot as She looks on TV & the Web?

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Incredible pics and success!  Congrats.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Greg Owen - Yes, I was keeping an eye on Russia   :)  

Joevan125 - I'm trying to get my oldest daughter through college so I can't afford to adopt you

SWP - I love Sitka Gear for "active" style hunts...we actually had very nice weather and the Ascent clothing was perfect.  I think the Optifade pattern did pretty well   :)  

AkDan - thanks for the kind offer

Ethan, Indianabowman, Mysticguido - Sarah stood me up so I guess I'll have to go back to Alaska next year   :)
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
She is the Ex - Governor of Alaska, She is also a hunter/fishing person and a all out fighter for the outdoors.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Wonderful pictures and story !!!

Memories of a lifetime.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Man, I'm greeen with envy.  Congrats.

Dennis

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Holy smokes, what an awesome trip! Thanks for the pictures.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
You're an amazing hunter Bryan    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
awesome story Bryan!!!...is that the 6 man kifaru?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
Wow! Awesome animals! Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
My memories of this hunt: I would go hunting and then Bryan would notify me he'd just shot something with big antlers. I would take the pictures, and then the chores would start. Repeat!

I've always had a good time just being in great country and hunting. Alaska is definitely a team sport for us, and so I share Bryan's sense of satisfaction and accomplishment! Taking two great animals with a longbow...on your own...in Alaska...that's a grandslam homerun in my book. Now it's time to find a bruiser whitetail...!

AkDan: That's an 8-man Kif tipi.

Kev

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Congrats!!!!!  Great job and thanks for sharing!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Wow says it all! Great hunt Bryan-you da man!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Flat out Amazing! Congrats to the team!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Sarah said she was sorry she didn't get to meet you, but she sure enjoyed the story and the pics.

Great accomplishment fellows!
Lon Scott

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Man I miss her...

Where or where can I find a good buddy like Kevin to haul all my moose meat?!  

I would imagine there are going to be some GREAT dinners coming out of those two.  MmmmMmmmGood.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Wow, just incredible Bryan!!! Here I am being jealous of all those big whitetails you shoot and then you have to go and do that! Congrats on a couple of awesome critters and on being lucky enough to have a good buddy up for playing the team sport of meat hauling!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©