3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching arrows  (Read 956 times)

Offline pdubya

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching arrows
« on: April 04, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I have managed a couple of decent board bows from hickory and now trying some arrows from river can and dowels.Have 2 sets of Turkey feathers as it is in season here in SC. I have fletched a couple by hand with thread and glue.
Question is looking at fletching jigs do I have to get left and right clamps or can you get straight and offset left or right. I have left and right wings. Kind of confusing. Also any recommendations on decent 1st flether.

Thanks

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
You need left and right HELICAL clamps to match with your feathers, but you can use either wing with a straight clamp.  Don't know for sure about the offset, but I suspect that would also work OK.  Don't mix right and left wing feathers on one shaft, though.  Bitzenberger is the Cadillac of fletching jigs.  You can't go wrong with it.  Jo-Jan would be second (IMO) and others after that.  Personally, I would not buy a plastic one.  Wouldn't trust it to not get glued to the arrow!!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
I started with a Bitzenburger with straight clamps and just adjusted the angle, now I have a left and a right hilex clamps.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
A new store opened in the town I work. I paid them a vist the other day just to look around. They had plastic BCA fletching jigs for $20 so I purchased the straight fletch with offset either left or right. The plastic is made from a matreial the glue will not stick to. The instruction state you can coat the edge of the clamp with bow or candle wax if you choose. The clamp is held in place with a strong magnet for the 3 to 5 minutes it take the glue to dry.

Prior to buying this jig I had used a Arazona EZfletch. Wow, what a difference. The EZ now cost about $50 and the quality of fletching you get are pretty poor with feathers. It works okay for veines. I much say the little $20 plastic BCA jig does a great job on both left and right wing feathers and the fletching come out as clost to perfect as one could expect. I was very surprised.

With that said, if you have the money buy the best metal jig you can find. I think the real difference is going to be how long the rotating components last. I plan on fletching a ton of arrows so ask me again in a year if the plastic held up and I'll be more than happy to report back an honest answer.

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
I own a Bitzenburger and plan to pick up a couple more.My kids and grandkids will be using those jigs.nuff said
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
The Bitz base of coarse will never wear out. I have however had two bitz. clamps wear through where the ball bearing pivot is inside the clamp. When that happens it no longer holds the fletch correctly.
I liked the BPE clamps mainly because of the glue not sticking. These clamps will fit the Bitz. base.

I now use the JO JAN multifletch and like it a lot.
They all work quite well.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline ringo64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
just keep tying 'em on by hand. get some sinew and use that to tie on the fletching. trt some 2 fletch arrows...they are really easy and cool.  

Offline pdubya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
Man, you guys are quick. Thanks for the info. I will probably get the jo-jan with left and right as it is 1/2 the price and hopefully adequate. Probably get a chopper as well as I am looking at the 3Rivers catalog. First one with scissors was not bad but looking at all the craftsmanship on here I need to get much better. Still working on pic posting.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
If your just just starting out forget about the bitzenwhatever. They are good fletchers, but they do the same thing the graylings, aae, and bohnings do. They put vanes or feathers on your arrows. I use graylings. Work just as good as the bitz and are about 30-40 dollars cheaper. Got them screwed down into a 2x6 board. Just make sure your feather is getting good contact with the shaft.

Offline pdubya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »

Here is the first rough arrow I did. Also first bow and string. Learned it all from here.

Offline pdubya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
Sorry Like a dumba__ I thought I sized under 600 pixels. Working on it.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 06:07:00 AM »
You can resize it at your Photobucket album. Just click Edit and follow the instructions.

You have my hearty admiration for learning your equipment from the ground up! That will be some sweet hunting this fall with all the tools made by your own hand.  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline pdubya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Thank you very much. It is turkey season here now the month of April. My buddy killed two opening day and gave me the wings.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
I started with a grayling clamp with a rt. helical. THis worked fine until I received a gift of a jo-jan (my father bought an old browning bow at a yard sale for 5.00---the guy says oh by the way you can have this too---in a box was a brand new jo-jan)--seems my dad found a good deal. If I had to buy one, I would reccommend a jo-jan.

You have plenty of feathers there--you will need a good burner also.

Offline pdubya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
This site is so cool. It would take forever to learn this stuff without this " inernet merchine " Anyway I have yet to buy modern supplies and have done my 2nd arrow with an office depot clip and scissors and dowel. Not great but  IMG]decent. All this info is great.

Offline pdubya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »

Offline pdubya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©